What's the verdict on new battle changes in future games?

One of my favorite things in PLA has to be the way battles were reworked. With the biggest things being:

>Forced Set Mode
>Setup Move duration nerfs
>Speed rework
>Agile/Strong

I feel like we most likely wont get the agile/strong styles in future games, though they might be necessary for the speed reworks. But in general i think nerfing glass cannons and speed in general could be awesome for the slow frail mixed attackers and actually give them some viability since they can attack first when coming in after a fainted ally. I also enjoy the way setup moves cant be super abused because they only last for a few turns and can't be stacked. What do we think?

Attached: file.png (788x546, 514.94K)

>>Forced Set Mode
Why can't you just turn set mode on? Why does it have to be forced?

The old battle system is better. This style system made speed even more broken than before

Switch mode is unfair for the AI (lol)
just kidding, but it just makes the game more challenging to no-items overall
there's no reason for it to have been removed

I might’ve liked it but considering you and your opponent can attack before a switch can happen makes it feel like there’d just be a whole lot of revenge killing if you fought a halfway decent team

God Ursaluna looks horrifyingly hideous in game, I hope its official art isn't this bad

I love it, absolutely an improved system. And now that they've confirmed that the old system isn't coming back, I can't wait for them to improve on the new one - I bet in the sequel they'll refine it further along with every other PLA mechanic and we'll get the best Pokemon game to date.

I think the damage calculation needs some work. As-is, every battle after the first couple hours was "one shot or get one shot", which just doesn't feel as satisfying. I like that level isn't EVERYTHING, but it went a bit too far.

Strong/Agile will never make it to a PvP game, because it's imbalanced as fuck. Works fine for a PvE game though.

>And now that they've confirmed that the old system isn't coming back
[X]

Agile/Strong moves fuck with traditional combat way too much to make it into mainline games. There are too many moves, items and abilities that care about priority and you'd have to rework all of them. I assume it'll stick around for future Legends games, and they'll basically just develop a parallel form of combat

Set is the only way to play pokemon games.

This is a reboot of the franchise and I'm happy about it
Need to stop clinging in to tradition

Fuck items, fuck abilities, fuck 90% of the moves being worthless, fuck breeding

Nah, those things are fine on their own, they've just been stuck in shit games for ten years. I'll gladly give them up if I that's what it takes to get a decent game, but I'd be happy to see them used well.

My only problem with PLA's battle system is the whole "switching mons get a free attack" thing. They should have done one of the following
>run the speed calc every time
>run the speed calc only if the switch is caused by a fainting mon
>carry over the altered move order from previous turns
Some of the mandatory battles made it borderline impossible to keep a whole team alive until the end because the AI knows to make advantageous switches after which they get a free attack.

I hope the turn taking doesn't stay because sending in Pokemon to automatically die after you already lost something is fucking cancer. Being able to pull off 2 or 3 moves in a row without stopping would be broken as fuck in actual pvp

>Speed even more broken than before
One job, gamefreak, one fucking job.

Abilities are good, but they should be more unique. Not every pokemon needs an ability, especially pretty mid/bad ones. Shedinja should have its ability, caterpie doesn't fucking need one.

No, it’s ridiculously broken and dumbed down.

Abilities are based and breeding is fine

Not sure why human pvp is removed but I can see this implemented easily