Third Versions

Not taking into consideration sequels, gen. 8 marks the fourth generation of main games without a third version. The number of gens. without third versions now equals that of gens. with a third version (1 to 4). Is there any future to the now apparently obsolete tradition of "third version" games? Do you like the concept of "third version games" at all?

Attached: pokemon_z_confirmed.jpg (1274x1249, 310.52K)

>Third version = Less sales
>Two separate third versions (which defeats the purpose of third versions) = double sales

Those limited editions with the dlc built in don't count?

How does two enhanced versions defeat the purpose of a third version? It's not like any of the previous third versions had every Pokemon available, you'd still have to buy the regular versions to complete it.

3rd versions make me not want to replay the original pair of games. like how can i justify playing gold or silver when crystal exists. only one that doesnt do this to me is yellow because the sprites are so damn ugly

Would you consider USUM third versions? They're sort of in the grey zone not a sequel (as in BW2) but "updated" form of originals.

Not him but I do
They are more like emerald than platinum

Also it seems to me that third versions exist only because the team at GF is either lazy or incompetent. I can't come up with any justification for D/P not having what Pt introduced. Third versions were a way to "improve" rough edges, but in principle they shouldn't be something necessary. However, GF being what it is, I do think X/Y and Sw/Sh could've benefited from a third version. Now that they can easily put out DLC, I doubt third versions (perhaps even sequels) might a be thing in future gens.
Yeah, I'm probably stretching it a bit there with US/UM.

XY was screwed over by new gen/anniversary.

>Could have had a new game to polish it out
>Nope, shove satoshi-gekkouga and puni/zygarde into SM, that's it

Awful. USUM made me not want to play the games again but I was gifted SwSh and boy was I right. Arceus has left me hesitant as although it's unity asset garbage, I had fun.

BW2 is more of a standalone expansion than a sequel.

If any games needed a third version, it was X and Y. Unova and Alola are about as much as you'd expect from them.

There is no sequel, beyond Gold/Silver. They just called it a different name, to make it sell harder.

Attached: Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 00-52-10 Pokémon Direct - 09 01 2020.png (1214x683, 775.86K)

>They're sort of in the grey zone
lol no they aren't. USUM are 100% third versions

>Do you like the concept of "third version games" at all?
As far as them being "Director's cuts" yes, but personally now that Pokemon is effectively on home console I don't quite see them as necessary anymore. Frankly I don't see the point in releasing paired games anymore for that matter. I think they're at the point where releasing one single game would probably be the best option.

If the high ranks at GF cared about the quality of the games, the would've done that beginning with gen. 8.

There's pros and cons to them, as well as a DLC model

Third versions
>so far always an improvement over the base game
>new content is baked into the world naturally as opposed to an obvious side area
>story can focus on the third legend in the box trio
>Gyms and other steps in progression can be revisited without losing your save from the base game
>unfortunately requires buying another full-price game
>typically makes the base game obsolete, begging the question of why even make it, or suspicions of cut content

DLC
>doesn't require buying a new game that's mostly similar
>content is completely new and can be experienced right away, no starting a new game
>does fuck over those rare stoic individuals who always wait for third versions
>new content most likely delegated to a side area, which can be immersion breaking

Overall, even as someone who always ends up preferring third versions, I think a DLC model is healthier for the consumer

Attached: d4qziki-68241b81-b12a-4722-a610-765f91433075.jpg (480x272, 39.64K)

Sinnoh needed it more. DP are slow as fuck and the Pokemon distribution was ass. But yes, XY needed it second most.

I have to disagree.
DLC is never beneficial to the audience.

To give a good example why, I recently purchased a copy of Pokemon de Panepon. (Great game by the way, some of the most fun I've had with the series in years.)
I bought a cartridge off of eBay for about $5. Very few people are interested in playing it so the price has just dropped and dropped over the years. That is the highest form of "consumer friendliness", buying the game I want at the exact price someone is willing to sell it to me.
That isn't the case with DLC or any form of digitally distributed media. There isn't any practical way to resell it so generally your only options are buying it new, pirating it or ignoring it.
It results in a situation where I am willing to buy something at a price someone else is willing to sell it to me but we are being prevented from doing either. This is a much worse system.

I would like DLC much more if it functioned like an Amiibo. If I could purchase content in a Pokemon game in the form of a physical collectible card or something similar that would be much better because it would allow for a secondary market to exist.

Attached: 20190816_28a955.jpg (658x699, 169.01K)

Mareep isn't available in Crystal, therefore, it is unplayable.

Sword and Shield already have a physical release that comes with both DLCs.
Also
>Thinking any mainline Pokémon game will sell for cheap these days.
Even the Gen 1 and 2 games go for around $40, and 3-5 can go into the triple digits.

Based.
>omitting one of the very few Johtomons that isn't complete shit just to add two already very easily accessible mons to the route
What the fuck were they thinking?

>If I could purchase content in a Pokemon game in the form of a physical collectible card or something similar that would be much better because it would allow for a secondary market to exist.

Attached: 02-rigel-09-29-en.jpg (547x308, 73K)