Who thought that this was okay

Who thought that this was okay
Why wasn't this fixed in Emerald

Attached: spag.png (252x236, 14.77K)

Old GF was pretty retarded with movesets. They didn't get their shit together until around gen 4.

I think the idea was to be anti-weather trio. Thunder for Kyogre, Solarbeam for Groudon, and Dragon Claw for Rayquaza so it could 'counter its weaknesses'. Too bad all three of those moves were special in this game and it wasn't using its STAB moves. The moves definitely went to the wrong mon so to say.

At least it had earthquake?
Its only legal stab moves were iron miss and fucking rock tomb. double edge would inflict recoil because its bility defaulting to sturdy.

Sturdy didn't act as Focus Sash pre-Gen V so it was too niche of an ability back then. And yeah, its STAB options weren't the best, but Rock Tomb is still okay compared to what's given there.

Disregard me regarding Sturdy. I misread your comment.

Probably just for coverage against its weaknesses.

What is the logic behind it being able to learn Solar Beam?

Seems like they give it to the most random options. Arcanine, Tauros, Zangoose and Lickilicky get it too.

I think that's a callback to kaiju mons and learning energy beams and elemental moves. Look back at Nidoking/Nidoqueen/Rhydon in Gen I and that's probably why. Aggron's just an extension to that type of mon.

that doesn't explain a number of the others who get it
but "beam" moves have very strange learnsets in general. just look up who gets Ice Beam, it's damn near everyone you'd expect (except for things like, say, Espeon)

>OP sleeping on that Solarbeam Aggron

I wish GF make an held object or a feature that boosts highly special attacks for pokemon which has more attack than special attack and vice versa.

It would be cool to caught people off guard and permit for some pokemon to have a more diverse moveset in battles.

FUCKING ZOOMERS SEE

Thunder for Kyogre
Solarbeam for Groudon
Dragon Claw for Reyquaza
Suppose to """"""""""punish""""""""""""" underleveled Box Legends.
too bad all three buttfuck Aggron effortlessly.

But why not a Rock move for Rayquaza?

I could only think of Aggron's case but I don't really know how to answer for the rest then. However they added Solarbeam to a bunch of Fire Pokemon starting Gen IV when the emphasis was on competitive mon with Wifi being available. Of course that allowed most Fire mons to have ways to deal with Water types, including Charizard, who continued getting better ways of abusing it with Solar Power ability in Gen V and Mega Charizard Y in Gen VI. Personally I feel it was better if it was limited to some Fire mons that could have distinguished itself like Ninetales or Moltres. It became the 'Ice Beam' of Fire mons at some point, except for Heatmor I think. Gen V was weird with the move distribution anyways as Water mons like Seismitoad and Keldeo were denied Ice Beam, which was near ubiquitous on nearly all Water mons prior to them.

Will this meme ever end

Attached: fug.jpg (404x241, 13.48K)

>. It became the 'Ice Beam' of Fire mons at some point
The difference is Solar Beam is an incredibly situational move since it's outright suicidal to use outside of Sun, and outside of checking water types (which Sun itself already does anyways by nullifying Water's strengths against Fire) it doesn't really have any utility otherwise because Grass is offensively weak. There really isn't any balance issue caused by its wide distribution among Fire types.

Ice Beam on the other hand has no drawbacks or restrictions like Solar Beam, comes from one of the best offensive types, and allows the many Water types that get it to check one of their only two weaknesses (Grass) as well as two of their three resists (Grass and Dragon), the only other resist being Water itself. The fact that nearly every Water type gets it is a big contributor to why Water is so imbalanced as one of the best types in the game.

I was only speaking in terms of 'the secondary coverage type ' provided to a specific primary type, like Psychic moves on most Ghost mons, not necessarily comparing their usefulness, but you do have a point.

This was based as fuck and being able to check out his mon's stats in the switch menu when he teams up with you will always be kino

>Thunder for Kyogre
>Solarbeam for Groudon
>Dragon Claw for Reyquaza
all of which are guaranteed to be faster and have a quick KO move on aggron.

Yes that is what user was implying