Nuzlocke General

>no nuzlocke thread
Fucking unforgivable.
Anyway, just started a HeartGold nuzlocke, it’s actually my very first nuzlocke and honestly I’m having a pretty fun time, needing to keep even 1 mon from fainting adds a lot to even the easiest of battles cause even a weak mon could take you out with an unlucky crit (I’m doing no items and on set, naturally)
Here’s my team:
>Walt the totodile lv 11
>Racksack the geodude lv 11
>Anne the rattata lv 10
>Rascal the pidgey lv 10
>Gritz the Spinarak lv 11
I lost a spearow to an unlucky crit, I killed a ghastly with an unlucky crit, and I even lost my chance at a wooper on route 32 after waiting till night specifically SO I can get a wooper because Walt thought it would be hilarious to get the minimum damage roll for scratch, taking only 1/3 of its HP, then some fucking how taking it out with what I can only assume is a max damage roll scratch cause it wasn’t a crit.

Attached: F98E5FAC-3FE9-4FCD-BF77-1DC9A313CC30.jpg (828x1524, 162.12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anonymshare.com/LAPr/template.psd
github.com/Ajarmar/universal-pokemon-randomizer-zx/releases
pastebin.com/8b3rHGuX
nuzlocke-generator.herokuapp.com/
nuzlocke-generator.com/
pastebin.com/etNFB00r
pastebin.com/hsJ0TaJ7
pastebin.com/GzWfs9Bz
pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx
pastebin.com/HmVC99sZ
pastebin.com/vvwTEgwJ
mediafire.com/file/sxu318m9an5ulbm/
mediafire.com/file/ueadxvt1f52m0md/
projectpokemon.org/docs/spriteindex_148/home-sprites-gen-1-r128/
mediafire.com/file/vmfck3jdowgn472
pastebin.com/VfXz0QPP
imgur.com/a/TAvilKr
imgur.com/a/vl3gywE
imgur.com/a/hzzUBuy
imgur.com/a/hIBtnWy
imgur.com/a/4EPIl3r
imgur.com/a/bNQz5Ym
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just replaced the batteries in my gen 2 games last night and decided to do a hardcore locke on cart.
Anyway just getting to before union cave. Going pretty smooth so far.
How do you guys usually treat trade mons? I traded the sprout I got for Rocky but dunno if I should count that as a Violet City encounter or a Route 32 encounter. Usually I don't do trades but I was a bit scared of Falkner having picked Chikorita.

v nice user, aside from the kinda shitty level caps (if youre playing with them) johto is a v comfy region to nuzlocke, good first pick.

Attached: Screenshot_20220505_113622.png (1305x706, 125.11K)

finished my black 2 run with only one audino left. never gonna underestimate the power of audino ever again

>How do you guys usually treat trade mons?
usually, if i have the pokemon and i can make the trade, its allowed

pretty solid team i'd say. just make sure to always play around critical hits since it is your first nuzlocke

Attached: cotton the audino completely fucking up iris.png (1006x1508, 205.2K)

i assumed the general was dead, it's been a moment since i saw a new thread
if it's a trade evo requiring an item that i don't have, i leave it unevolved, otherwise i evolve it if i can. ultimately it's your call

I mean like an in game npc trade. If you guys generally count it as an encounter for the town you got the trade in, or the encounter for the pokemon you traded away for it.

my bad, completely misread what you wrote. In that case I don't do in game trades, but I'd probably count it as an encounter for the route you caught the pokemon you're trading

damn a few months ago nuzgens were pretty lively, what happened

lots of shitposting happened that pushed thread fast out of the catalog
anyway i beat misty on my autismlocke. yay. great feat

Attached: 001 - 002.png (1600x750, 1.08M)

that's a pretty nice pic you've got

you reminded me someone asked for the template in an old thread and i made a quick version but the general died so couldnt find a place to post it
didnt rasterize the text layers so people could edit them easier, font names are bebas neue and bungee
everything is in their own smart objects, initially hidden to make the file size smaller. trainers badges and cap up to BW2 which was all i had time and sanity to do at once
use photopea if you dont have photoshop at home

anonymshare.com/LAPr/template.psd

Attached: 1521150550678.png (711x619, 192.28K)

Started a US nuzlocke on Ilima now with litten, inkay, zorua and furfrou

Also all my nuzlocke teams so far

Attached: InCollage_20220427_105415978.jpg (1080x4180, 3.29M)

>almost being wiped to kukui
how

un fucking believable. Took basically no damage on Bugsy's Metapod and Kakuna cheesing with Gastly. Then her Scyther comes in and starts rolling Fury Cutters, I get it para'd on the first lick. This mother fucker NEVER is fully para'd. Was alive for literally like 11 turns not a single full para, OHKO'd like half my team with a boosted fury cutter. I had this so in the bag just had to miss one single attack and i could OHKO it with a Geodude rock throw. Didn't even bring Onix cause I thought it would be such a piece of cake. Oh well. At least I got to keep Gastly and Zubat. Wonder if that is just insane bad luck or there is something weird about battle rng in gen 2 with moves like rollout and fury cutter.

Attached: Screenshot_20220505_164915.png (1305x704, 116.92K)

Board got a bit busier with the release of Arceus, but it seems like a game not a lot of people tried to nuzlocke, at least in the general, which means there wasn't some big surge of new runs like what normally accompanies a game's release. Which meant more board traffic, but not a lot of it diverted to /nuz/
Then Scarlet and Violet were announced, which upped board traffic even more, and a slow general thread like /nuz/ couldn't compete and got pushed out
Also with these kinds of generals there's usually like 1 dedicated guy who makes new threads when the old ones die, and it seems that that guy is gone now.
We need a new dedicated OP to make the threads so we still get new ones when the old ones die. We've had like 2 nuzlocke threads in the last 5 months as far as I can tell, not counting this one, which also means that the people who used to frequent the threads don't find them as easily, so they don't post in them.
And also the board seems to have recently taken on a weird, anti-nuzlocke mindset in general for some reason.
At least that's my assumption for what happened.

Attached: 20-5-me gusta.png (527x144, 8.7K)

Most people who actually play the games left Any Forums a long time ago. Just about every general related to playing them is dead.

That team is for the Whole League and mudsdale got KO'd by Olivia's lycanrok so i had no answer to Magnezone so i had to sac vikavolt and Muk

hey is that your cat. kiss your cat on the head for me

been doing some randomizer runs, doing platinum and i'm feeling good. just need to train up my makuhita more

that's an incredibly rough loss. at least the rattata wasn't guts, right?

Attached: randomizing is kinda fun.png (1006x1508, 152.42K)

noice

Update, I just got to Azalea town, added a Zubat and a Hoppip to my team, so far the only male on my team is Totodile and he’s killed the only 2 male encounters I’ve run into (Ghastly and Wooper). So basically Totodile cannonically has a harem going here, as long as he’s in the party ima try to keep the other 5 party members female.
This is indeed my cat. Sadly she’s at my GFs house rn so here’s a pic of her in some boxes

Attached: D92BD2FC-74D7-4B5D-AA2B-F424349A00E9.jpg (621x828, 93.11K)

Surge down. At first i was upset the diglett i caught was too high leveled to use on it, but considering my rules, its best to use diglett in yellow than any other game. i dont think i have any other stuff who could survive Raichu there, if i use nidoran male in red.

