Still think people should give this game another chance

Still think people should give this game another chance.

Attached: pokkén tournament dx.jpg (500x820, 182.2K)

I mean, I don't even like regular Tekken.
A pokemon themed version of it won't change my mind either.

Why?

Because it's neat and I wish it had a more lively scene.

I actually really liked this game. Sceptile was based AF and if there's ever a Pokken 2 Sceptile better be in it.
The arena mode definitely hampered the game's splitscreen play though.

Attached: Sceptile Pokken.png (850x850, 150.23K)

It underperformed in arcades (what it was originally made for) then sold horribly across 2 hardware iterations, the second time with no Smash to compete with it for a year and a half.
She's dead Jim. TPC and Bamco aren't about to fuck more good money away after bad.

If the game was better, sure.

It plays nothing like Tekken at all, it just uses some thematic stuff from Tekken and nothing else.

I playe(d, still would just busy with irl stuff) competitively, and I agree, it's a fantastically designed game.

>tons of playstyle diversity, both for how two players will use the same character and how each character plays (EG: characters having unique mechanics like weavile's fastfall, braixen's support cancelling/support guage building, or on the extreme end darkrai being designed around doing full combos in the 3d phase with triggerable traps to then cause a shift with a specific move to enter an install state, or Aegislash having a unique parry and stance switching and getting more buffs the more you switch stances)

>Very well balanced roster (scene didn't even have a tier list for the first 1-2 years because it wasn't important, even characters considered bottom 6 regularly make top 8s, almost every major event has the top 8 having 7-8+ different characters

>2d-3d phase shift system acts as a anti-infinite system that forces a return to neutral and then the 3d phase acts as a second buffer layer of neutral before you re-enter the 2d phase; since different moves add different point values to the phase shift meter, high level play requires you to constantly change up your move choices and combo composition based on if shifting faster or staying in the current phase is more to your advantage at the moment, and weighing all the potential pros and cons (what's better in the matchup, changing who has the advantage state, potential meter gain from the shift, trading less damage for a faster/slower shift, etc)

>Height system exists so moves can bypass and punish each other rather then to bypass and punish blocking, leads to more reversal options and unique mixup opportunities, and as a result there is far more room to escape and turn pressure around or get out of pressure and return to neutral; due to this + the phase shift system, both players have a way more agency in determining the course of the match and to do mindgames

ran out of space

cont:

In terms of Pokemon fanservice, almost every type is represented, as are a variety of body types (bipeds, kaijumons, chibimons, quadrapeds, objectmons), every generation at the time of gen 7 has a playable character, and it covers both shillmons (zard, pikachu, lucario, mewtwo), popular mons (garchomp, blaziken, gardevoir, etc), more niche favorites (scizor, weavile, machamp, etc), out of left field picks (croagunk, chandelure, aegislash, etc), 2 of the other most popular non kaiju sized legendaries, braixen for fuirries/ashime fans, and even key fighting game archetypes like a Shoto, Ninja with substitutes and izuna drops, supowered dark boss form, a joke character, etc.

The flavor of each mon's personality and animations is also very good: firstly, moves actually have their game effects (hex does more damage with debuffs, hyper beam is very punishable as it has high recovery/endlag with mewtwo being stunned, etc), some moves have anime or dex references (bone club and siesmic toss having the anime apperances, gardevoir's super being a black hole, etc)

A character like Sceptile is characterized as a ninja: Leaf blade is presented like an iato sword slash, substitute is a wooden substitution log, it uses leaf shurikins that float in place as space denial tools (and bullet seed/leech seed as ground traps too), and then it has leaf storm as a anti air grab which is an izuna drop; so he uses the shuriken, traps, etc to lock down movement at a distance then use giga drain as a long range grab, the izuna drop, lead blade, etc to punish them trying to avoid the traps

Another example, Scizor is animated like a mech: his intro animation is just the gundam launch sequence, his wings have jet boosters, his claws fire stuff like cannons or projectile energy buzzsaws/blades and he gets butterfly gundam energy wings in his super, Weavile is a brat that tries to act edgy and aloof but trips up and acts cute then tries to hide it, etc

ran out of space again

cont:

I will say though that lke all comp fighting games the replay value comes from playing against other people and trying to improve/being in the community, it's got basically zero worthwhile single player content. But if you want a fighting game to get into at least to least play occasionally and to try to git gud at even if not to win tournaments, and you already have a switch, I reccomend it. Especially if you're into fighting games and sounds appealing.

