General careers thread

Computer Science: sailed ship? Doesn't seem to be so. Thoughts on coding bootcamps?

This is finance related janny.

Attached: 348d3f4a520447a43b969323f2bd826fe9-gandolfini-pool-cover.rsquare.w768.jpg (390x390, 23.71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appacademy.io/course/app-academy-open?
teachyourselfcs.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

90% of bootcamps are dogshit and just want to take your money, leaving you with bad or no skills.
10% are actually good and will get you set up with the skills needed to move into an entry level role.

It's basically impossible to tell which is which without any experience.

What country you from?

Attached: PULP FICTION-10.jpg (624x338, 18.67K)

OP here on a diff proxy, I'm from Leafland. Willing to GTFO and study in europe though, a friend is recommending Slovenia.

i shoot brown people in the levant for money

Get into the hvac biz, EU is literally turning into Africa kek, I haven't seen temperatures like this ever

appacademy.io/course/app-academy-open?

This got me a job and a raise and promotion at my current company in 6 months. I had other experience that helped get me the promotion, but my fundamentals were solid cause of this course. God bless these bros, I only paid 250 bucks or so to become a web dev.

I'm assuming you're considering a career in software development.
If so, what prompted the interest?

nah definitely not a sailed ship, not as easy and secure as 5 years ago but it's still very lucrative compared to most other career paths.
over my time working as an engineer for big companies I've also been noticing a trend of cutting back oversea contractors in favor of full-time hires, as the tech debt from contractors has been piling up huge and corps seem to be seeing them as costly long term, this is what was previously preventing new grads from landing a job so if that trend holds up (recession may or may not fuck that up) could be a very good thing for domestic devs

teach yourself sql in less than a day and get into data warehousing, it’s way easier than real dev. junior data housing salary in this area (tristate) is about 90k to start and the bar to entry is unbelievably low especially if you agree to an apprenticeship

I've seen this posted on Any Forums
teachyourselfcs.com/

Computer science is unnecessary. Learn to code. Two very different things.

Attached: lizard4.png (784x843, 1.19M)

>over my time working as an engineer for big companies I've also been noticing a trend of cutting back oversea contractors in favor of full-time hires, as the tech debt from contractors has been piling up huge and corps seem to be seeing them as costly long term

I've not been in the game long enough to have seen the whole process but the guys I know who have are saying the exact same thing.

Coding bootcamp is only for people who already have degrees or masters and from an educated background, who can easily transition careers with an outstanding resume.

If you are some monkey working at retail or McDonald’s saving up for a boot camp and failed high school level calculus, odds are you will never get a job, never.

programming is absolutely not a sailed ship
salaries could half and it would still be a decent career
the demand for it will only increase too

I'm just going to jump in here and say that STEM is a meme. What people should really be talking about is the holy trinity of office jobs - ELA. Engineering, Law and Accounting.
I'm an engineer and have just the right amount of hatred for it to keep me going without committing suicide. Accounting is an easy second best.

engineering is fucking shit

facts
t. comfy at a $70K entry level web dev job

Yep, but so is everything. At least I don't have to code all day with KPIs constantly tracking me like a factory worker.

OP here again on a diff one.
Been into CS and imageboards since I was 12, but I eased off of personal things because of CS courses in my HS. I'm a very pessimistic and calculating person so I've avoided a career in it thus far because I feared a rugpull in CS demand and for my degree to become worthless, but I'm older now and see those fears as silly.

Well, what do you want?

If you just want money i'd say ditch the degree and learn a JavaScript stack.
Build and deploy some projects, get good at entry level coding challenges by practicing online.

If you're at least average intelligence and grind every day you could be in a jr dev role within 6-12 months even if you know nothing right now.

And then you keep learning on the job.

Is that what you want?