Attached: 001 - 003.png (1600x750, 1.08M)

About to fight Whitney, wish me luck lads. Given how horribly I was massacred with Bugsy's Scyther using Fury Cutter, I'm admittedly fucking horrified by Miltank. Don't really have a great rock resist either. This run has been a bit of a fucking trainwreck so far.

Attached: Screenshot_20220505_231419.png (1310x949, 183.58K)

Just another Burgh fight in Redux.

Attached: Screenshot (885).png (657x490, 119.44K)

just get dig on the national park and you can wall it. might be a pain if she lands attract though. or setup curses in clefairy (but be ready to be unlucky and it uses Thunder with metronome or something). good luck anyway!

Ty user! Ended up doing that actually, just stacking some curses with my slowpoke on her clefairy and just barely made it through. Metronome wasn't too bad aside from an ice punch into freeze but i defrosted pretty quick. No casualties thankfully.

Why is nuzlocking so cringe?

i am also doing US nuz right now
my current team is ampharos, the mermaid starter, talonflame, arbok (my surprise mvp), pangoro, and a totem version of lurantis
just got to poni island and was able to beat lusamine and guzma without casualties
so far my deaths have been a charbug, an inkay, a diglet, a zorua, a tyrantrum, and a zappy graveler
i can't seem to hold on to rock types they are too fragile

letting your friends control your pokemon can be hilarious at times
my friend controlling the golem used magnitude and fucked over my tentacool so that's funny

Attached: Pokemon Platinum Version 2022-05-05 23.55.28.png (1006x1508, 154.58K)

>Could never exactly have favorite pokemon
>Just some I like a lot.
>Decides to do a Genlocke.

oh boy, am I in trouble.

Tho I wonder if I should start with LeafGreen for Gen 1, or if I should be true to the name and start at RBY.

Attached: vee.jpg (1280x720, 103.17K)

>why is vp so cringe

doing a gen 1-3 autismlocke with an extra rule for every game and no fast-forward, andGod is grinding tedious, even when I'm doing 2 games at a time. I'll post my teams when I'm done, in a year or so

one thing that really helps with grinding on older games is using the randomizer to make xp rules work like BW and then giving 30% boost to wild pokemon levels. it does makes fighting wild pokemon a lot more dangerous as well, which i enjoy

Lost someone to Erika in a long time. I disgraced my family. Well, better losing Doduo here since i can still have dodrio in later games

Attached: 001 - 004.png (1600x750, 1.17M)

good to see dorian is still alive

hey what kind of run exactly is this, rule wise? what do the numbers on the left side signify? Im kinda curious, it looks interesting

Its just a level/pokemon cap. for brock for instance i could only use two pokemon, and only one could be at most lvl 14 while the second one could be at most lvl 12 to match his own levels. i cant repeat pokemon forms either so i cant use any of the pokemon in there for later gyms. its easier to remember when i put them in graphic form which is why i made that area.

Oh thank fuck these threads are back. I'm going for another Emerald attempt, and things are going pretty well so far. No deaths, some pretty good encounters with Electrike and Nincada (now Ninjask & Shedinja), and just beating Wattson. His Voltorb went boom on the first turn, which made the fight pretty spooky for Indy, my Marshtomp, but with some pivoting around his Magneton, we managed to get it down with barely not losing any members yet.
Also does Ninjask really have base 90 attack? Holy shit I've been sleeping on this thing.

Great looking team so far, and I love the template and ruleset you're going with. Are you banning the champion team members in future runs or nah?
If you're doing a true Genlocke, I recommend starting in RBY. Then you can either play one game from each release cycle, or be an autist like me and just do them all.
Good job making it through that fight, it's a rough one, so no casualties is a big improvement over Bugsy.

Attached: Part #3.png (1460x919, 418.24K)

I see, that actually seems pretty interesting ill have to try this sometime soon. Ive been kinda thinking how its a bit anticlimactic to be fighting gyms of 2 mons with a full party.

and then the other pat of a autism locke right is that you can't reuse pokemon across gens? like a series-wide dupes clause? Or like you can't reuse a team member for an e4/champ fight. These seem like an engaging challenge, ive pretty much only done vanilla hardcore lockes and like 2 randomizers so far.

yeah autismlockes usually have a "champs retire" rule for much needed variety since you could potentially be going through the same region several times.level caps help to not make things as easy as a full team against 2 mons like you said and it also helps to discourage grinding and make you rely more on strategy instead (specially if you dont use items in battle like most hardcore nuzlockes dont anyway)

>a mightyena still alive in a nuzlocke
Impressive

psst
don't sleep on zigzagoon. linoone can be a menace with STAB headbutt

zigs are great because Pickup on no buying item rulesets too

lot of funny deaths in my pseudo-friendlocke run

Attached: my friends suck at pokemon.png (656x596, 119.42K)

Why did you use magnitude on a tentacool

>losing the starter to selfdestruct
i feel your pain

my golem did, not me
so my locke's rules are that my friends control my pokemon
so one of my friends was a meditite that my tentacool said to throw in, so she died for shits n giggles
meditite comes back as a golem and gets revenge on the tentacool in the next double battle
it's not a very serious run but it has been pretty fun

>so my locke's rules are that my friends control my pokemon
how exactly does that work

Is there a better randomizer than Universal Pokemon Randomizer? I want to be able to change the levels of wild pokemon in Leaf green

Attached: 1574027135091.jpg (960x720, 42.82K)

youre using dabomstew UPR or zx? i dont know if theres anything better than zx. you can increase wild pokemon levels by % in it

you got a link for that, user?

Attached: 1635786650988.png (830x620, 301.15K)

github.com/Ajarmar/universal-pokemon-randomizer-zx/releases

its the one being kept updated afaik. can randomize the 3ds games as well

>open windows launcher bat
>Could not find the main class: com.dabomstew.pkrandom.newgui.NewRandomizerGUI.

uhhhhhhhhh

working fine to me. if you want to randomize a gba game just open the main .exe. the cmd ones are for randomizing 3ds

there are no cmds it justs .jar java files. I downloaded the newest version

yeah its the pokerandozx jar. if that doesnt work for you either then sorry, cant help. i just tried here and both opened fine

>Current Location
Route 118

>Badges

>Team
Ris the Reshiram Lv.34
Jolly,he likes to thrash about.

Bruce the Swampert Lv.33
Naughty,he is somewhat vain.

Francene the Flygon Lv.33
Gentle,she hates to lose

Mr Krabs the Kingler Lv.30
Hardy,he is somewhat vain.

Kingston the Donphan Lv.30
Calm,he is alert to sounds.

Noir the Darkrai Lv.31
Brave,he is mischievous.

>Graveyard
Will Smith the Mankey Lv.20
Rusty the Poochyena Lv.16
Jet the Swellow Lv.26

>Benched
Tosha the Pikachu
Franky the Feraligatr
Larxene the Luxray
Luffy the Infernape
Obama the Snover
Jim the Whisper
Sabrina the "Mr" Mime
Kevin the Patrat

Pokemon used in order caught until death,not really expecting both Legends to survive considering my record.

do I need the devkit version of java? (jdk)

Another update
Current team:
>Walt the totodile lv 15
>Gritz the Spinarak Lv 13
>Racksack the Geodude Lv 14
>Rascal the Pidgey Lv 13
>Jiffy-pop the Hoppip Lv 12
>Anne the Rattata Lv 13
Deceased:
>Forky the Spearow (Lost to a crit against fucking youngster joey)
>Sherbet the Zubat (Lost to the grunt with the Ekans in slowpoke well, it used wrap then spammed bite and Sherbet was only level 10)
Just beat the slowpoke well, haven't gotten any encounters there or in Ilex forest, Ima get those tomorrow before I battle Bugsy. I'm sorta scared for Bugsy, I have geodude but Scyther has a lot of attack and geodude technically doesn't resist uturn, so it'll hurt. Hopefully rock throw will 1 shot, I'm trying not to get anyone above level 15 for the fight cause I don't want it to be too easy

Probably, yeah.

one person is assigned to one pokemon in the party and they control it

bbbbump

they control it how, its my question. they stay with you while you play and issue commands? its some online thing? just sound werid is all.

