*Kills Pokémania*

*Kills Pokémania*

I'm sorry but after hitting such an homerun with gen 1 designs, the most charismatic monster roster of all time, how did they manage to completely drop the ball right after?

It's not like they had to rush leftovers or anything, none of the cut pokémon from gen 1 made the final version of gen 2(except maybe tyranitar being an heavily reworked Gyaoon) and we can see on gen 2's beta versions how they were very actively developing the new pokémon.

So how the fuck did they mess up this badly?

Attached: gen2art.png (1045x1125, 1.21M)

I mean, come on! This is not okay

Attached: gen1-2.png (2100x1185, 3.22M)

It's a combination of wanting to use Kanto's leftovers leading to some evos and others and wanting to sell toys making all of the babies and other cute round smiley face mons

>49532417
>calling Gen 1 the most charismatic
>tadpole that’s too stupid to turn into a frog
>bump
>three bumps but angry
>pokeball
>pokeball upside down with a frameworks face
>bird with stick
>smiling blob
>poison blob
>poison blob but bigger
>seal misspelled
> a bull…with THREE TAILS
>Jim crow and Jessica rabbit’s rape baby
>Also shitting in Gen 2 when there are Gen 1 mons like zubat that literally everyone hated until Gen 2 evolutions like Crobat came along and saved them

Shut the fuck up. Gen 1 isn’t that great and Gen 2 isn’t a “downgrade”.

Also nothing killed pokemonia except time, no fad lasts forever or did you serious fucking expect store to sell nothing but Pokémon merch Until the end of time. Believe it or not there such a thing as over-saturating the market.

Go back

right is better
niggertrannies

Gen 2 designs were an improvement from Gen 1. There's nothing as ugly as Muk or as strange as Digglet. Gen 3 is when they started declining, Gen 4 they got even worse (especially the prior gen evos), and by Gen 5 it hit the trough. Gen 6 and 7 Pokemon designs are slightly better overall than Gen 5, probably because the Dexes are smaller so they could dedicate more time, though the highs in Gen 6 and 7 are not as high as the ones in Gen 5. Gen 8 designs (including PLA) are the worst yet.

Hoenn killed Pokemania. Trumpet toddler.

You were obviously not alive during Pokemania, but it definitely didn't kill Pokemania. It really quieted down during Gen 3 but completely died off during Gen 4.

Nah. Gen 3 is solely to blame.

Gen 4 stabilized the franchises free falling interest afte gen 3 pulled the original dexit

This. Everyone was totally in when Gen 2 was hot shit. Then it slowed down a bit, but everyone had high expectations for the GBA games. Then the wet fart came out that was Ruby and Sapphire
and killed pokemania for good. Some kids still watched the anime but most didn't want to play the GBA games.

You were too young for pokemania. Everyone had G/S following R/B/Y, it was hard finding people who played R/S/E.

Gold and Silver was successful though. It's Gen 3 that was the flop

Plain starters, bulk are disjointed single stage lines, only 3 three stage lines besides the starters, beggining off the crossgen evo cancer, babymons, having to design Pokémon for retarded new types

Pokemania was dead even before Crystal's release, hence the poor sales of Crystal compared to Yellow and the third movie having far fewer viewers despite being better than the first two. Not because of Johto games, but because the fad had run its course and died down except among its dedicated fans.
Masuda said this was one of the reasons why RS were the most stressful games for him to develop:
"At the time, the atmosphere and general thinking was that the Pokémon fad was over and there was huge pressure to prove people wrong. The next time I visited it was all Star Wars. Everyone was saying it was on a downtrend, the fad’s over and I really felt that pressure to make something amazing.

I got really stressed out and had to go to the hospital and had some stomach issues and had to get a camera inserted and they didn’t know what it was – very stressful. The night before release I had a dream that it was a complete failure, a total nightmare.
We at Game Freak took that as a challenge and said, ‘It’s not dead. We’re going to show you guys you’re wrong!’ The morning after, the day of release, I went into the local shop and saw people lining up to buy it and was extremely relieved. It was close. Super scary at the time."

Crystal was a third version of a game everyone owned. Ruby and Sapphire were the flops that almost killed the series

Everyone was into gold and silver because they were the sloppy seconds

>"Everyone was saying it was on a downtrend, the fad’s over and I really felt that pressure to make something amazing."
>went on to make RS instead

>*Kills Pokémania*
Pokemania was waning before Gen 2 came out, Gen 2 breathed new life into it and gave it a nice boost before it started waning again and dying out completely before Gen 3

>So how the fuck did they mess up this badly?
Too many gimmickmons, single-stage mons, and just plain bland designs, and tepid usage of the two new types

Yellow was also a third version and didn't suffer from the same problem, so your argument doesn't hold. Pokemania died out even before Crystal was released in the US.

The roster was designed as an extension of gen1, and not as a mostly new set of monsters with plenty of old pokemon excluded to national dex.

Around here I thought Pokémania was still going strong when GS released, but started to vain with the anime becoming shit and the merchandise not holding up.

Ok, so Emerald, Platinum, B2W2 and USUM are bad games too?

>Crystal was a third version of a game everyone owned.
Same could be said for Yellow tho
The real problem with Crystal was that it didn't support the older Game Boys (only Color) which had a massive install base, the new system (GBA) was already out and the GBA Pokemon games were already announced. It was literally just a v1.01 for the few who missed the G/S train and got a GBC or a GBA around the time.