Untitled

Attached: IMG_8015.jpg (1080x499, 62.64K)

I agree. I'm trans btw

Nice rivals should be reserved to roles like Lucas/Dawn’s in DPPl. They’re boring to fight or have a “rivalry” with because they never end up caring about competing with you

watch this thread get 50+ posts in 15 minutes

every rival being a child makes us limited to child personalities. It's time gamefreak let's us play as an adult.

Because it's true.
Friendly faggots like May/Brendan and Barry are pussies compared to Blue and Silver.

Attached: gigachads.jpg (1710x900, 341.01K)

The mean ones somehow have more interesting character development and encourage the player to whip their ass.
The nice ones are whiny stop-gaps between areas and are too nice in the sense that the desire to fight them is more of a slog who give no real reason to be a rival other than in name alone, and even then it feels more like a one-sided relationship where the rival thinks you are their rival and you don't feel the same.
I felt this way all throughout S/M with Hop, with him just being this snoozer who I was disinterested in throughout the entire story, and then I met Gladion who actually felt like a proper rival.

Attached: Nyan.png (540x482, 190.04K)

You're really gonna tell me nice rivals are interesting when Brendan/May, the XY retard brigade, and Hau/Hop exist
Especially Hop, let's recycle a character we just used because fuck it

>Hau
Jesus fucking christ is he really that forgettable, or are the two characters the same? I forget myself anymore, what the fuck.

Attached: 1456449983137.jpg (142x141, 5.51K)

REMINDER

Attached: workedharder.png (1038x167, 39.34K)

Silver is fucking trash though. Still better than hops stupid ass i guess

Yes, it's easier to engage in a Rivalry with someone who is just messing up with you. And beating him (X) times is just even more satisfying than
>LMAO MALASADAS LETS FIGHT
>LMAO MALASADAS I LOSE
>LMAO MY BROTHER IS LEON LETS FIGHT
>LMAO MY BROTHER IS LEON I LOST
>LMAO MY BROTHER IS LEON I HAVE A LEGENDARY!

Blue is a friendly rival. Friends banter.
Silver and Bede are the only dicks.

>hurdur we couldn't make friendly-looking characters so we made them all angery instead
If they could make them look angery, they could make them look frienderly. They literally chose not to.

Attached: 1481155461829.jpg (406x364, 38.06K)

>Still better than hops stupid ass i guess
and Brendan/May, Wally, Cheren/Bianca, Hugh, the Kalos Four...

I've started feeling bad about beating the nice rivals

Like shit man, I dont even want them championship

Barry > Bede > Cheren > Blue > Silver
all the others don't even make the cut

Why is Cheren even there?
>HMPH *Glasses + something smart*
>50 times in a row

Fact is Pokemon games are designed to stroke your ego. Everyone in the world bends over to explain things to you, give you shit and tell you how big your dick is for having a full team of six pokemon. A friendly rival is just another friendly character in a friendly world where as some who is catty or aggressive leaves a stronger impression.

I legitimately forget Serena exist and the only time I remember her I just remember how depressing it was to crush her spirit.

Bede was the only asshole rival I didn't like, His whole "muh chairman" schtick sounds like a rich kid talking about how cool they are because of their parents. The fact that he gets to compete in the end game because the game puts words in your mouth is annoying too. The kid destroyed a historical landmark, he should be in jail.

Honestly this.
I feel like a lot of people look at his personality from the anime and think he's being snide with most of his dialogue, but a lot of the time he's just giving Red some genuine advice and calling him pal and stuff like that lol
>Bonjour! RED! Imagine seeing you here! RED, were you really invited?
>So how's your POKEDEX coming? I already caught 40 kinds, pal! Different kinds are everywhere! Crawl around in grassy areas!

Attached: blue.png (1280x720, 588.49K)

This is extremely easy to figure out, you want to have motivation to beat somebody, having an antagonistic rival fulfills that. You don't get the satisfaction of seeing an asshole storm off when your "rival" is happy-go-lucky and gets demolished with their type disadvantaged starter with a shit-eating grin on their face.

Mean rivals can be cool too. You don't have a sense of friendship with them but are still competing towards the same goal which is interesting because it's "true" rivarly. It's effective for growth and development.

Good character progression. I like that he questions himself and comes to the realization that he and his pokemon are growing together. Just a great rival.
Hugh aint bad, either, but I've never managed to stick it all the way through white 2 so I don't know the scope of his arc.

>90s
>rival is antagonistic and confrontational
>drives players to want to beat them
>overcome rival at climax of the game

>2020s
>rival is mean
>log on twitter and complain how problematic they are
>avoid them and cry

I like that bede beats hop mostly
shit is funny