Bump
Here's the op incase anyone needs the resources
Nuzlocke info
pastebin.com/8b3rHGuX
>Nuzlocke generator
nuzlocke-generator.herokuapp.com/
nuzlocke-generator.com/
>Guide to running the generator locally
pastebin.com/etNFB00r
>Links to official games (thru Sw/Sh)
pastebin.com/hsJ0TaJ7
>Romhack links
pastebin.com/GzWfs9Bz
pastebin.com/GfJ9zhqx
>Definitive emulator info (note that OpenEmu is the best option for Macfags period as RBY through B2W2 may all be played on it and all run smoothly)
pastebin.com/HmVC99sZ
>Difficulty list (Updated with Sword/Shield and XY without EXP Share on)
pastebin.com/vvwTEgwJ
>Pokémon Nuzlocke images
mediafire.com/file/sxu318m9an5ulbm/
>Pokémon Bank sprites
mediafire.com/file/ueadxvt1f52m0md/
>Pokémon Home Sprites
projectpokemon.org/docs/spriteindex_148/home-sprites-gen-1-r128/
>Additional templates
mediafire.com/file/vmfck3jdowgn472
>NEW: Level caps list, will expand/fix later
pastebin.com/VfXz0QPP

we need to update most of that stuff. i'll see what i can do after i offload a bit of extra work i still have pending

Finally continuing/starting my blue nuzlocke. went out of order for the first couple games, but going to play in generational order from here on
seems like a fun concept, although sounds confusing

Attached: Untitled.png (1794x514, 122.07K)

hard to know which games you finished before since its out of order. red, firered and emerald?

Yeah it's those three. That's mostly why I switched to doing them in order, so it's easier to tell

they choose the moves they select, whether they evolve or not, what moves they learn, etc
i control the player character and get to choose who gets to stay in the party and when to use items
it is online and a pain to get everybody together but it's fun

that does sound like a pain to set up, surprised you even managed to get all games done like that. good work

Rock Throw will either 1 hit KO or leave it close. you'll be fine

Brock was expectedly not bad, Bucket hit level 15 after fainting the onix. Definitely over prepared, but it might be slightly harder with misty if i can't get a grass type

Attached: Untitled2.png (1822x747, 472.65K)

Your captures are basically identical to mine. Wee variety in older games.

I've seen a couple people attempt it but its really not built for it. You get a dozen mandatory fights, and you only encounter people with more than two at the end of the game.
Not sure where the anti-nuzlocke mindest came from either. If I had to take a shot in the dark its cause that one guy talked shit on gen 2 and that triggered Any Forums which naturally led to them hating on nuzlocking as a whole?

I have had the worst luck with hyper fang. 3 separate critical kills, and then an unlucky loss on the misty fight. I forget how hard that starmie can hit
yeah it really is slim pickings in the beginning, especially with previous runs preventing me from getting champion mons

Attached: my luck.png (1823x749, 498.78K)

I think some of it comes from hate for some youtube guy
The majority of the threads I've found while refreshing the catalog while searching "nuz" every day while the general is down is usually some unamused/unenthused reaction image
>Pro Nuzlocker
as the only text. Which granted, yeah, if you call yourself a pro nuzlocker, you're a tremendous fucking tool, but when the general is down it's basically the only thing you see people posting about nuzlockes. So maybe people are mostly shitting on nuzlockes as an extension of shitting on him.

I'm about to play every generation in order and some games (RBG, RSE, HGSS) will be my first time playing through the region.
I'd like to be able to enjoy each one to it's fullest. Would you guys say a nuzlocke would detract from a first playthrough experience?

Attached: 1632281499709.gif (450x350, 360.17K)

>Would you guys say a nuzlocke would detract from a first playthrough experience?
Not really, specially if youre experienced with pokemon already. I can't play the game normally anymore, its just too easy, it makes me lose interest, even in new ones. So i always nuzlocke first time anyway. You can always "cheat" if you get too attached to a guy anyway.

That sounds good.
Guess I'm just slightly worried that the nuzlocke might be too "intense" and make me miss out on stuff.

My first experience with both the original RBY as well as FRLG was a nuzlocke and it actually improved the experience, in my opinion.
Some of the games will absolutely fuck you if it's a blind experience though. Things like the difficulty spikes in GSC/HGSS, Platinum hits you with bullshit sometimes, and depending on what you catch, you can just be completely fucked in SM/USUM. I think it should be fine though. No reason you can't set up your own rules for certain things anyway to make the experience more of an experience.
>Captcha: G0NNY
I'm sure that's not a bad omen.

Posted in another thread but I beat an Emerald hardcore nuzlocke today with a team consisting of Salamence, Swampert, Absol (sacked to Wallace), Magneton (MVP), Starmie, and Ludicolo. Considering making it a Genlocke and going to Platinum.

>Some of the games will absolutely fuck you if it's a blind experience though
That's a bit worrying, ngl.
But I suppose it IS part of the main game so it's just another part of the experience as well.
I really like the idea of feeling more attached to a pokemon because of the circumstances of a nuzlocke so I guess I'll just have to suck it up and play them.
>I'm sure that's not a bad omen.
Please don't

Attached: 1583701756358.png (2300x1600, 1.39M)

Played on through Mt. Chimney and the Lavaridge Gym. Unfortunately, we had our first death in Shuriken; she died to Maxie's Camerupt when I got too cocky with Double Team & Swords Dance and left it out. Brought in Krakatoa to replace her, and Flannery went down really easy to Indy.

Like another guy said, I personally feel that once you start playing a Nuzlocke, it kinda becomes the default way you experience the game. I told myself I was gonna play BD/SP casually, but I found myself falling into the pattern of a Nuzlocke. Going in blind definitely makes a Nuzlocke a lot more challenging though, so take from that what you will.
Hyper Fang crits are brutal, sorry for the losses. Definitely a functional team though.
Geodude's defense is high enough and Rock Throw will OHKO or THKO. Just play it right and you'll be fine.
Mightyena's been surprisingly clutch, it hits pretty fucking hard and Intimidate is great to have. It's getting about time to sub it out for something else unfortunately, so here's hoping Joker gets to retire on his own terms.
Definitely respect Zigs, but I decided to run with Whismur & Loudred for this run. It's worked out well so far.
Yeah, the ruleset is that the surviving champs are banned from future runs. I have an exception for split evolutions though--Vileplume is banned for me, but I can still use Bellossom. Not sure if people agree with that perspective, but that's how I like to do it. A series-wide dupes clause seems pretty fucking brutal.

