Making a big investment

I have around 200k in stocks right now but the return I have is not good.
I plan next week to invest 400k into a Vanguard American stocks fund that seems to average around 9% return each year.
Does this mean that each year this could make me 36k? (and more as it compounds)
Does this mean I won't have to worry about money so much in future? Seems too good to be true...

Attached: image_2022-07-24_015602572.png (976x850, 492.31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/personalfinance/
youtube.com/watch?v=aNrxggYT2s8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i would buy a small 10k bag of RLC on coinbase if I were you

I don't want to speculate on volatile cryptos I know nothing about

you are genuinely stupid

Well I never claimed to be a finance expert. What makes you say I'm stupid?

Bump.

That's based on historical returns, there is no guarantee of anything in the market you are taking risks to make those returns

Right but it seems like the historical returns have gone on for such a long time and may continue too. I also feel like it's less risky doing what I am doing than leaving the money in bank account with this inflation

It's a reasonable assumption just know it's not free money

reddit.com/r/personalfinance/

"average" returns is doing a lot of heavy lifting here. On a 20 year time frame this may be true, but you shouldn't plan on it occurring on a yearly basis.

I plan to leave this money in stocks for at least 10 years if not a few decades more so I'm fine with that

then go for it dude, and pray our society doesn't collapse

He's saying ur stupid because while on average the US broad market index returns ~8% a year theres a lot of volatility and draw down year to year. Its not a steady rate.

Some years are good some bad some uneventful. Add em up divided by number of years thats how the avg return is arrived at.

Also pulling the entire expected yearly return isn't what you're supposed to do if you want longevity to maintain the purchaisng power of the capital cause dun dun dun inflation. You need to keep some of the return in the principal to ensure to holds up purchasing power over the years and decades.

Should be able to pull ~ 3% - 5% safely, "4%" rule, sort of depends on persons age/time horizon, risk tolerance.

Lastly the price you're accoomulating said broad market stocks at matters too. Scary turbulent times. You could all in at the worst possible time and get F'ed in the A. See stock market early 00s and that decade.

Maybe DCA in if its not a LARP.

I dunno whatever good luck. How'd I do am I retarded too?

Source - NEET cause I said so

Attached: 1642286962832.jpg (656x1033, 477.31K)

You will probably be ok unless we have a 1929 90% draw down/melt down which is a low prob event

Most normal people tend to panic sell the bottoms and miss all of the upside but if you are going to diamond hand it for years you'll probably be ok

NO
NO
NO

We're entering a recession and at the end of the business cycle. INDEX INVESTING WILL YIELD 0 RETURNS OVER THE NEXT DECADE.

youtube.com/watch?v=aNrxggYT2s8

I suggest you buy TLT!!!!

Sorry I didn't explain it well. I have other cash that can sustain me for few decades so I will not be taking out any profits from this. I will reinvest everything and leave it in stocks for at least 10-15 years. Thanks for info

Cool in that case I'd suggest DCA (dollar cost averaging) in as opposed to Lump Sum Investing.

You can do the due diligence on that. People seem to lean on lump sum investing "time in the market beats, timing the market" yadda yadda pull out the proverb quote book when SHTF cause were in some crazy times.

Basically space out buys, space out sells.

You'll have to make your own decisions on the nuances. Which ETFS (SP500, NASDAQ) what brokerages to use. Tax savvy strats to offset pulling cap gains, if youre DCAing or LUMP summing. If you want to keep a minority allocation in bonds to smooth out the ride.

But yeah you'll figure it out. Just keep digging around

Attached: 1644153195560.jpg (1080x808, 86.8K)

If you're putting it in just add slowly. Don't do all 400k at once. Average in especially during this bear market. Things WILL drop further.

I was planning on drip feeding it into market. Should I put like 200k in to start and then do the rest over 6 months or so?

Try slowly dripping into the market by putting in 50k every month for the next few months. This is called dollar cost averaging and it's one of the best things you can do in a market like this