Were baby pokemon a mistake?

Were baby pokemon a mistake?

Attached: Baby_Pokemon.png (1200x675, 1.19M)

Completely. Pichu cucked Gorochu and nobody asked for fucking Mantine (no offense), Roselia, Chimecho to have a preevolution and whole new Pokemon wasted on them.

Pretty much, pointless at best and outright annoying if a Pokemon gets one before an evolution. Fail to see how Toxel's a baby in the way you're implying though but I've never played SwSh so...

no they're cute :3

Some are super cute though. Wynaut, pichu , riolu, and munchlax all make me smile

As far as I can tell the only thing that babies have in common is the fact that they can't breed. When they were introduced the gimmick was that you had to breed to get them, but now you can catch them in the wild so they're basically the same as any unevolved pokemon.
Also don't really get why pokemon that represent juvenile forms like caterpie can breed if these can't

Some make sense, some are filler and some are downright retarded because who needs a baby for a pokemon they can catch below level 20 in the game they debuted.

Azurill is my favorite Pokémon so no

I want babies to not count as evolution stages so Pokemon kiek Azumarill still could evolve

GF should retcon all incenses into one Incense item. No pokemon would produce a baby when bred normally, but only when equipped with the Incense

This. They're not outright horrible but they were clearly only created to build on the breeding mechanic of gen 2, but don't have a purpose in modern Pokemon.

I think they could be good if Game Freak used them a bit better; like I really like the Electabuzz line but they're typically introduced late in the game but Elekid could be used as an early game Electric type akin to Shinx or Pikachu

Some of them are quite pointless though other than Dex filler; i.e. Wobbuffet was already a gimmick-mon, didn't need a baby, Chimecho, Roselia, Jigglypuff etc already quite weak and didn't need a weaker form

Not sure what the point of making Togepi, Riolu and Toxel as babies rather than just basic mons since they were introduced in the same gen as their evos

Finally, Tyrogue I really like the concept of and I think It'd be neat to see more mons with a split evolution based on stats

>yeah, putting joltik on the pic.

In be a sense of the card game, yes. From few unpackings that I have seen, it's baby-baby-baby and then a few set category cards

no

they are the natural evolution of what the pokemon games actually are: a vehicle to shill merchandise

everyone bitching and moaning about graphics and gameplay and the competitive scene are basically not even a blip on the radar in terms of who pokemon's target audience is. the games exist to sell product. to that end baby pokemon are clearly aimed to sell toys, so they do exactly what they're supposed to do: be cute and easy to manufacture.

>don't have a purpose in modern Pokemon.
probably why they make so few of them nowadays

Only in execution.

Baby pokemon should be like the 'baby' characters in Fire Emblem.

Weak as shit when you get them, but if you put the effort in it really pays off.

Mechanically there's no reason why they exist.

They should be mechanically interesting (see above) or be the only means by which their evolutions can be obtained (which is hard to retcon given Pikachu exists).

>Whole idea was scrapped and they spent like 4 gens without seeing a new entry
Guess it wasn't a good product then.

>Mechanically there's no reason why they exist
When wynaut was introduced it was the only way to get a different moveset for wobbuffet, so there's a mechanical reward for breeding and raising one.
Dunno if that's still the case or if applies to the other babies but i had assumed so

Not him but I decided to look up Snorlax on Bulbapedia this time.
Looks like Self-destruct isn't a move to be Munchlax'd anymore.

They literally have no reason to exist now if this is the case for the rest of them.

no, but there are way too many than is necessary. togepi and maybe or or two others in GS would've sufficed, everything else is filler

I want more baby Pokémon especially for single stage mon. Miltank and Tarous are connected so why not really have them connected with a baby Evo? Laprass could use a baby as well

Like the idea of a Calf Pokemon, hate the idea of making it a Baby.

It'd be nice to tether Bouffalant, Miltank, and Tauros together with one Tyrogue-ian calf, and all of them share the egg moves. I say it's not a baby because Ponyta is a colt and it still fucks like it's parents.