Was there a more disappointing arc of the anime?

>released alongside the best games of the entire franchise
>absolutely full of filler
>game Red becomes strongest Champion
>Anime Ash doesn't even make the league semifinals to hype up furshit Blaziken

So many people dropped the entire series after this arc and the release of Gen III.

Attached: 29063158_sa.jpg;maxHeight=640;maxWidth=550.jpg (473x640, 80.81K)

But user, that doesn't look like Unova to me.

That's a contender as well. The Snivy battle was trash.

I'd rather watch filler that focuses on the pokemon than Ash plot-armor his wins with his first stage pokemon and pikachu.

It had the best movies (the 3rd and 5th mainly, though the Celebi one wasn't terrible) and some really great filler episodes, even though I too don't like how the GS ball was just scrapped. I don't give a shit about "muh Pokemania."

Attached: James.jpg (937x702, 90.11K)

>>released alongside the best games of the entire franchise
It released alongside HGSS? Neat.

the movies were good desu

1st movie > heroes > Entei > Second movie > 4ever

all kino

What parts of the anime, if any, are worth watching?

Entei will always be the best

of all almost 1200 episodes...
probably less than 40

Not even 10

If you want comfy slice of life with Pokemon, Sun/Moon. If you want something that kinda follows the games and improves on aspects of it while having a sense of progression, XYZ or DP. If you want some combination of both, Journeys. But in the end, it's all a kid's anime so you have to go into it with the mindset that it won't be a masterpiece with deep thematic explorations of it's world or characters, and more like a Saturday morning cartoon to watch just to relax.

I never gave a shit about weather Ash won or lost a league or even if he was a competent battler that earned his badges legitimately or not, I never understood why some people fixate on this so much. I don't even really care about the show being faithful to the games mechanically or the storyline.

But I do agree that Johto was really bad and not really worth watching. The amount of filler was obscene. It was the first time they really stretched a region out into multiple seasons so they could stall until the next generation of video game was ready. Really what they shold do in these cases is another orange island style arc where Ash is working toward another goal instead of just putzing around with more characters of the day.

Also Johto is where "running gags" really got way too out of hand for me. Those were some of my least favorite aspects of the pokemon anime. They were introduced in later half of the OS but were usually pretty subtle until the point where Jigglypuff was introduced. But Johto started out with them, and kept introducing new ones. Misty's ear pinching, Totodiles biting Jessie's hair, Snubbull biting Meowth's tail, Wobbuffet in general, Heracross raping Bulbasaur, i'm sure i'm missing several.

I would still rather watch the filler shit than any of the pokemon contest arcs in later seasons, but I'd still put Johto as an overall package below the seasons that have them.

Years ago i tried to watch every episode but stopped at the battle frontier cause it was too much. I really dont remember much of it, more on how they made me feel.

The original series is the best, hands down, and its vibe is unmatched. Even the filler episodes are usually good.Could easily recommend to anyone because it simply is good. You can prob watch all of it if you'd want to do a pokemon binge.
At some point the show just stops being entertaining - idk who got fired or left but the creativity just shot way down after the original. There's a funny filler Johto episode with a witch, where magic is real - watch this one. Otherwise, skip the rest of the filler and just watch the gym stuff (or skip). Maybe watch the end with gary. Hoenn is pretty much the same, but, slightly more interesting. Battle frontier was kinda interesting, but the new voices irked me.

I saw all of XY. Animation is great, plots are little more interesting. This I might recommend if you could bare the other stuff. Havent seen anything else cuz idc anymore

Unova
Sm
Journeys
All worse

The first 8 movies are the best, this is how I'd rank them personally

>Spell of the Unown
>The First Movie: Mewtwo Strikes Back
>Pokemon 2000: The Power of One
>Pokemon Heroes
>Jirachi: Wish Maker
>Pokemon 4Ever
>Destiny Deoxys
>Lucario and the Mystery of Mew

there's also the Mewtwo Returns special which is pretty great

Seasons 1-5(Indigo League-Master Quest) are the best

Seasons 6-13(Advanced-Sinnoh League Victors) are decent but get progressively worse over time

Seasons 14-16(Black & White-Adventures in Unova and Beyond) are garbage

Seasons 17-19(XY, Kalos Quest, and XYZ+specials) are almost as good as 1-5, and feature some of the best animation the series has to offer

haven't seen Seasons 20-24

Attached: Pokemon 3 the Movie Spell of the Unown (2000) (1080p BDRip x265 10bit AC3 5.1 - r0b0t) [TAoE].mkv_snapshot_00.51.36.431.png (1920x1024, 3.28M)

>Was there a more disappointing arc of the anime
All of the XY anime

Alola was way worse, but Unova is definitely up there

Original series, Orange Islands, SM and Journeys.

Watch all of the league arcs from every gen though, they're all kino

Season 1 and a few of the movies. Maybe find a few eps that showcase your favorites and watch those.