Regional Forms

What's the point of regional forms? They're essentially different Pokémon with the same name.
With at least Meowth the different regional forms have:
>different typing
>different base stats
>different move pool

Sorry if this has been discussed to death but I just don't get it.

Attached: Meowths.jpg (776x658, 124K)

literally just more KANTOOOOOO pandering, with a few ones from other regions so it doesn't look too obvious

World building+not having to make as many designs while still having new options for players. It's also a chance to do a new take on the original idea.

Alolan meowth was built to be bread by human males

Keeps the numbers down so people can say there aren't 1000 Pokemon yet whilst being ignorant to the fact there are like 1300 designs.

viking meowth is a cool idea though

Gen 1 designs are good, but being the first, very generic. Regional forms allow Gamefreak to tap into the original inspiration without having duplicate pokemon with separate names.

e.g. Boufolant should have been a Tauros regional

I don't get it either. On that same token, what's the point of there being different breeds of dogs or cats? I wish all dogs were dobermans and all cats were tabby. Fuck that variety shit; it triggers my autism ugh.

Its add fun flavor to the world

How is it Kanto pandering to replace Pokémon from Kanto with ones from other regions just with the same name?
It would be like taking Gigalith and calling it Golem.

Attached: Golem.jpg (1142x775, 158.64K)

It's just a way of making more Pokemon without actually increasing the total number of Pokemon. Plus it gives some extra love to some that may have been forgotten about.
Sometimes these forms make sense, like Exeggutor or Corsola. Others don't, like Zigzagoon or Sandshrew.
There's definitely potential. Just a coin flip of if it makes any sense, and if it's cool anyways.

Attached: Regional Mightyena Line.jpg (2000x2000, 198.2K)

>Plus it gives some extra love to some that may have been forgotten about.
Well, to the species as a whole, maybe, but the original form often ends up in an awkward spot. Sometimes with the original becoming less relevant marketing-wise (Ninetales, Exeggutor...) and sometimes by getting cut off of possible evolutions/buffs (Farfetch'd, Corsola...)

It's supposed to mirror IRL biodiversity and divergent evolution. In my headcanon, a regional form is the missing link between an old species and a new species.

Kill youslef

Because rather than creating a new cat because they 'have' to, they can just reuse an old design and only bother if they have a good idea. It helps with dex inflation too, as others have pointed out already. That being said, it's lazy of them to just give regional forms to Kantomons, rather than giving something like Glameow a regional.

I think it's excusable when there's a good idea behind it. Like, the viking cat thing with Meowth is cool, as is giving a Meowth an evo that's more akin to it's prior form.
Shit like whatever the fuck the Geodude line is going for can fuck off though. Love Ariga, but that was definitely a dud.

Fun part is that almost the entirety of the 5th Gen designs were basically regional versions of Kanto Pokémon

It's their way to limit the amount of new pokemon.
So instead of having to design whole new pokemon they take the base form and add shit to it while changing around its move set.

They are ok. The only real issue I have is they should have done more.
>No football hooligan Primape

I agree, but I think Alola was fine for their first outing. Plus, there's bound to be a couple duds once in a while like Galarian Rapidash

>What's the point of regional forms?
laziness. making recolors is easier and faster than designing new pokemon.

>Fun part is that almost the entirety of the 5th Gen designs were basically regional versions of Kanto Pokémon
Imagine how many spare "slots" there could've been had they introduced regional variants instead of "filler" mons in Gen V.

>laziness. making recolors is easier and faster than designing new pokemon.
Laziness or efficiency?

laziness.