Has anyone ever wondered WHY the standard format/Pokémon limit is six?

Has anyone ever wondered WHY the standard format/Pokémon limit is six?
What does it actually do for gameplay, why not five, why not seven?

Attached: 666.jpg (480x360, 40.28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pokeflix.tv/v/01-mystery-at-the-lighthouse
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Has anyone ever wondered WHY the standard format/Pokémon limit is six?

No.

Some spin offs had 8 and 7 because It didn't use capture with pokeballs, anime gave a reason but I forgot, It was when ash caught a crab, he got beamed to professor oak and ash called because he didn't expect It, but I think It's meant to give you enough of a chance if your front mons get their ass kicked while not making your opponent have a pantheon as his team gameplay wise

It feels like yet another one of those things that is just the way it is because that's just the way it's always been. Not even in in a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" way; it's just never been thought about.
I actually think the games would be better (i.e. more challenging, more involving) if you could carry LESS Pokémon.

internally they probably switched it up occasionally but it turns out six is the sweet spot

They usually get sent back to a researcher's lab (like Professor Oak) and people like Oak study them.
I'm guessing the 6 pokeball limit was put there intentionally by Professors so they could us children as free labor in capturing live specimens to further their research.

>I actually think the games would be better (i.e. more challenging, more involving) if you could carry LESS Pokémon.
Maybe that could be tied to the amount of gym badges you're carrying? The more you prove yourself, the more responsibility you're allowed to have.

Like Elden Ring Talisman slots?
Sounds legit.

The only games I can think of with less would be the pokemon dungeon ones but I feel you are right, It's been in place for very long
Sounds good, the better of a trainer the more pokemons you are allowed to use

Pokemon limits might actually be a way to keep the games fresh without just churning out a new batch of Pokemon every time inevitably filled 25-50% with shitmons no one will ever use.

The TCG comes to mind, where unlike the games you're encouraged to use multiple Pokemon of the same type due to the energy cost rather than create a varied team.

League rules. Want to compete in the league? You use six.

Same reason I don't wonder why NFL teams don't just field fifty guys at once.

You CAN use less than six though.
I imagine the NFL would ban an "uber" equivalent like an intergalactic robot or a multi-armed god, unlike the Pokemon League, too.

pokeflix.tv/v/01-mystery-at-the-lighthouse
They talk about it a little.
>you can trade your Pokemon with the professor by pokedex.
WHAT?

Don’t have the actual answer but I think it must be a sweet spot of having a varied team without having too much to manage. If you look up interviews about the development of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire they mention how they considered changing the number of pokemon you can have in your party (as well as number of moves), so they clearly have considered changing it well into the series and chose not to.

>there's nothing in the rulebook that says an intergalactic robot CAN'T play football!

Attached: 1615236672397.jpg (580x750, 30.43K)

I mean, are you saying that the Pokemon League were just unprepared for a ten-year old rocking up with a legendary phoenix, thunderbird and genetic genocide-machine? Because that's hilarious.

>Like Elden Ring Talisman slots?
>Sounds legit.
This one has only ever played two games in its life.

We really need to fill this fucking Air Bud loophole

Look at the party screen on the 8bit gameboy games. 6 fits perfectly without having to scroll the screen or redraw graphics to be smaller.

You're right.
It should only be three.
Far more challenging.

>anime gave a reason but I forgot
They said 6 mons at a time is pokemon league rules, same thing with 1v1 battle format but we see team rocket break this rule iirc