Becoming a programmer

im 25 and wasted the last years of my life. tired of being a low skilled wagie and want to move up in earnings. i cant afford to go to uni so i gotta learn programming by myself. does anyone here have recommendations for what programming language i should learn? i know some c# but obviously that wont be enough. i know a lot of you guys are programmers and the wfh and nice salary makes it sounds comfy af.

Attached: 3478748934793478394.png (712x892, 1.07M)

I think you are way better off learning Java instead of C#. Java is very similar, but is open source (OpenJDK) and easily runs on every platform. You need to teach yourself programming by building your own sample program and hosting in on Github. Then employers can download it and check it out.

Fuck being a codemonkey. Learn python/ruby, Bash/PowerShell, and how to use git. Automate the builds for the pajeets and make 150k+ a year for a couple hours of work a week.

Just learn javascript

I’m in a similar position except I’m a little younger. Every resource I’ve seen recommends starting with python and then moving to HTML, CSS, etc. I’m learning python and it’s not too difficult.

thanks. how long do you think i will have to learn before i can build a decent program to show on github? when i, say, learn 2 hours a day? i want to apply for a duales studium next year (im in germany, duales studium basically means a company pays you to work for them and learn the ropes and also simaltanteously go to university for 3 years)

I've been teaching myself Python the last few months, and I'm just making my way out of the fog of early learning curve to the peak of mount stupid.

That's a man

How are you going about learning it? For me grasping the concepts aren’t too difficult but the next day I’ll forget 90% of what I learned.

that often happens if you are not actively coding in an IDE while you are learning
like if you're learning about loops or arrays go code some

javascript

Java is everywhere for sure, but I work with very seasoned devs and the ecosystem is a huge mess and its an unpredictable language to work with.

Maybe your experience is different, but I'd say once the learning phase is done its best to move to something nicer to work with

i'm a software engineer and i do 10 hours a week for $100k. fully remote. wife blows me under my desk during meetings and i get to work out during the day too. such a comfy gig

low-code or no-code is the way to go user

C# (.NET Core) is also open source since 2017 and easily runs on every platform too

2 hours a day to start might be okay at the start, but you really should focus full-time on it. And it's going to take time to get up to professional level.

I did the python 3, and visualizing financial data courses on codecademy and took notes for each concept. This gave me a basic understanding of syntax, pandas, matplotlib, etc. I just reference my notes when I forget things. Now I'm working on projects independently and learning new things as I run into problems

i live in germany and basically want to apply for next year. there are programs that companies offer for students with abitur (i guess the equivalent is a high school diploma?), where you switch between working for the company and studying at university, and you get paid for it. you dont need to be a pro to get hired there, only have some skills to show that you are interested in programing. i dont need to become a total professional by myself, just good enough for training

Go for golang. Easy, higher avg salary and growing fast job market.

i do 6 hours self learning everyday for 2 months and im pretty good. 2 hours is not enough. fucking commit

My friends literal schitzophrenic brother learnt webdev at a shitty polytech diploma for 1 year, and now 3 years in the industry at 32 he's moved to aus and in less than 6 months is on 150k.

This is all real. Anyone can do it. My friends brother has been fired/let go from 3 jobs due to not taking his meds, and falls upwards into a higher paying job every single time.

Go to Any Forums lurk and learn.

If that's the case, then I guess only a portion of the day is fine. You'll quickly find out if you have the aptitude for it and whether it's something you even want to do long-term. There have been many who wanted to do what you want to do to get that nice six-figure salary who burn out hard and end up going back to their previous employment. I'm rooting for you, OP.

I agree. When i started it took me about one summer of 4-8h daily to get basics of c++.

i need to work 8 hours a day though, 6 hours is not really doable desu. im a poorfag man, maybe i can do 4 daily, 8 on the weekends.
im a schizo too btw, lmao.

Where is the money in being a codemonkey? Alternatively, what area has the best pay/effort ratio? There are so many languages and areas that it's a bit hard to choose.

It would be preferable to do it continously at least 2 weeks for 4+ hours to see if you have enough patience and can sustain it.

its a lot harder to program than you think. Try for an office cuck job if possible

thats a man

i already programmed a lot a couple of years ago when i deluded myself that i could develop an entire video game by myself. the scope was way too big, would take a team of 5 maybe 2 years, and i needed to learn programming, 3d modelling, animations and unity3d from scratch while working full time. programming wasnt that hard desu, i just burned out because it was too much to learn and too big of a project so i lost motivation. but i am sure that i can learn to programm when i focus solely on that

>i need to work 8 hours a day though, 6 hours is not really doable desu. im a poorfag man, maybe i can do 4 daily, 8 on the weekends.
ok at least you have an excuse. can you afford to reduce your hours? can you take a sabbatical?

2 hours a day will take you 6 months to get on my level and I am not even employable yet (don't have a degree). can you afford 4 hours a day?

you need to hit 600-800 hours total to be a good junior dev. so you need to find out how your going to hit that number. track your hours so you're not going in blind. do the math to figure out how much you need to do per day in your given time frame.

You have to do so many hours because you have to be better than a college grad for a company to hire you. Otherwise they will just go for the college grad. Most college grads arent even that good at programming but companies take a risk and give them time to learn the important stuff on the job. They will not give you that luxury being out of the industry. You just got to be better and actually be worth your salary.

best of luck then bro, reddit and this place shills programming like its the only way to make money, when it just wastes a lot of peoples time who just dont have the time/aptitude to get to a professional level in a reasonable time frame.

My idiot friends make 70k wfh as project managers, while the others make stupid money in sales or various bs office jobs