What does Pokeball stand for? Is it "Pocket Ball"? Is it "Pokemon Ball"?

What does Pokeball stand for? Is it "Pocket Ball"? Is it "Pokemon Ball"?

Attached: Poké_Ball_PO.png (1280x720, 809.7K)

pocket monster ball

It's called a "monster ball," but localizers dropped the figurative ball over 20 years ago. I'm guessing it may have been because "Monster Ball" would have been too many letters in English to fit on one line of the Gameboy item menu.

Its just the localization, in Japanese it's literally Monster Ball.

Attached: 1168715.jpg (319x450, 36.68K)

Poke my balls

They also never used Pocket Monsters on any of the localized stuff so monster ball wouldn't have made sense.

Capsule Monsters?

Pocket monsters deez nuts

This.

Retard.

I dont see anything conflicting

>They also never used Pocket Monsters on any of the localized stuff
Yeah it never made sense to me why they did that. "Pokémon" just sounds like a nonsense word unless you already know that it's short for "pocket monsters."

Well, we're talking about an invented word, though so "Monster Ball" isn't a proper translation. Certainly they mean one thing in both languages, but what is the etymology of the English word?
Pokeball

The characters used here are used for foreign words, like Pan (bread in French). In this case, the characters say "Mo N Su Ta Bo-o Ru," they are literally using the English words "Monster" and "Ball." It's not about a translation error, its exactly what they want to say.

But since in English, the concept of "Pocket Monsters" doesn't exist, and "Pokemon" does, it's just a spin on the term for the different species. Like PokeCar, or PokeSnack or PokeSchool. You're overthinking this way too much.

Attached: Hatterene.jpg (1091x1200, 187.17K)

pokeball is a mind controlling prison that turns monsters into slaves

If I had to guess, they were probably worried Pocket Monsters sounds too generic and might infringe on the Monster in My Pocket toys.

Attached: 1jdj2r1y6py61.jpg (1024x941, 155.81K)

Pocket pokeball

Pocket Pocket Monster Ball

monster capsule

holy fpbp

Pretty much, copyright's a bitch and it's the same reason Dragon Quest had to be localized to Dragon Warrior at first all the way up until DQ8.