Dynamax Postmortem and Discussion Thread

Now that the dust has settled and SWSH is in the rear view mirror, where do we stand on Dynamaxing as a gimmick? Dynamax was often defended by shills but since it is confirmed to never be returning, can it be truly considered the worst gimmick in franchise history? Why was Dynamaxing so divisive in a way other gimmicks were not?

Aside from mechanical discussion, where do we now stand on the "lore" of Dynamaxing? Gamefreak made a point of stating that Dynamaxxed Pokemon do not change size, but are simply "projections," but with PLA we have Alpha Pokemon who DO change size from external energy (and that's also discounting the lore issues raised by #shrinkgate.) Why did Gamefreak choose to make this distinction with Dynamax, then go on to introduce true size changing anyway?

Attached: fDyinYW5SQSDM2QLGr7JyE-1200-80.jpg (1094x615, 102.29K)

Bring back moves

I dont even understand what dynamax was trying to do. Megas gave you a team ace, an evolution to your pokemon and new typing/playstyles. Z-Moves gave you a big nuke, or a big buff, a way to shut down protect/detect spam AND free up some hold item space.
Dynamax was just... nothing. And same shit like megas, if you like the designs well get fucked because they've never making an evolution for 'em.

Pros: Giantess fanart
Cons: basically useless because of turn limit, makes gyms even easier since leaders are always going to dmax or gmax their ace, max moves are almost always worse than normal moves (Laughing at Leon's charizard that doesn't get sunlight for solarbeam)

Attached: 75156451_p0.jpg (2894x4093, 614.96K)

That is the most autistically charged opening post I've seen in a while, so I seriously doubt you're looking for a real discussion but out of charity sake I'll answer your second point.

They did the "Dynamax projection distinction" thing in it's lore because Dynamax is just a Ultraman reference and in Ultraman he also uses energy to project their growth. Gigamax Machamp even has it's idle pose and design inspired by the original Ultraman Suit.

good riddance
these fat fucks can barely waddle in the stadiums, look like they could kill the crowd with any attack. It looks even dumber in double battles when the partner pokemon just become tiny specs. I hate the concept and aesthetics of this that I never want to see it again just because of that.

Lorewise I like them, especially Gigantamax forms. It was nice to see them also try to make a gimmick nearly every Pokemon could use, similar to Z-moves. Visually they are also incredible.

Mechanically however? Dynamax is the worst and most broken mechanic we've ever had. It has to fucking go. I don't know why they didn't just stick with megas and add more. They were well received by most people.

>Showing that you don't actualy play the game this hard

I did play swsh though, I've posted tons of screenshots from my Cinderace-only "speed run" that took 17 hours to beat all gyms and champion.

forget mechanics or gimmicks this is honestly just one of the worst things pokemon has ever done. "yeah bro my caterpie just turns into a 100 foot caterpie and fights another 100 foot caterpie but it's like not real y'know its all projections"
no thought behind it, no foreshadowing, no reasoning, nothing. purely marketing.

I hope to fuck that after gen 9 this shit never gets brought up again or even fucking mentioned.

Attached: 1627725361072.jpg (1078x606, 71.05K)

Then you should know how fucking stupid "Leon doesn't even set up sun for Solarbeam" is, and that is not getting into all the G-Max moves that outclassed the normal Max movies in the meta hardcore like Lapras, Pikachu's, Butterfree.

I think it's clear that the goal was to have a gimmick but not an expensive to implement one. This is just scaling up the models and adding a cloud.

Why are you so mad?

But that doesn't make any sense. Dynamax shouldn't be any more or less expensive than Z-Moves and Megas were since the number of unique 3D models is the same as the ones Megas required and the amount of special effects was similar to Z-Moves as well.

D-Max could be applied to every Pokemon and sold as a new form.

>It just gets bigger
>dumbs down most attacks

This is the most creatively bankrupt thing I have seen pokemon do

Shills have said Dynamax was mechanically superior to Megas since the release of Sword and Shield. What happened?

Megas were explicitly very difficult to add to the games, that's why they got cut.

i love gigapika and gigasaur but they will never fucking come back and that makes me irrationally upset, maybe they can retcon gigas into megas or alpha forms or something

But they didn't do that. TPC has only produced merchandise of the Gigamax forms which are actualy brand new assets, not of "normal Pokemon but big and we call it a new form".

>Dynamax was often defended by shills
>Why was Dynamaxing so divisive
To me it felt like dynamax was always more negatively received than other gimmicks. It's not that influential in single player apart from raids, and competitively it's an unbalanced mess. The only time I think it was more divisive was during the early VGC meta when it was more fun and balanced with the limited dex, but the DLC completely fucked it up.

Aesthetically it's by far the worst of the three, the red glow looks horrid on a lot of mons and those clouds swirling overhead look like turds.
Mechanically it's hands down the healthiest, at least in Doubles, which is the format I play the most. It's a bit centralizing about a few Pokemon that can both abuse and counter it well, but it does so to a far, far smaller extent than Megas literally forcing the format to revolve around a select few each season.
For example, 2014 and beyond, you barely saw any megas bar Rayquaza, Kangaskhan, and Salamence making it to top bracket, with the occasional Mawile seeding somewhere below thrown in. In the Player's Cups that were held last year alone we saw Dynamax options in a range from Charizard, Venusaur, Coalossal, G-Moltres, Regigigas (paired with Weezing), Regieleki, Urshifu, etc. all making top cuts.
Regarding Z-Moves, I feel like I don't have much of an opinion on them. Outside of a few cool interactions with status moves they were a one and done deal, and outside of being slightly annoyed by getting your supposed check hammered by a massively boosted coverage move, I don't think I ever found them too interesting or offensive. Their biggest limiting factor is being a one-shot deal that could be heavily neutered by protect cutting it damage down to 1/4th, which is everywhere in doubles, so you were basically playing mindgames the entire set with open teamsheet tournies, jockeying for position in a way that makes it anything more than a wasted item slot. That sounds pretty interesting on paper, and I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it, but I guess it wasn't for me
All in all, given Dynamax is almost certainly not coming back next gen, if they don't do a heavy rebalance of Megas and find a way to give Z-Moves something to set them apart, I don't want them back either. Let's go gimmickless for the time being so GF can learn how to balance worth a damn

Attached: 1628148782542.png (444x277, 157.03K)

>New item
>Giga Stone
>Works exactly like Mega Stone
>Restat G-Max forms to turn them functionally into Megas

Could it work?

honeymoon period. I felt it was refreshing to not think about megas and the doubles format was ok at first.

>in the meta
My post is strictly from a main gameplay standpoint, I'm not autistic enough for competitive play.

I dynamaxed 2 or 3 times while playing the game but eventually stopped. It's gay and adds nothing to the game for someone like me who doesn't care about competitive.

>Dynamax BAD
Never change r/vp

Attached: dynamax BAD.jpg (600x800, 68.07K)

>Let's go gimmickless for the time being so GF can learn how to balance worth a damn
They need something for merch, prepare your anus for some unblanced bullshit in gen 9