Attached: Part #4.png (1460x919, 439.94K)

It really helped my run of Red. Lots of stuff I would have otherwise skipped over if I was just picking and choosing what to train. I never would have used a Fearow over a Pidgey in any other circumstance and that thing ended up being one of my team's aces. And not knowing all the exploits made my time a little more difficult.
Also, you might want to introduce some special rules for the EXP share once you get to Gen 6/7's games. At least in my experience, leaving it on all the time leaves you super over-leveled and overpowered, while leaving it off completely makes the grinding infinitely worse. It's really poorly balanced and I made a rule where I either switch it off or on after gyms/totems depending on if I felt too strong/too weak
Or you could just disregard that, having an easier time probably won't effect your experience of the games too much compared to just playing them normally, after all

Good morning not quite /nuz/
Previously on the shitty MSPaint Nuzlocke

Attached: 12-1 The Elite 4.png (528x5549, 287.81K)

It's The End
Imgur soon

Attached: 12-2 The Elite 4 part 2.png (528x4387, 444.16K)

Emerald: imgur.com/a/TAvilKr
Randomized HeartGold (Season 1): imgur.com/a/vl3gywE
I swear to fuck if it puts the images out of order again I'm going to have a stroke
Here's a bonus lore comic that I usually save for the Imgur.

Attached: 12-3 Epilogue.png (476x1103, 38.49K)

good work user

the grinding part aint no fun

I actually disagree lol, I find the grinding can be rather comfy, you just need to be in the right mindset, as in you need to be at peace with the fact that you’ll be doing something mindless for a long time, so you should let yourself zone out to avoid frustration. In the Johto games in particular I get a kick out of turning around and talking to my mon between every few battles, and occasionally you’ll get some phone calls to break up the pace too

it's not too bad, though i tend to turn the speed up and put a video on to watch so i'm not just only grinding

then don't grind user. there are literal 0xp runs out there. a bit of creativity goes a long way, the AI is dumb enough to allow it. or just use a randomizer to increase wild pokemon xp so a couple of battles can be enough to get you up to speed

you could always just pkhex in rare candies
most people don't risk losing mon's when grinding, so all that really changes is time lost

The only time grinding is unbearable imo is if you’re doing it on cartridge. On emulators it’s easy with speed up + pkhex

Base absolutely tore through Surge's gym. hyper fang is definitely getting revenge for the deaths we got prior. can't wait to bumble my way through rock tunnel
I'm liking your names for your mons, sorry about your loss with shuriken
congrats on the win user

Attached: thunder badge get.png (1823x745, 588.49K)

Love these

>on a pb run
>Accidently hit "save file" instead of load
>overwrite the pb with the fresh file I keep for resets
I don't even have another save that's remotely close to where I was. The run was rough, but it was my best one and now it's totally gone.

Attached: __mimikyu_pokemon_drawn_by_kemosuk__49692768ab84aa92cc61af1c979b103f.jpg (1300x1000, 121.71K)

Thank, Anons
And now, a quick preview of the next run, which will probably get a comic after it's actually finished
Just got to Mt. Moon. Going to resume soon.
Will also do the post-game for HG once this run is over, for better or worse

Attached: 01 Only Make Like A Tree New Beginning Edition.png (1348x1020, 517.02K)

I'm looking for some gen 3 hacks that are more difficult but don't expand the pokedex
I'm getting bored of nuzlocking the base games but pretty much every hack I see blows out the dex

So sorry for your loss user.

What's that one pokemon you never took seriously before nuzlocking?
I love tentacruel now

Pokémon like tentacool and Zubat are so common that it can be easy to forget they’re actually really good

I really like zubat and once tried to use it in a gen 1 nuzlocke
I guess that's a way to keep nuzlockes interesting, use poorly optimized mons

> I guess that's a way to keep nuzlockes interesting, use poorly optimized mons
Funny you should say this, I was using a spinarak in my HeartGold nuzlocke, a Pokémon who’s anything but powerful, but it single handedly saved my ass from Silvers bayleaf (who was 5 levels higher than my team) simply because the match up was THAT good, quad resisting it’s only offensive move, unable to be poisoned, and it didn’t matter how many times it spammed reflect or synthesis cause leech life was doing reasonable damage and healing most of what razor leaf did in return. It’s funny how rarely used Pokémon can have surprisingly helpful niches in the single player

audino
that thing was an absolute monster in my black 2 run

spinarak sucks so much but I love it
for some reason, aradios learning psychic made me really want to use one on my team as a kid, and I thought it was really powerful just because it learned psychic

>drayano 'jokes' that he doesn't intend for his games to be nuzlocked
>play drayano hack (BB2R)
>first encounter on every route is always that gen's generic rat/bird/bug
>every encounter after is some fun natdex mon
really makes you think

I don't really like the design of drayano's games and think the trend of stuffing so many pokemon into the regions SUCKS
give me difficulty hacks with reasonable dex sizes pls

I'd rather have too much variety than none at all
thinking about nuzlocking a vanilla gen 1/2 game makes me ill, and even gen 3 is on thin ice

yeah that's not what I'm about at all. there are games to use any pokemon in, I don't need them all in one game. a sense of design, or a sense of ecology, is what I enjoy.

>a sense of design, or a sense of ecology, is what I enjoy.
This. I hate how many hacks just stuff the games full of random mons for the sake of “variety” as if being able to team build from a pool of dozens of unique species isn’t enough variety as is. The old games only start to feel like they lack variety after your 20th playthrough once you’ve used basically everything at least once, but that’s hardly a fault of the games

There is a lot your can do with 250-300 pokemon, and it never feels like the games that go above that really justify it. Official or fanmade.
I understand why people like the variety, though, and don't expect it to go away. Maybe I should just make my own gen 3 hacks.

This is my biggest gripe with difficulty hacks. Ended up learning how to edit trainers every gen so I can add difficulty without going outside the dex

yeah, I think I might do something like that for frlg and rse. it should be pretty easy with modern decomps.
I would also like to turn off the badge boost

It’s pretty easy for every game. They pretty much all have a dedicated trainer editor

oh, sweet, I guess I've never looked for that in particular. Sounds like a fun project to me. Hopefully other people are interested in an authentic gen 3 experience, just with smarter and tougher design

I want to give a shout out to the user that told me to try Gaia in the last thread. It was an extremely rocky run, but I made it, and I had a great time.

Attached: Screenshot (11138).png (1499x759, 531.11K)

So does anyone write down their journey as they're playing?
How often do you write?
While you're playing? After each gym/death?

I wanna record mine, but don't know how to go about it. (not record as in a video, I just wanna keep like a journal of stuff that happens).

Attached: 1650479265455.gif (219x222, 39.41K)

I do a mix depending on how things have been going. Usually just keep a log of what I catch, where, interesting interactions/close calls, and how important battles played out.
And I also have an over-arching autistic story between my runs that I add to it, one which I'm slowly beginning to incorporate into my shitty comic

I suppose the story will probably never get finished, now
but I wrote a big story for my emerald nuzlocke back in 2010, right as the challenge was invented.
I always intended to carry the character of Brandon forward into my other stories as Looker. He's on a tight leash by the ruling body of the leagues but is trying to prevent disasters like kyogre/groudon's awakening

Sounds neat. Why do you think it'll never get finished?
Just gave up on it, lost passion for it, or something else?
A funny thing, when one of my runs got its save file entirely lost, I actually incorporated that as a major story element and made some changes to it, there's always options to incorporate some hang-up as part of the story.

oh, just a lot of reasons. less time, less motivation, every year I got further away from the original story so it "mattered" less
I would like to pick it back up one day, but I would need to be really motivated to pick up my platinum story again
I have all the original save files, though. Either on backup or still on the cart.