Discord dot gg slash pokken is the main community location, there's a few other places but it's not like every other FGC scene where there's like 10 different major discords, we're more centralized. I can also suggest regular online events, etc

and thus ends my shilling session, answering other posts now

>hen sold horribly across 2 hardware iterations,
No, it didn't. It sold 1.3m units 9 months after launch on WiiU, and that much after 7 months on Switch, and both of those are 5+ years ago, it's almost certainly near or at or above 4m units total by now, or at least over 3m.

Are you in the main discord and such?

need one last post

cont:

>The arena mode definitely hampered the game's splitscreen play though.

Yes, though it also adds a lot of the competitive depth and emphasis on neutral and adaption: The 3d phase acts on top of the 2d phase base to act as an anti-infinite system that forces a return to neutral and as a buffer layer to neutral play, and also as a way to reward adaptive skill:

Since different moves have different shift point values (which cause the 2d > 3d shift once enough are accrued), at mid/high level play you need to consider that as a factor for move choice alongside damage, meter gain, frame data, etc; and actively change up your combo composition and move choices based on if shifting or staying in the current phase is more advantageous at the moment, the character matchup, etc

EX: You have the other player in the corner, you can use a combo that's safer/does more damage, but would cause a shift and you'd lose the pressure advantage, vs one that has less damage returns or is less safe, but would keep them in the corner as a sort of reset. Or maybe you're at low health but almost have fuill meter, and you have to choose between a higher damage combo that keeps you in the current phase, and one that does less but would cause a shift, giving you bonus meter and allowing you to get burst/health regen

I think I've given a pretty good picture of how it plays by now, but at least in terms of systems, as the other user says, it doesn't really play like Tekken. I've seen some players say some of the fundamentals and the "pace" of matches is close to tekken or the most recent soul calibur, the actual mechanics and systems aren't.

No Rock types. No buy.

>Are you in the main discord and such?
nta but I can't play the game with the Discordfags because the net is borderline dog poop and only above SSBU in terms of manageability and I live in SEA while the rest of y'all are from NA/EU

Do you use an ethernet adapter? I find my connections even with JP players as somebody in the US can be solid as long as we both have one. (and most players in the scene do)

>and I live in SEA

Southeast Asia is actually one of the most notable pokken scenes after Japan and North America, or at least Singapore is: I'd check out the @Pokkensingapore account, Coro and Enigma as mentioned in the bio and the discord there and ask around. You probably aren't in singapore in particular, but the connections you'd get will probably be your best bet? There's the OCE?aussie scene too.

As I said though with ethernet I often get pretty good connections (by delay based standards)

This plays nothing like Tekken

bump

Attached: pokemon-blastoise rain dance.gif (494x498, 3.5M)

>NEW SWITCH GAME!!!
>it's a wii u game...

>implying wiiu have games

yeah but the wii u didnt shove old games down our throats, which is really all that the Switch does instead of finish games like BOTW2, Bayonetta 3 and Prime 4

>Prime 4
Not trying to discredit your post but it feels like were never getting that till 2030.

>yeah but the wii u didnt shove old games down our throats
The wiiu didn't shove old games down your throat because it never had games in the first place

Actually the Wii U did with Wind Waker and Twilight Princess

That's because the Switch stole half of them, now they want us to buy them again at full price with like ONE free new character
wow. TWO games compared to the at least 50 they steal from Playstation. You know why they have Indie Directs? To hide their own proportionately small library. Meanwhile all the other platforms just show off a trailer that says it's available on that