Has replaying the games changed your opinions on them?

I replayed each generation of mainline Pokemon to see if they were as good as I remember. Here are my thoughts, i'd like to hear what others think; even if you only recently replayed one game.

>Blue (Kanto):
BEFORE: It doesn't hold up well today; play either set of remakes for a better time.
AFTER: There is a charm to it nostalgia and limitations, but still feel the same about it.

>Silver (Johto):
BEFORE:I remember liking GSC, I wonder if it still holds up?
AFTER: Yeah, it does. I'm honestly surprised how much I enjoyed this revisit. I'd probably recommend HGSS or even Crystal before this, but still a pretty solid entry.

>Ruby (Hoenn)
BEFORE: I remember this being one of the good ones.
AFTER: This is one of the good ones...until you get to Lilycove...Also, it took me replaying this game to realize it's kind of a downgrade compared to gen 2.

>Diamond (Sinnoh):
BEFORE: The last of the greats.
AFTER: HOLY SHIT THESE ARE AWFUL! They might actually be the worst: everything is slow, they made a worse version of defog, type variety sucks. Man...

>White (Unova):
BEFORE: I hated gen 5. I remember pre-ordering it, getting 2 gyms in and putting it down
AFTER: They're alright actually.

>White 2:
BEFORE: Didn't play this before because gen 5 left a bad taste in my mouth.
AFTER: These are my 2nd favourite games in the series.

>Y (Kalos):
BEFORE: Beat them them in 48 hours of release, never though about them again.
AFTER: Can see why; i'm so bored I can't get past the 2nd gym due to boredom.

Moon/UltraMoon(Alola):
BEFORE: I love Alola!
AFTER: Gen 7 bros...I really tried, I even switched to ultra version in hopes that it was better...I'm so bored. And that hurts to admit.

>Shield (Galar):
BEFORE: These are the worst games!
AFTER: I'm...kinda having fun? It still isn't great even with DLC; 5/10 at best.

Attached: AllMainlinePokemon.jpg (1200x3924, 1.68M)

Probably should have made the first post less wordy and just asked people what they thought.

>B/W released a year after HG/SS
That honestly feels so weird...

That and Crystal came out the same year as red/blue.

Other 3rd versions don't do that.

For some context, I only played Emerald and Heart Gold as a kid initially. I played almost everything up to ORAS during SM’s prerelease and played again last year.
RBY: Not as bad as people make them out to be but FRLG are infinitely better
GSC: Never played
RSE: Like but not as much as I used to. Genuinely don’t see what makes Emerald the best in the series for some even after doing some of the Battle Frontier last year. Water routes suck ass.
FRLG: Fun but the limitations with the Gen 2/3 Pokémon was dumb and made me lose interest in the post game.
DPPt: Diamond & Pearl are definitely flawed games but not nearly as flawed as people make them out to be. Platinum is still the peak of the franchise.
HGSS: Great games but they’re not flawless. Nothing against Johto but never been able to feel fully immersed in it even as a kid.
BW: Fine. Story is overrated as fuck and the constant stops for another conversation about truths vs ideals gets annoying. Still enjoyed everything else for the most part.
B2W2: Haven’t played.
XY: Fine. Story is whatever but the side content like Berry farming, customization, and Super Training/Amie are underrated. The best part of the game is the region.
ORAS: Like the additions/changes to Hoenn but probably my least favorite 3D game. Still loathe the water section.
SM: Genuinely enjoyed but not as much as I did the first time. Alola’s my favorite region from a thematic standpoint. Constant interruptions were annoying but I feel as though they’re overblown by the fanbase. Kanto pandering always got an eye roll out of me.
USUM: Some of the most fun I’ve had with a Pokémon game. Only thing I’d say I hate is the downgraded story. Best 3D game for me besides maybe Legends Arceus
LGPE: Still hate it and dropped it after beating Surge.
SwSh: Disappointing. Easiest games yet. Region has a unique feel which I did enjoy. Exploration is non existent. Characters are cool. DLC doesn’t change much. Got burnt out frequently

Attached: 20783509-5A4D-4CD9-A15A-D1C595F21590.jpg (1920x1080, 402.77K)

>Moon/UltraMoon(Alola):
>BEFORE: I love Alola!
>AFTER: Gen 7 bros...I really tried, I even switched to ultra version in hopes that it was better...I'm so bored. And that hurts to admit.
Many such cases. I highly recommend any Alolasite that defends this games or calls them the peak to replay them.

I have a hard time replaying any old game. All of the games feel roughly the same to me gameplay-wise, so going back to the old ones just feels like "less QOL but more or less same game" which isn't very enjoyable. It's different from replaying a Mario or Zelda game.

>Emerald is overrated
So close yet
>Platinum is in any way the best
So far...

Cool story

>Has replaying the games changed your opinions on them?
Yes. Made me realize the entire series is mediocre and gen 4 and 5 are even worse and more boring than I remember.

>Has replaying the games changed your opinions on them?
gen 1,2,3,and 7 are the best
gen 4 is shit
gen 5 is ok, gen 6 is better but still just ok
Colosseum and XD are boring dogshit

Attached: 1vg.png (1138x1466, 1.49M)

Schizo shitposts don't matter

So your post doesn't matter then. Good to know.