Oh shit, I didn't see this thread was up. I was holding onto these pages for nothing.
Yellow: imgur.com/a/hzzUBuy
Crystal: imgur.com/a/hIBtnWy
Emerald: imgur.com/a/4EPIl3r
Platinum: imgur.com/a/bNQz5Ym

Attached: Platinum Mode Page 4.png (1267x10000, 2.98M)

Attached: Platinum Mode Page 5.png (1031x10000, 3.01M)

Attached: Platinum Mode Page 6.png (1117x10000, 2.7M)

Well if it was a lack of motivation, I can understand.
I get hit by that a lot with my dumb comic.
Sometimes I get hit by that just on principal of doing runs at all.
I stopped my emerald run for over a year, twice.

bump

I know the thread's nowhere near dying at the moment, but here's a discussion topic to keep the thread bumped before I go to bed
What weird ruleset shit have you come up with to spice up your runs?
Aside from the common stuff like limits or bannings on items/pokemon center visits, or using Set as the battle mode as God intended, do you have any convoluted rules that you adhere to?
I have Schrodinger's Dupes Clause.
If the dupes clause would activate based on a dead party member, I can make the decision in that moment to either hard-lock myself out any dupes whatsoever for the rest of the run, or ignore dupes clause on dead former party members, but then always have to adhere to that for the rest of the run. So no using dupes clause on dead shit for encounter manipulation and things like that.

I like to implement a "can't leave the gym once you enter" rule.

Didn't even see this thread but I just started a nuzlocke a couple hours ago. I don't do them very often but I was in the mood. Got a shroomish luckily but I nearly wiped right after because I ran into a trainer without unparalyzing my mudkips, and then another one right after

Attached: 1652097308129.jpg (1452x1935, 2.21M)

Dustox is fun to run with early, hopefully the rest of your run goes well.

Rock tunnel is so much harder than Erika was. The amount of close calls I got in rock tunnel with all the hikers with self destruct was insane. I'm glad i stocked up on some escape ropes

Attached: Erika down.png (1824x749, 599.86K)

>What weird ruleset shit have you come up with to spice up your runs?
i dont think many if any use the form rule i use. basically i cant use the same pokemon in different gyms, so i need to think more about who am i using against who and i don't settle on a single team forever even when things are going well. it also makes holding back on evolutions a strategic decision so i dont "burn" a form on a gym for nothing.

>three down to crit hyper fang
Guess you`re not a fan of the move huhr

Have been on a long break, but I actually beat Lana, Kiawe and Mallow's trials before it, just didn't post my updates.
>Vs Totem Araquanid
McCloud hits it with Charge Beam(it gets weakened by Wacan) and powers up. It hits back with Leech Life, and then calls a Dewpider ally.
I fire of another Charge Beam, but Araquanid lives and hits back quite respectably with Bubble. Dewpider uses Sticky Web.
A third Charge Beam KOs the Totem, and the Dewpider fires of a Bubble, reducing McCloud to only 10 HP(if it had attacked instead of using Sticky Web, McCloud would have died).
A final Charge Beam KOs Dewpider.
Probably won't be using Cha the Hawlucha this run except as a reserve if my other mons died, as Hawlucha is almost as busted here as Gyarados tends to be in Nuzlockes

Attached: Vs Araquanid.png (1600x920, 618.15K)

>What weird ruleset shit have you come up with to spice up your runs?
here. Adjusted level caps. Regular level caps massively benefits a lot of strong mons in the Slow experience group(see Gyarados and others), while handicapping a lot of weaker mons that are in faster Exp Groups(like Wigglytuff and Grumpig).

Attached: Exp Caps Ultra Sun.png (1403x746, 77.91K)

Even if I don't necessarily Nuzlocke newer games, I at least use the "no items in battle" and play on set as a rule.
Though I do make exceptions at times because having shitmons with the Simple Ability run a train on an opponents team after grabbing an X Item(in later gens, that's a +4) can be cathartic.

Man this game rlly does not want you to use stone evo mons huh. Would love to add Ninetales or Exeggutor but I guess it'll have to wait. Team is absolutely fucked by psychic but hopefully I'll be able to friendship evo this fuckin eevee soon to Umbreon. Friendship grinding on an actual cart without speed up is really a pain in the ass lol.

Attached: Screenshot_20220509_165044.png (1310x1036, 227.09K)

Use your phone. Both stones are available from npcs around goldenrod

According to everywhere I looked that's only in Crystal iirc. In og GS the only way is from Bills grandfather in Kanto and you can only get one of each type per game it's pretty dumb.

you might be right, sorry to be wrong online :(

its alright user i appreciate the tip regardless :)

the last time I played regular silver was to speedrun it, otherwise I play crystal so I honestly didn't know

>speedrun
Cool, its a sort of challenge i dont really see much point, but a challenge nonetheless. How did it go? Glitched or glitchless?

There's some NPC's who might give you stones if you give your phone number.

only in Crystal user

does anything ever die in a gen 2 nuzlocke

been experimenting with a "rocketlocke" idea in soul silver
>standard nuzlocke rules (pokemon dies it faints, one pokemon per location, etc etc)
>can only catch pokemon via stealing them from their trainers using a catch trainer pokemon cheat
>rocket grunt costume optional but very much encouraged
any other ideas i could tack on to this?

Attached: stole falkner's pidgeotto get fucked loser.png (1006x1508, 225.01K)

I believe this is all happening for a reason

he said the thing

forced loss to any trainer who has a pikachu
sorry youre never beating red

Tape made quick work of Koga. I was worried about self destruct, but weezing used toxic on the first turn, helping immensely. I also was lucky and managed to get a dratini in the safari zone, though unsure if it's worth keeping on the team
would it be the first pokemon of the first trainer you see, or would you choose trainer/pokemon?

Attached: Master koga done.png (1825x748, 585.55K)

aw rats :(

probably first pokemon of the trainer in order to test trainer dodging skills

>psyduck
where do you get psyduck in blue again? i dont remember

I caught it in cerulean. You can fish in the water in the gym.

Finals are finally over so i'm just going to run through the rest of this run today
Forgot to give an update after Sabrina, but she went down fairly easily. Poisoned Alakazam and took her down from their. Pan was taking care of Blaine until arcanine took him out. Lee cleaned up the rest. Not sure who I will put on the time to replace Pan, probably the geodude
that would make sense, sounds fun

Attached: giovanni next.png (1825x769, 504.11K)

Last post before wipe or win. made a stupid decision on keeping Jet out on a gyarados, thought i could outspeed but did not.
I don't think meta will do much during the elite four, but i don't think i'll have another chance to use a ditto

Attached: here we go.png (1824x765, 684.19K)

i can think of some good routes that have dittos too on the future so if youre retiring champs, try to keep it alive so you dont need to waste another encounter on it

Beat the elite four, but not without losing some members. Tried to let Meta fight, but couldn't tank any hits. Everyone else managed to pull decent work throughout the battles at least

Attached: Blue winning team.png (1824x762, 512.36K)

hell yeah love to see hallow still alive

Hallow honestly probably did most of the work. Taking put Agatha and sleep/confusing through lance and the rival fight really made things easier

>Using a dragonite

LAME! Just kidding, thats some godly luck to not only get something at the safari zone but a drattini even. I'm definitely jealous

honestly i'm surprised too. i was even being cocky and threw two rocks before catching it. i fully expected it to run every turn

You guys really seem to have a fun time in this general. I haven't really buckled down for a Nuzlocke run in ages. Starting a Sacred Gold run right now. Choose my starter Any Forums.

