How was Mew obtained back in R/B/G? I know it wasn't obtainable through in-game means...

How was Mew obtained back in R/B/G? I know it wasn't obtainable through in-game means, and Mystery Gift wasn't a thing back then. Did people have to hack it?

Attached: 1.jpg (1280x720, 67.96K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AVhqlol6k9o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Once in a while they'd have an event at ToysRus or something where you could go in and get it traded into your game.

You had to attend events I believe.

You either used a game genie peripheral, got it in a trade at an event, or sent in your cart to get it if you won a sweepstakes

Use strength on the truck near the SS Anne

You can also use in-game glitches to get one.

>he doesn't know about the new glitch
It's the way most people managed to get new besides events

Game shark was the most common way to get one back in the day.

They would hold big events at toysrus/KB toys/malls for official ones.

I got mine by going to a kiosk (pic related) at a shopping center, it was neat. I had one of those 15 in 1 games with Pokemon on it and the people running the event let my brother have two Mews and trade me one.

You had to go behind the truck

Basically anyone who had a Mew got it by using gameshark. Events/contests where you could get a legit one were rare and the mew glitch wasn't discovered yet

Attached: I Believe.jpg (640x640, 89.34K)

Mew Glitch wasn't widely known until after most people stopped playing gen 1.

Forgot pic

Attached: qyczX.png (573x271, 357.76K)

Toys R Us would have giveaways when they were sent a special cartridge that had Mews hacked into it.

Jesus Christ what a unit. I wonder if I could find one of these behemoths on eBay.

mew glitch is super easy

If the Super Famicom controllers aren't a giveaway, they were only used in Japan. So they're VERY rare nowadays.

Those units were used in Europe too

You had to go to the local game store. Pretty sure you had to bring your own link cable too. Which is why everyone suddenly became my friend that week, because apparently I was the only kid that had one. I spent nearly all of launch just cloning Mews.

Attached: 1347220746248.jpg (500x510, 179.31K)

Ah, the good ol' days of battling your friends precariously tethered across two feet of flimsy cord.

I remember getting my first Mew during the DVD release of the Lucario Movie. There was this event at Toys R Us where some guy simply traded you a Mew. They also had free Pikachu paper hats and a raffle for the Movie which came with a special Mew Trading Card. These Live events were kinda neat compared to the "go to GameStop for this serial code"

Nice. That sounds like a comfy memory

youtube.com/watch?v=AVhqlol6k9o

Legaly, events but rarely anyone had access to those. Most people used Game Genies for that. Years later after the Mew Glitch was found most people did that.

I went to the Training Tour '99 where I handed my Blue cartridge to a person who put it in a slot on a machine that put a Mew on it. I recall they told everyone to make sure there's a free spot in their party, which is where it put the Mew. They also gave a paper certificate with each Mew.
The event also had someone showing off the upcoming Yellow on a big screen using a Super Gameboy. I remember someone asked if you could make Pikachu so mad it zaps you, and he said we'd have to wait for Hey You Pikachu for that. I think they were also demoing Stadium.

I wish they had came by where I grew up but I never got word. and I gre up in the SF Bay Area so I would imagine there would be one stop somewhere there. But I got my Mew by the old link cable glitch where you traded with somebody and the person who got the undesired pokemon would just turn off his game after the trade and they kept their traded Mew.

The one they had at Training Tour '99 in the US looked very similar. I didn't get a look at the front of the machine though, so idk if it was the same Super Gameboy with modified cartridge setup, but they stuck the cartridge into a slot on the front of it very much like that.

Basically they would have distribution carts full of Mews that they would just manually trade to you.

Attached: 681BA2C3-016D-47BC-9805-FC6AB7FB21FD.jpg (1600x2142, 1.18M)