How bad is gen 1 spritework really?

how bad is gen 1 spritework really?
like this seems pretty amateurish

Attached: keksz.jpg (608x380, 27.82K)

Honestly really bad and I don't really know why considering in 1997 almost year after the american release of Red and Blue they made way better sprites for the Kanto Mon

Attached: image_2022-06-30_153614492.png (134x127, 1.68K)

some sprites are really good. gyarados and mewtwo come to mind. others look awful. all around, the quality is all over the place

GF are just incompetent devs that got lucky.

they were basically amateurs when they made gen 1

They didn't even have desings settled for them until Ken Sugimori made artwork after the sprites were made

a lot of them look terrible

The backsprites look okay until you blow them up to four times the size. I think there were going for a depth of field / blur effect, while also fitting 350 sprites (including trainer classes) the game on a 1 MB cartridge.
I commend them for trying on this one, even though I never liked the look, even as a kid.
Gen 2 cartridges have twice the space, so this was dropped soon.

>I think there were going for a depth of field / blur effect,
dumbest zoomerpost I have read today.

that's literally the purpose

Look at the original Red and Green sprites.

Some of those are horrifying

it's a mixed bag, some a re really great, others are very physically awkward and poorly made. if you add in the green sprites and the beta sprites it makes a pretty cool gradient of someone(s?) improving their spriting skills over the course of development.

Yellow had the best sprites, true

Here's a list of games that came out leading up to Pokemon Red/Green adultlet.

Judge Dredd 27-Oct-95
Mahou Kishi Rayearth 2nd: The Missing Colors 27-Oct-95
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition 27-Oct-95
Matthias Sammer Soccer 24-Nov-95
J-League Big Wave Soccer JP
Ninku Dai-2-Tama: Ninku Sensouhen 24-Nov-95
Wedding Peach: Jamapii Panic 8-Dec-95
Kirby's Block Ball 14-Dec-95
Prehistorik Man 22-Dec-95
Tokyo Disneyland: Mickey no Cinderella Shiro Mystery Tour 22-Dec-95
Nintama Rantarō GB 27-Dec-95
Block Kuzushi GB 29-Dec-95
Pocket Monsters Green 27-Feb-96
Pokémon Red Version 27-Feb-96

Attached: c.jpg (320x180, 10.31K)

I think you answered your own question.
They made money. They spent it.

ok but did you have a point

if we're extending to yellow then they too are an interesting gradient of skill growth into gsc. they have a lot of the style of gsc, the heavy use of solid colour compared to red and blue, a lot of more dynamic poses, but also still some that are less skilful drawings in the odder gen 1 poses. i hope one day we can attach names to individual sprites and track the individual artists progression.

doesnt yellow forego dithering in favor of solid colors like the anime?

Yeah.
They all suck ass.
Like OP.
You'd probably have to be over the threshold for retardation to connect the dots and find the 'hidden' meaning here.

lmao what? people had been drawing sprites since the 80s, just because you changed console suddenly all artists got crippling shittydrawing-itis?

yeah it is definitely more animelike, and more on model with anime mons for the key ones