Attached: Screenshot from 2021-08-24 06-31-29.png (380x288, 11.9K)

I'm liking this name already.

Attached: Tits or GTFO.png (386x285, 22.54K)

lots of hgss this thread
have fun in johto, friends

chikorita if u havent already

>Go to get encounter for a new area
>Run into a Pokémon
>”Oh cool, I really like this Pokémon”
>Catch it
>Give it a name and start coming up for headcannons for it’s personality right off the bat
>It’s nature even matches the personality I came up with
>Go to grind it up
>Dies turn one on the first encounter to a crit
Literally had to take a moment, that fucking stung. At least it happened right away, my last death happened RIGHT AFTER I grinded it up for 30 min. Still absolutely seething.

Attached: AECF98A1-CD8F-4536-98FE-080886A1C986.png (894x773, 23.34K)

This happens to me all the time in BW and BW2. I swear theres something fucked about the crit chances in those games, specially in the very beginning. Seems like im getting critted 7 out of 10 times every time

desu I just always use Noble Death clause now or whatever its called where only deaths in trainer battles count
if that makes me a coward so be it

I would do this but honestly it’s my own fault, it was quite underleveled and I was being a little to greedy in choosing where to grind it up, should’ve known the danger. I’m already starting to get over it anyway, just needed to vent about it. It wasn’t that I LOVED the mon but it felt weird imagining all the potential future uses of the mon only to be stopped mid-thought by the sight of its HP bar dropping to 0.

This part of the game is really a bit of a slog grinding up to the level cap. Finally got Siouxsie to evolve though which took forever on actual hardware. Lost Dunhill and Hondashi to pure carelessness which sucks I was kinda excited to use a Heracross but I think I'm still in pretty good shape. Haven't decided if I'm going to allow trade evos yet or not. Maybe I'll wait until they hit the level required to evolve with that one setting in the Universal Randomizer to kinda balance it out a bit. Anyway as if the last three gyms weren't enough of a slog I'm about to start the radio tower takeover bit.

Attached: Screenshot_20220510_184519.png (1313x1032, 264.63K)

You actually grind all the way to the level cap? Usually even in nuzlockes im a few levels below them, especially when it would require grinding not to be

I always do it, because I'd feel really silly if I ended up losing because I didn't do something that I was allowed to do.

Had my stupidest death ever in a run today. (Playing Platinum) Left my Monferno in against a Geodude thinking I would OHKO it with Mach Punch, but it lived in the red and OHKO’d Monferno with Magnitude 10. In other news, I had my best flawless Fantina battle ever thanks to Captivate/Sand Attack from Umbreon, Crobat, and Dread Plate boosted Bite from Gyarados.

Not him but depending on the gym i get closer to the cap or dont care. Something tricky like Elesa or Morty (i always have trouble with stupid morty) i always make sure to have someone on the max level i can

What is /nuz/'s opinion on the youtube channel pokémon challenge?

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH IT FUCKING HAPPENED AGAIN
>Walking through route 35 with slowpoke in front
>Run into level 13 rattata
>Press run without thinking
>Can’t get away cause obvious speed gap
>Rattata kills my fucking slowpoke with bite
Like fuck man, dammit. 3 out of my 4 deaths have been from wild mons, I gotta start treading carefully, really carefully. This hurts dude, I liked that slowpoke. His name was hunk chunk and he was my boy. I’m literally at goldenrod and I still only have 7 living team members.

could be worse, setting up 30% more levels to wild mons helps when you need to ground, but mid to end game wild pokemon become insanely dangerous and you're probably not going to be able to repel anything and only run if you have the abilities or a fast mon in front. dark grass in BW/2? sheesh, i always fear losing someone to them

I usually do or at least a level or at least a bit before it. In this case I lost 2 team members recently so I had to grind up my new mons anyway for Chuck/Pyrce/Jasmine but didn't go all the way just for Jasmine's Steelix which is 5 levels above.

Interesting. I obviously grind up to be higher leveled than I would for a normal playthrough where you can just retry if something goes wrong, but rarely do I have my whole team at the level limit, I usually just get them to levels where I can reasonably expect them to stand a good chance. Using HGSS as an example, here are the level ranges I have been at/ intend to be at for each major battle
>Faulkner
~10
>Bugsy
13-15
>Whitney
16-18
>Morty
20-22
>Chuck
26-28
>Pryce (I usually fight jasmine last)
~30
>Jasmine
Probably whatever levels I'm already at after Pryce, like 30-32
>Clair
37-39
>E4
Definitely gonna grind them all to 42 before going in, don't wanna curb stop the earlier members but don't wanna be too weak for lance.
>Kanto gym leaders
Probably gonna get my team to 45-50 before taking on any gyms, then I'll play it by ear from there
>Red
I'm thinking 60-65, at this point putting together a solid counter strategy is way more important than levels anyway

So what's the best way to play this series in order, preferably on a big screen that isn't a PC?
I don't mind buying some cheap ass chinkoid emulator machine or a cellphone would also be fine too. All that matters is that I can play it at my leisure on a couch. I don't really care enough to get a 3ds or a switch so I'd be pretty happy for older gen games. Like, I heard you could run an emulator on a piss 3 or a piss 4 which I have so maybe that?

if you have a xbawks you can run retroarch up to the DS no problem. even works well with fast forward and rewind. no 3ds or switch emulators on it yet but it surely is just a matter of time. works well with romhacks and randomizer changed roms too

an og xbox you mean? Does it allow you to rotate the screen? Does it play at a good framerate for ds? I've been wanting a way to play ds games on my crt for a while this might be perf i have an xbox laying around and its one of my only consoles I haven't modded yet. Wii is a bit too shit for this and I haven't tried it on my 360 (but it's probably p jank given the rest of the emulators on there). Figured Id have to wait until they perfect that av out ds-lite mod mod or put out a consolizer kit in 5 years.

nah, xbox one or the series s or x. you can get an app for retroarch on them and it works like a charm.

I have lost so many mons in between brock and misty it's insane. might try to grind magikarp up to 20 before misty, or might just run in now so i don't hit the level cap
You definitely feel it at lower levels with losing mons. i feel your loss

Attached: heavy loss.png (1825x752, 544.78K)

rocketlocke going pretty well
gotta say i expected youngster joey's rattata to be a little bit better but early hyper fang is really powerful

Attached: i am so tired right now.png (1460x684, 336.68K)

Just started a run on Pokemon Red, will probably update after every gym

Attached: 01-01.png (1202x600, 101.71K)

Anyone else trying Redux? This fight just feels like an instant wipe if you don't get Magnemite or a fast Elekid to deal with the Golbat. Are there any consistent strats besides Ivysaur removing toxic spikes? There's just way too much coverage, damage output, and bulk on her team for this point in the game.

Attached: Screenshot (896).png (808x225, 34.73K)

I'm doing a dark monotype run (not a locke) and from what I've noticed if you lead with something frail like Carvanha, the Trubbish might actually go for Explosion on turn one if it sees the OHKO. It's not consistent though, and you would also need somebody that can tank the explosion, like Pawniard

Just finished Brock, didn't really have a strat for him so i had to switch a lot between my team members.