>RBY/GSC
I love replaying these today because I'm more aware of the sequence breaking, side objectives, and small ways to explore the games outside of the main story. Defeating Team Rocket with only 2 Badges is something I never would've considered when playing Red as a child. And Johto has stuff like the Ruins of Alph, Union Cave and Mt. Mortar which I never bothered with previously.

>RSE
Always liked and still do.

>DPP
Platinum I still think is fine, but I like it less than Emerald nowadays...Hoenn's environments keep the game vibrant, unlike Sinnoh's rugged mountains and caves and marshlands. Sinnoh Secret Bases are outright terrible since you can't remove the rocks without multiplayer. Battle Frontier has less complex rulesets. Contests are longer and I swear to god the CPU cheats sometimes.

>BW1/BW2
Loved BW1 when I played first time, but it's not as fun to replay forme because nothing about it is new or surprising anymore. This is also when sequence breaking completely disappeared from the series, so I feel like I'm just going through the motions to see the end. BW2, almost the opposite. I wasn't impressed in 2012 since I already played a-lot of BW1. But I like it more now after sitting down with it and exploring everything.

>XY
XY I loved at release, and still do. Regional Dex + Exp. All makes it fun to experiment with different party members, Pokemon I never trained in other games. Also feels like there is a-lot of "down-time" between most cities where you can sort of unwind. There's a-lot of ways to unwind too, be it Pokemon Amie, Super Training, Berry farming sim, or going back to Lumiose City for side stuff. Multiplayer is less active than 2013, but I do manage to get some good trades occasionally.

>SM/USUM
SM is like BW1, where I liked it on my first playthrough and struggle to enjoy it on repeat. I've wamred up to USUM recently for its updated boss fights and sidequests. If this had come out in 2016, I'd probably have a better opinion of Gen 7.

Attached: 1612829439532.jpg (1309x1685, 2M)

My opinion of XY has gone way down since launch and the GC games and og SM have gone way up

>Red (Virtual Console)
Jesus christ this game is borderline broken. Pokemon selection sucks shit. 4 of the best mons require trading. Want a farfetchd , jynx, or mr mime without a nickname? Fuck you. Definitely a product of a special time in video games. Nostalgia got me up to Koga, the reat of the way was purely me being stubborn and hating it
>Crystal (Virtual Console)
Playing now, originally played Silver but whatever. Has anyone mentioned that trade evolutions and version exclusives are cancer and whoever came up with the concept deserves death? Because they are and they do. Level curve sucks, learnsets suck (the crystal lugia and ho-oh can’t learn aeroblast or sacred fire), lack of johto pokemon pre kanto sucks. But god damn the game is charming as shit and unlike Red, I am having fun throughout. Would have more fun with an ampharos, gengar, scizor, and houndoom but whatever.
>Sword
Jesus christ how embarrassing. Two steps forward, one step back, 3 steps into left field. In some ways pokemon has come a long way. In most ways it’s still doing the same infuriating bullshit its done forever. Replying this right after playing Red made me mad how little shit has been fixed in this franchise. Sure it’s more fun than Red but fun is a low bar for a series this old

>RBY
BEFORE: hell yeah I'm just gonna use this Butterfree I caught 5 minutes into the game and level it to 83 because I'm retarded.
AFTER: Easiest games to replay alongside GSC and FR/LG. Love em for nuzlockes and the nostalgia/chiptune.

>GSC
BEFORE: Chikorita cute.
AFTER: Easily my favorite games in the series, why the fuck would anyone pick Chikorita.

>RSE
BEFORE: Sapphire was actually my first game, 100% bias here.
AFTER: Really just in it for the nostalgia and nuzlockes. Some good OST tracks. If I see one more Tentacool I'm going to kill myself.

>FR/LG
BEFORE: Fun.
AFTER: Very solid, arguably the definitive way to experience Kanto if you aren't a genwunner.

>DPPt
BEFORE: Fun.
AFTER: Not as fun without emulation. Still better than Gen 6 onwards.

>HG/SS
BEFORE: Good!
AFTER: Still good! I prefer to replay the originals though.

>BW/B2W2
BEFORE: These pokemon are so ugly, the tweening looks stupid, why do they keep trying to emphasize these awful 3D environment models
AFTER: Underrated gen, decent competitive scene.

>XY
BEFORE: These are horrible.
AFTER: These are horrible, never replaying.

>ORAS
BEFORE: Wow they really did Gen 3 dirty.
AFTER: Never finishing.

>SM/USUM:
BEFORE: The fuck are these cutscenes.
AFTER: The fuck are these cutscenes I can't replay this.

>SwSh
BEFORE: Rushed af.
AFTER: Never replaying when I could replay other games in the series.

No, Gen 4 was the worst back then and playing later Platinum on emulator just confirmed it will always be the worst.

Attached: imagen_2022-03-26_032038.png (640x353, 164.65K)

I've only replayed gen 1, 2, 3, 4, and the gen 2 remakes, still enjoy them all. stopped buying the games after that

I definitely like B2 much more than during my original run, I'm trying to complete all the badge challenges and the PWT now when I just kinda dropped the game after beating the league and getting a Ralts the first time.

replaying shit past gen 1 has made me hate being able to capture legendaries. wish there was a favor system or some shit than being able to mind control gods

>giving yourself (you)s