Why do people who rent get so mad when you tell them you own your own home? I just don't get it...

Why do people who rent get so mad when you tell them you own your own home? I just don't get it. Owning and renting cost the same now. Landlords price in mortgage, insurance, taxes and upkeep. If someone rents they pay all this for the landlord while the landlord also gets profit from their rental asset appreciating. There is literally no reason to rent any more. Owning a home is the only thing that makes sense these days. Why are renters mad about this? They aren't being forced to rent. They choose to ffs.

Attached: home owners.png (1624x1342, 3.14M)

personally i dont give a shit but there is no such thing as home ownership
the bank owns it and if you've paid it off you're renting from the state, its cheaper yes, but the taxes for the land are still rent

Changes nothing. Those costs are simply the cost of doing business. A house is an appreciating asset. It pays for it self when held long enough.
Honestly, the points you bring up are schizo conspiracy glass half empty / half full nonsense. Your viewpoints are not valid as they come from outside of society. If you don't like society and its ways you can fuck off. No one is forcing you to participate in society.

I'd rather own than rent, but let's not pretend there are no potential negatives to owning. It locks you down to a specific location, it locks up your capital in a down payment when you could rent and keep that money in something more liquid, and you will every so often have to deal with large and sometimes sudden maintenance costs like replacing a home's roof.

Owning is the better end of the deal, especially since mortgage payments reduce your tax bill. But it is a cost benefit.

i don't want to be financially and geographically caught in a shitty environment and not afford to leave when I want to. by renting i can leave that social sphere whenever I want. by renting i have more control over who I choose to live next to and minimize the risk of having to live next to some shitty neighbor. moreover, it's not like i'm tilling a farm or working the soil. LAND, AS AN ASSET, CAN BE DEPRECIATED and i'm not taking the risk of buying land that could be worthless at some point in my lifetime or buying land that i can't leave for my kids.

They are forced to rent. The only places you can buy a house are places you cannot make money

>the points you bring up are schizo conspiracy glass half empty / half full nonsense
stop paying taxes then and see who owns your house then

your bank owns it

because most housefags are arrogant retards who think they're financial geniuses. if you want a roof over your head and a fixed mortgage payment, that's cool. you are not, however, a 200 IQ genius for taking out a 95% LTV loan with a 30 year repayment period. your unrealized gains mean nothing when you 1) aren't going to sell and 2) even if you did sell, those gains would buy you an identically overpriced house. you're also not smart for getting a 3% mortgage. you were born in the right place at the right time -- that's it.

property tax is unconstitutional and should only apply to commercial property

I rent which causes me to piss away 7k a year but it also allows me to free up 40k a year for liquid investments which i am pretty good at trading and the benefits of which i shoudlnt need to explain on a crypto board. Last year my investments overall appreciated 100% when you average everything (crypto, boring mutuals, some etfs, some specific stock picks, some oil swing trades), while real estate went up 20%.

Just by the numbers it makes way more sense for me to make -100% on 7k and +100% on 40k than have it all in a house and end up +20% on 47k. For most people their investing journey starts and stops with buying a house and doing some company 401k matching and it isnt really a bad choice, i just know i can consistently beat real estate as an investment vehicle because ive been doing it for years now and trading is something i enjoy. Also i just dont see it as a bullish investment long term. I would buy long dated puts on a few select REITs before i seriously considered buying a house in this market to be quite frank...

Attached: 1655916596159 - 2022-06-22T103823.329.jpg (680x577, 57.97K)

>Owning and renting cost the same now.

Not where I live.

I pay $1735 to rent the town house I live in. The guy who owns it bought it in 2006 for $385,000.

Its current market value is $910,000.

I have $200k in savings. Which is just over 20%.

So with 20% down, take a $700,000 mortgage, taking on a 3.29% variable rate, because the FIXED is 6.69% and only for 5 years. We dont have LIFE LONG fixed rates here in Australia.

>Your principal and interest repayments would be $3,062 per month

Yeah, sorry OP, but youre just flat out wrong on this, me buying the town house I currently rent, would take me from paying $1,735 per month upto $3,062 per month, and thats with me dropping 20% down.

I want that 200k in crypto so I can get a 10-100X in the next decade and buy a house in CASH without needing a mortgage.

Attached: Interest rates.png (1047x525, 185.01K)

exact same thread was posted yesterday

lazy bots

>what is equity

> They aren't being forced to rent

Yes they are. If there are no homes available or banks won't give them loans then they are forced to rent.

Here's more

If i take 5 year fixed (MAX fixed rate I can get in Australia) - my monthly repayment would be $4,513.

As you can see, owning is far more expensive than renting.

At least in Australia.

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 4.05.19 am.png (1137x574, 99.93K)

>Why do people who rent get so mad when you tell them you own your own home? I just don't get it.
I don't think anyone except bottom barrel seething poorfags would get mad just for this. However, there's an odd brigade on Any Forums of homebuyer shills who for some reason keep making smug inflammatory threads about buying homes.

>There is literally no reason to rent any more
I'm wealthy and renting currently. My wife and I make a combined 300k salary + another 100k or so from investments.
We're renting a nice townhouse in the midwest for 1.5k/month. We will only be here for 3 years max before relocating to a different state.
Doesn't make much sense to buy a house and then try to sell it 3 years later. We're not house flippers and don't want the headache.

>Why do people who rent get so mad when you tell them you own your own home?
its more like

>jeeze ya my rent went up $400 a month

then some retarded gen x coworker butts in

>YA my zestimate is WAAY UP it's GREAT

Attached: 1654096258783.png (1000x900, 22.19K)

>if you've paid it off you're renting from the state

Attached: Wojak 06.png (260x260, 31.19K)

you pay taxes

>Owning and renting cost the same now
Patently false

>taxes are rent
Why do I listen to cretins who inhabit this board?

unrealized gains which cost you money (tax assessments) because we both know you aren't going to sell. and even if you did sell, you'd be swapping for a more or less identical house (rising tide lifts all boats etc.)

>"hey Mr. Govt, I want to live on this land"
>"ok but you have to pay us money to live on it"
>"alright good, at least Im not renting"

The concept of ownership is just a convenient abstraction for "I claim this as mine and I (or a 3rd party) have the power to enforce this claim".

You can make the argument that whomever does the "enforcing" is the real owner. Aka you pay taxes to the government and they enforce your claim.

aussies can't even into math
1.7k per month rent * 12 months * 5 years = 100k
100k into a house you own is 100k you can 'pull out' if you need

the answer is simply: rents (and aussies) are low-iq

>owning and renting are the same price now

You cannot be this stupid landlord leech.

So stop paying your taxes if you really believe that.