Attached: 01-03.png (1198x710, 218.96K)

The trubbish is honestly the easiest part of the fight. I can cheese it with pansear yawn and Ivysaur leech seed. It usually prioritizes setting up spikes so removing them with Ivysaur can buy me enough time to drop it to like 60% and kill it.
The biggest problems are Koffing and Golbat. Koffing has strong coverage and a shitload of bulk with eviolite. It's a threat to just about everything. And Golbat outspeeds 95% of your encounters and if it sets up a NP, it's sweep your whole team. Magnemite is probably the only consistent counter to it and if you don't get one, your odds drastically go down.

Hyper fang completely rekt misty, but unfortunately my Pidgey died while grinding to a stupid crit.

Attached: 01-04.png (1200x935, 284.01K)

we have more than 40 people here, this is more than enough to maintain a general. please someone make a new thread when this one is nearly dying

Both Umbreon and Slowking died within like 5 minutes of evolving them respectively lol. Kinda sucks desu was pretty excited to try them out. Not sure what to really sub in now before the Victory Road and E4. Don't wanna triple up on poison types with Crobat or Weezing and get fucked by a Psychic mon. Skarmory is a great pull but it doesn't really get very good moves. Probably is between Piloswine or Dewgong and potentially whatever I get for the next two encounters. But man this game REALLY cucks you out of any usable moves between bad / late learnsets and TMs not obtainable till Kanto.

Attached: Screenshot_20220511_155432.png (1306x1095, 272.89K)

PLA release happened then new generation leak season happened and is ongoing

>Page 9
No nuzlocke thread reaches page 10 on my watch

bump

Elite Four time. This is what I came up with. Wish me luck bois

forgot team image lol

Attached: Screenshot_20220512_004023.png (1315x1102, 299.2K)

Any romhacks that are fun to nuzlocke?

Well that went fucking terribly. Kanto is gonna eat my ass. Skarm honestly even with that shit moveset carried this entire gauntlet amazingly. No available toxic TM until later but just sandstorm and fly stalling did well enough for a huge chunk of the e4. Losing Machamp right before Karen really fucked me. And I had Karen down pretty clearly too despite that loss before realizing my Xatu was pursuit trapped by that damn Murkrow so I didn't even bother switching. But it actually just used faint attack for some reason and then I fucking lived with like 1 HP and again didn't switch because of pursuit trap and it used Quick Attack instead which I forgot about. Weird AI with pursuit I guess. At least I made it through but damn. That was a lot rougher than my first time around a gen 2 hardcore locke (Crystal). It actually felt pretty easy then I had a Mantine to soak up Will and most of Lance though. RIP to tha 4 homies.

Attached: Screenshot_20220512_014940.png (1307x858, 242.84K)

>Kanto is gonna eat my ass.
nah
only blue is a somewhat challenge

I’ve been SR for a shiny starter in HGSS. Anything goes, could be anyone. Wish me luck

>you can't reuse pokemon across gens
Usually you retire champs, but I know that some people retire the entire team you enter the final/battle series of battles with(so you don't just suicide most of your team on purpose in the final fight so you can reuse them in another run).
You can usually rely in your own "honor" to not pull that kind of trick, but using the rule that the entire squad retires even if some fall at end is a fair one

A fucking Raticate on Mt.Moon almost wiped me.
He took my little Zubat and my fucking Ivysaur.
I'm already having doubts about this...

Attached: 1580801001843.gif (560x420, 174.55K)

dont worry that one is a notorious troll of nuzlockes

Hey guys quick question, How do you usually deal with kanto level caps? And like what is the best order for fighting the gyms before leveling to maintain a sense of balanced progression? I leveled my bois up to 45 for the elite four (im so only two remaining) but it looks like thats way too high for a couple of them. Like why the fuck does Janine have lv. 39 mons. How do you guys normally handle this lol.

Attached: tumblr_1c82a2c3b0cde17984f1b6b68151ff07_cdaa17c1_2048.jpg (2048x1618, 235.31K)

Cool idea. I agree with being able to dodge trainers, it gives you some choice to the type of mon you could get (similar to choosing between grass or water/fishing encounters in normal nuzlockes).
I'd say it could be more interesting to be able to choose which pokemon to capture for the first trainer you battle, since as long as you're not checking the trainers on a guide, you never know what they're gonna bring next and if you're making a bad choice not capturing his first mon.

How are you handling Gyms? Personally I think I'd make the exception there to be able to steal a mon from the leader himself (more thematic).
Are you stealing from fellow rockets too?
What do you do about gift mons?

Fucking shit. That's bs.
I can't go on without my fucking starter.

I don’t really do level caps for the kanto portion, it just doesn’t work. Maybe 50 pre blue and then 58 for blue

Lost Beedrill because i wasn't paying attention, but besides that everything went without a single problem. Lt. Surge was easily dealt with by spamming dig.

Attached: 0104.png (1920x1080, 358.93K)

wrong pic

Attached: 01-05.png (1198x1084, 352.81K)

>How are you handling Gyms?
usually just the first trainer i run into in the gym
i don't really steal from the gym leaders since the "steal pokemon" script ends the battle early but if i can get to the gym leader before any other trainer (like falkner and jasmine) i steal from them. stealing from the gym leaders would be a cool thematic thing though, so i might consider that in a future run
>Are you stealing from fellow rockets too?
survival of the fittest :)
>What do you do about gift mons?
usually i let them in my runs since i technically don't "catch" it. if i ever decide to start doing more challenging runs than just set mode + level caps + no items, i might ban them or count them as an encounter

i'd say keep going, your starter isn't the be all end all of your runs. i'm even thinking of boxing my starter for the elite 4

Attached: rocketlocke notes.png (1104x1208, 1.35M)

Are you using ActionReplay codes for stealing and the Rocket costume, or is it a ROM patch?

replay codes
i don't know jack squat about ROM hacking and whatnot

>i'd say keep going, your starter isn't the be all end all of your runs. i'm even thinking of boxing my starter for the elite 4
I don't think I can...
I already got way too attached to it.

dang dude it was just mt moon thats super early

But dude...
It had just evolved into a cool Ivysaur.
It destroyed Brock's gym.
But it died to a fucking lucky rat. From a retarded guy from a retarded group.

I'm under the impression that "hardcore" nuzlockes that move you up to each level cap (particularly using rare candies) are in fact easier than normal nuzlockes due to the increased knowledge and generally higher levels

I understand your pain but if you quit now you’ll never be able to do a nuzlocke. You just need to accept that you lost it fair and square, if you aren’t prepared to let go of a teammate when they faint then why are you doing a nuzlocke to begin with?

A lot of normalfags will play nuzlockes with infinite heals, switch mode, and over leveling. That “hardcore” ruleset is more targeted towards them. Reading every trainers team and having infinite berry/money/rare candies isn’t part of that though and I don’t really understand how someone would justify it outside of extreme difficulty hacks where you’re constantly restarting

maybe I'm conflating some playstyles after all. I have always rocked set style quirk no items in battle so I forgot that was part of the "hardcore" package.

I've never done a nuzloke before and I'm gonna start with White 2 right now
Wish me luck

Attached: 1651938678397.jpg (365x279, 11.58K)

all i read for teams is level caps because well duh i need to know which caps not to overlevel. other than that, never heard about infinite rare candies before. i just grind normally.

