Gen 3 was pokemon at its peak

Gen 3 was pokemon at its peak
>big step up in graphics from previous gen
>added double battles
>well designed map
>good story where there is the threat of a powerful legendary pokemon causing destruction to the region
>berry farming
>various events for getting legendaries in game isntead of just having them traded
>one of the last gens to have good pokemon designs
>added abilities and natures
>secret bases
>two full 3d console pokemon games that also let you send over your team from the gameboy games like stadium
>pokemon box so you can manage your pokemon between all of the gba pokemon titles and also play ruby and sapphire on the tv

Attached: file.png (1600x800, 1.69M)

couldnt agree more

>good story where there is the threat of a powerful legendary pokemon causing destruction to the region
Love Gen 3 but this isn't a good thing, for all the other good things Gen 3 did and you mentioned, probably the worst thing it did was start the ruination of Legendary Pokemon by making too many of them and making them too important to the plot and the world

Preach, brother

Indeed. Gen 4 did all of those better though. It's been downhill ever since

>probably the worst thing it did was start the ruination of Legendary Pokemon by making too many of them and making them too important to the plot and the world
I like it in gen 3 and 4 though the trope just sucks now because every single game since has had the same premise

Gen 1 had the best Pokemon designs

>Gen 4 did all of those better though.
This but the opposite

gen4 is also really good but i think its worse off just because its wii connectivity wasn't as good. pokemon ranch is retarded and locks your pokemon to a trainer id so you cant share them between games, they also only provided an update for platinum in japan whereas pokemon box works with all gen3 games. There were also no full pokemon titles for the wii and I think thats a big part of gen3 being the best

We know, OP said Gen 3 was one of the last gens to have good designs, not that Gen 3 has THE best designs.

gen 4 had dogshit console games
PBR is a disgrace for being the 'successor' to col/xd
At least the NDS had cool side-story games like Ranger though

I agree that Gen 3 was peak but for different reasons. My parents couldn't afford getting me a GBA so my only contact with Gen 3 was buying a few trading cards every once in a while and watching the anime on TV. This was shortly before Gen 4 came along. I could play Pokemon Yellow on an old GBC but that was it. Despite pokemania having died down it was still really big thing among my peers so I was the only one who was into Pokemon but didn't get to play any gen 3 game. So gen 3 was for a long time a very idealised version of Pokemon for me, partially because of all the locked events that I would simply never be able to get now. Gen 3 still feels fresh even if it really isn't now that I played ORAS, it's more the idea of gen 3 that counts as it reminds me of my childhood days when the world was still better and I didn't have to care about anything but watching the next pokemon episode on TV...
Bros... I want to go back...

This is also the reason why gen 5 was the end of Pokemon to me. I got a DS and played the gen 4 games on it and I became a real poke autist who would browse bulbapedia every day and probably read the majority of the pages on there but I never got to follow the news of those games being released, they already existed before I knew about them. Gen 5 was when I for the first time ever learned about the games coming out prior to their release and I even heard of the Zoroark leaks and the starters being leaked along with Victini which I even got as an event Poke for the first time in my life.
Gen 3 was the beginning of the end of something that never really existed in the first place.

>still uses HM
>berry farming
>natures
Trash

>Pokemon game
>Good story
Pick one

>big step up in graphics from previous gen
lol

hms were good every game since removing them has had terrible map design, they should have kept them in the game but maybe added extra move slots for hms to pokemon that couldn't be used in battle or something instead of removing them completely

>gen 4 did none of those worse

Well no, the point is that everything done by Gen 3 and Gen 4 that you can draw parallels and make comparisons with, Gen 4 did worse.

yeah except no

Various romhacks have it so that if your Pokemon could use the HM in the overworld, they can use it whenever they want without actually knowing the move provided you have the appropriate gym badge.
Either that or Gen 7's HM methods were optimal. Having to sacrifice moveslots, or even an entire Pokemon slot, just to get around properly is not good game design. Your fucking Rivals in the old games were seen using Fly despite their Flying-types not knowing the move.

>>one of the last gens to have good pokemon designs

Attached: man happy.png (382x500, 362.94K)

>Various romhacks have it so that if your Pokemon could use the HM in the overworld, they can use it whenever they want without actually knowing the move provided you have the appropriate gym badge.
this is a good option i dont like the complete removal though. and i dont think gen 7s method was optimal because its like push a button and this random pokemon appears out of nowhere for you to use them kek. they also added things like seats or costumes to the mon like the lapras chair or those bike arms on mudsdale which just looks ridiculous. theres also things removed like strength puzzles for moving boulders which are a nice mechanic.

Every gen has good and bad designs.

But the concentration of good designs gets lower and lower the newer a generation is.