Was the gen 3 "dexcut" really seen as a big deal at the time...

Was the gen 3 "dexcut" really seen as a big deal at the time? I don't remember anyone complaining about it back in the day.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 143.45K)

Only to the proto genwunners who couldn't transfer their epic level 72 Charizard.

internet wasn't as easily accessible to younger people then, and there weren't as many big aggregates you could discuss the gen 3 reboot on without going out of your way to look for them

i figure the reboot took most people by surprise

A lot of people were pissy but didn't reach Dexit levels because there was no social media to add fuel to the fire. Even in the /tr/ days there were still people bitter over it.

Wasn't a real dexcut, because you could eventually catch them all again. Honestly at the time I was always restarting save files, over and over, so trading up treasured Pokémon wasn't a thing yet for me.

It literally ended pokemania because people couldn't bring their teams forward.
So there was no incentive for people to continue with the fad.

It wouldn't be until highschool (and DP) that people came back. The big return though was HGSS, fueled by nostalgia and the large amount of features they added.

No, it wasn't a big deal. In fact, we were so overjoyed that we were leaving Johto that we didn't care at all what they did or didn't put into the game.

That sounds like confirmation bias to me user, there's no way lack of transfer was a significant factor in Pokemania's end.
How many people even transfer their pokemon to begin with? Most players just restart a file when they're done and don't think to preserve anything.

it was used by nostalgiafags to justify dropping pokemon for years
shills try to paint it as a different thing (the dexcut precedent they've been looking for years) to defend GF, but it was criticized regardless

pokemania died because the kids grew up and it came before tbbt

i didn't give a shit and i was 13.
i just enjoyed the cool new games with cool new mons

>because
lol
lmao even

I was pretty bummed that I couldn't transfer up my old Pokemon from Silver, but it was exciting getting the otherwise unobtainable Johto Pokemon from Colosseum and FRLG

That's the difference btw, they were still in the game, unlike swsh dexit

>it was good because you had to buy another system to get pokémon that were on-cart but deleted from the GBA games
Kill yourself now cunt.

Lots of people complaining in forums, yea. The RBY/GSC section was more active than the RS section.

>it was good because if you really wanted you could buy a game that's worthwhile in itself and get them
yes
What's pretty stupid though is that they didn't use Pokémon Box, or Colosseum for that matter to allow you to transfer between Gen 2 and 3

>ctrl f "tech"(nology)
>0 results
>ctrl f "hard"(ware)
>0 results
>ctrl f "limit"(ations)
>0 results
Damn, the average vp poster is dumb as fuck

Attached: Duckman.gif (310x250, 247.17K)

>TamaHero

maybe it's because the thread is not about "what caused the lack of compatibility" but rather "what did the lack of compatibility cause"

>Muh limitations

Gen 3 carts had extra unused space, and converting a gen 2 Pokemons data structure to gen 3 could have been done easily, as shown by the Pokemon home support for gbc vc, or the guy on YouTube who recently made a trade converter device diy

So you are telling me it took only 20 years of technological progress for someone to find a way to make the GBC and GBA connect somehow?

>GB and GBC connecting to each other would be science fiction, the technology just wasn't there!
This was the same gen where Pokemon was one of the few games to use the GBA-Gamecube cable, Pokemon was the only reason most people ever bought an e-reader, and FRLG came with (and was afaik the only game to use) the wireless link adapter, but you think a GBC to GBA cable adapter would have been beyond the limits of technology? The problem was with the games not being built to recognize each other, the different hardware would have been a trivial fix if the software side was taken care of

*GBC and GBA

>or the guy on YouTube who recently made a trade converter device diy
watched this guy's videos, he's based
but he showed how fucking difficult it was, if anything
not talking about the "converting data" part, no this is easy shit
I'm talking about actually communicating between a GBC and a GBA through cable, which have drastically different hardware
It's understandable honestly, that they didn't go out of their way to ask Nintendo to do an adaptator, and then having to make it sell
They definitely could have, it just was not worth it in their eyes.

lol
Pokemania died before Gen 2 was even over with. Masuda talks about how they had Pokemania's demise in mind when making Gen 3.