Yeah I assume that’s how most people here play. You’d be surprised by some of the shit on youtube though. Rarely ever saw someone play on set mode until recently

that's the way to be. I try not to overlevel, it really frustrates me that the games are forcing the exp share lately. I would say I enjoy these games if not for that.
yeah, I had been trying to find nuzlocke content and was honestly really disappointed with the YouTube community, who seem to want things ti be as convenient as possible and lose the essence of the nuzlocke

I’ve given up looking for anything pokemon related on youtube. I’m surprised that a franchise this big doesn’t even have a single interesting/good channel

God this reminds me of how mad I was that TFS gaming ruined their whole platinum nuzlocke by grinding their prinplup to an empoleon before fantina then just curb stomping the game with it. Their nuzlockes have their moments but They have kinda a bad track record of grinding to TOO high of a level for certain challenges. It really does defeat the ENTIRE purpose of a nuzlocke

I have enjoyed the map randomizers just because they're different but it's gonna get old pretty soon
yeah, that sounds lame to play and to watch. just play pokemon normally if you want to crush the game, right?

Dunno if it's a good idea as your first nuzlocke, I think BW2 can be pretty hard even without the hard mode on. I may be wrong though.

or when their slowpoke died and they just ignored it - like one of the only two rules of nuzlockes, they werent even running hardcore ones. TFS are entertainers but as nuzlocke runners theyre absolute shit

Personally I consider a nuzlocke using Switch mode is not a true nuzlocke: being able to keep the counter advantage at all times completely eliminating the only moments of difficulty these games have goes against the purpose of doing a "challenge" run.

Personally, what really bothers me about the level cap rules these "hardcore" runners use is that they always grind their entire team to the gym leader's higher level pokemon, effectively making the gym much, much easier.
Meanwhile I never bothered about level caps and all I do is avoid killing wild mons so I don't build up extra experience, and I'm always like 5~ levels below key encounters like gyms and rivals. I think the only time I grind in most games is before the league because of the usual level jump that you meet at the end of the games.

hardcore is definitely the convenience version of a true nuzlocke, ironically

When I do nuzlockes I usually cap myself at the gym leaders lowest level. Also wouldn’t allow myself to use a pokemon if it overleveled in the gym battle but that rule doesn’t seem to common

go for it, but do note that sigilyphs are a royal pain in the ass and you need to watch out for those
i've lost too many good mons to those bastards

does anyone still write stories for their nuzlockes
I'm banned on the official forums but I know they still do a fair amount

that sounds like bullshit honestly. most non hardcore nuzlockes spam items like crazy, get to gyms with 10 level advantage, i really cant think how theyre "harder" at all

honestly I don't even consider those to be nuzlockes. same with playing on set or not counting gift pokemon as catches.

tell me how to make a gen 8 nuzlocke more interesting with that fucking exp share

Have this same problem with BDSP. Think im gonna lock myself into gyms and routes without heals. That’s what I did in XY and it was fairly challenging

I usually just shuffle around a large team, which isn't very satisfying honestly. I like these games, but the exp share makes me not want to replay them. One little change really ruins my interest.

So after having done regular nuzlockes on almost every mainline game and Hardcore nuzlockes on BDSP and ORAS (also BW and SM but I choked on the league) I'm kind of torn about the "no items rule" , as it gives the player no margin of error and forces them to adopt a tedious, "optimal" playstyle:

>Checking the movesets of every major trainer just in case
>Using Pokémon based on their stats and supposed performance rather than what you actually want to use
>min max levels and stats
>Autistically using the smogon calculator to avoid deaths or even plan entire battles

I.e. being a tryhard. And I think this playstyle kills the original "magic" of nuzlockes. For me, that was using pokemon that I've never used before on my team and watching them avoid death against all odds, and reach the hall of fame despite being shitmons like Mightiena.

But if there is no margin of error, why would you use the "lesser" pokémon? You're playing to win, but you're handicapping yourself even more for no reason. Basically, this playstyle tries to minimize improvisation in favor of extreme planification and consistency, which is franky kind of absurd to do in a game where critical hits exist.

So, that's why I prefer to use items in battle, to add a bit of margin of error. However, I also don't like to item spam, for self-explanatory reasons. I've found that limiting myself to 3-4 consumables in battle is the most fun for me, as it doesn't completely trivialize the game and makes healing moves still useful.

So, what is /nuzgen/'s opinion on this topic?

Attached: vlcsnap-2021-05-09-15h15m14s593.png (1280x720, 1.25M)

I personally just use a limited number of items rather than no items whatsoever. 4 healing/status items per battle seems fair to me.
I limit myself to 4 healing/status condition items per battle. Gives you wiggle room but stops you from just spamming heals to cheese fights.

What was the most memorable moment in any of your Nuzlockes?

During one of my Heartgold attempts, I was fight Morty with Nidorina, I thought it would be a great matchup. However, it was only until I was locked from switching out that I realized that I forgot to give Nidorina any effective/super effective moves. She had only normal/poison moves that did shit for damage. She was also cursed.

So during that match, I was spam healing every other turn to try and kill the ghost Pokémon but I ran out of healing items and had to watch her die from my stupid ass mistake. Beat Morty though immediately after.

do what did and limit yourself to only one pokemon form per gym
>used your nickit on milo? can't use nickit on nessa now, but you can use a thievul if you get one that early

i think an item cap per battle is good enough to prevent you from just heal stalling
i've been doing my rocketlocke with no items and it's kind of painful but i've already decided my rules so i might aswell stick through to the end

Attached: cottonborga.png (800x800, 170.96K)

Why would you ever need potions or any of that tryhard shit you listed?

in my first nuzlocke of soulsilver i caught a stantler and named her Majesty. she stomped everything to death and was the MVP for a while. but then she died and i was sad. so i decided to honor her by keeping her "coffin" in my party and only using 5 pokemon for the rest of the game. my final team was lanturn, ambipom, sandslash, arbok, parasect, and majesty's coffin. it was a good team.

My first death caused by me not paying attention.
Had a good run going, a few gyms into X, only 1 death and that was a flabebe, who cares
I was dueling against Lysandre, had a Mega Lucario out, what on earth could I be afraid of? Looked away for a few moments, basically playing on auto-pilot. Because surely I was going to one-shot it. And that's when I realized my Lucario was dead.
A close second was my first wipe, which was, coincidentally, my first nuzlocke. Ruby. It was THAT May fight. You know the one. Combusken destroyed my entire team.

if you're playing the official games it never comes to that. even usum, the bloodiest game, gives you do game catches that failure is unlikely.
then again, I've been playing with no items in battle since 2010

>Grotle/Staravia/Bibarel/Shellos/Bronzor/Meditite
>Wiped solely on Fantina's Mismagius during a HC plat run
I'm starting to think that I'm just shit at this game.

mismagius is actually just a brutal pokemon

The true worst part of doing multiple runs (failed or not) back to back is running out of steam in the name department. I don't want to give them shit names but I'm only so imaginative.

Keep in mind that Mismagius is the evolution of a mon that was previously already fully evolved.
It's really hard to deal with, especially for the 3rd gym and extra especially if you're a lower level than it.

Nuzlocking X and Bidoof is literally my only pokemon left

Try going with a naming theme sometimes. Rather than coming up with names, try to come up with names appropriate to a theme. It's surprisingly a lot easier than coming up with a good original name.
One of my runs had Household object-themed names and I got a surprising amount of mileage out of that.