Can manufactured/mobile homes be good investments?

I just don't want to pay rent, but I've heard that manufactured/mobile homes aren't worth the buy. Why not? Wouldn't I be saving money if all I have to worry about is property taxes and utilities? Is there usually an association fee with these properties? Does anyone have experience to share?

Attached: mobilehome.png (626x418, 355.08K)

Better offputting a trailer in family members backyard

They can be an affordable way to live if you just want something modest. Make sure it is it's own property and not just a building on a rented lot, i.e. a leasehold. With those you're paying a big sum only to still be paying rent afterward.

its a car you live in
>no, terrible investment

People who don't lie here don't know but SoCal is full of trailer parks

A good investment? No.
A good home to live in? Yes.

House is a depreciating asset. Land is an appreciating asset. When you buy a manufactured home, you still need to rent the land that it sit on.

Like previous user said it's not bad if you get land. Bought one myself and have acreage. My friends have block homes that are more then double what I paid with their land being measured in square feet instead by acre. Also I don't have to deal with HOA commies.

Attached: cf4389d27fa2ba55c9f25c5030c07c34.jpg (1271x640, 71.52K)

>good home to live in? Yes.

LoL, only IF you own your own land. Otherwise you're living next to trailer trash

lol....LOL....LMAO!!!!!

They are a slightly more affordable form of housing if you are able to put them on your own piece of land. If you are doing that though you still have to pay for sewer/water lines, electric hookups and the sorts. You're better off spending the extra money to buy an existing house or building a fixed home for an extra 100k-200k.

Prefabricated homes are necessarily bad but they just dont gold value the same way. Plus the shame of living in redneck hovel housing full of synthetic/cheap wood products doesnt sound enticing.

Attached: hell.jpg (490x960, 99.36K)

Where I live the lot fees are $1000+

This

They're both appreciating assets, you dumb commie

Obviously you want to own the lot it’s on. Beyond that, manufactured homes built after ~2000 are better built and nicer homes than the average site built place that Javier and Juan put together. Machines don’t miss.

I would say it depends on location. A cheap house is great until you get testing weather conditions, then a cheap house is stressful as fuck.
It could be comfy 99% of the time, but those few days a year where you get extreme storms or downpours they aren't so chill anymore.

>muh gommies
he's right and you're a retard midnight black gorilla nigger

Never ever ever ever buy a mobile home and then rent the land it's on. It's fine to rent both the home and land and fine to own both the home and land. But never own the home and rent the land.

Is the FEMA trailer thing still a big issue over there? I saw a doco on it from 2015 about the trailers FEMA provided after hurricane Katrina being toxic and then being mass sold at auction once a court order to recover them had expired.

They degrade very quickly, after just 30 years they will be in need of serious repair to be livable and maybe 50 years at most before they completely fall apart and are worthless. Iirc you cannot legally purchase a mobile home from before 1979 though you can live in one if it's still livable. But the roof is not meant to last that long and replacing the roof on a 20-30 year old trailer costs more than the thing is worth

That said compared to renting an apartment, it's like what $40k for a decent trailer? Lot fees like $600, compared to an apartment at $1200 minimum it'll take 67 months, 5 and a half years to recoup your investment.
If you happen to own land it's vastly cheaper than building a house.

But, if you have that kind of money to buy the trailer outright you can probably get a down payment on a house which is a much better long term investment

If you live in a trailer park you'll have to pay a 'lot fee' which can be as much as rent on top of your mortgage.
If you can find a trailer on it's own parcel of land though go for it.