What killed Pokemania?

What killed Pokemania?

Attached: MV5BMTkyNDQxOTg5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODA2MDE3._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg (1000x1447, 174.63K)

how lackluster ruby and sapphire games were

Old age.

Growing up.

>franchise still sells like 15 million copies every release and has went on for over 25 years
Did it though

PLA

>goes from +20 million to barely 10 in the span of a couple of years for mainline
>movies go from social phenomenon to stop playing in theaters altogether
You tell me.

For the original period of time? They assumed the games died when OG Gold and Silver happened. I don't think anyone cared Crystal existed, and by the time Ruby and Sapphire released, many older fans collectively went "fuck this" and left, since they wouldn't have access to their old GB buddies.

For the rebirth? When Pokemon Go was released, and it climaxed with millions of players...only for it to dwindle. X and Y kicked Pokemon hype back up drastically, and everyone had a 3ds. Eventually, there was too much pokehype, and like before, it died down drastically.

Time. The majority grew up and lost touch with the series. When they checked back, new generations were out that they couldn't relate to. That's how nostalgiafags are made.

Time

Gen 3

Sinnoh.

Guess not since 10 million is still more than most games make in their entire franchise's life.

And yet it's not pokemania.
RS literally missing half the dex didn't help either.

This

Genwunner here, it was the JOHTO anime, followed by Zelda Four Swords
GSC was hype as shit but I distinctly remember people losing interest in the TCG by Revelations since nobody actually played, they just collected and there was only interest in 1st edition base set 1. Base Set 2 also came out and devalued those cards, so that broke collector interest.
The Johto anime being bad, along with the rise of Toonami and cable access, meant people stopped watching the Pokemon anime and moved on to more mature stuff.
The nail in the coffin was Four Swords. Zelda Oracle series were the last on the GBC, which got people looking at Zelda handheld and Four Swords was released before RS.
Four Swords was a better multiplayer than RS with less barrier to entry. It was also on the new and powerful GBA. People played that instead of GSC, and didn't switch to RS due to the "Digimon" designs and interest in Four Swords. Nobody at my school played Pokemon past GSC.

it was always gonna be a fad. ya might as well ask what killed beatlemania.

Pretty accurate, except for the Zelda stuff that I never heard of, no one had 4 swords here or knew it existed.
Some part of me thinks it would have been better if pokemon just faded away naturally.

Dubs of truisms. Leafgreen was my favorite and still is

Kids grew up and moved on. It had nothing to do with Gen 3 or anything like that. Only enfranchised fans give a shit about whatever criticisms you have, the thing that made it as big as it was was that a massive number of normies were in on it, and normies move on, as they do from all fads. It would have ended literally no matter what.

I liked emerald but ruby and sapphire I felt weren't the best

Nothing at all. It died organically. All fads come to an end, and Pokemania lasted way longer than most other fads that I can think of. The fact that the franchise remained a household name and continues doing gangbusters is a testament to its staying power, not a reason to think that GF did something wrong from a business perspective (even if I dislike their eventual change in design philosophy).

If you *really* want to pin it on a "culprit", you'd basically just be talking about the next big fad to sweep through the playgrounds. In this case, it was Yugioh, but there's really nothing particular about it that made it the "killer of Pokemania".

Doesn't anyone else like pokemmo? I finished the 8 gyms in Kanto and I'm having a blast honestly. I like selling high iv mons for low prices so everyone can have fun

It was just a time thing. R/B/Y came out when I was 7. It was the biggest thing going. G/S/C came out when I was 9 and even more people were playing it since everyone got a gameboy colour, every single person knew about the franchise at this point and g/s/c had even more to do. But then ruby/sapphire didn't come out till 2003. I was 11 by then and a lot of other players were now teenagers. Tastes changed and a lot of kids were now into other things. Pokemon was essentially seen as a baby franchise at this point. Heck, I was into pokemon in a massive way as a kid but I didn't even know they were making a third generation of games until I saw a big poster for sapphire. Thought it looked like shit and kyogre looked like a digimon. Yugioh was also massive at the time and competing for interests too. Honestly in the late 90s you were spoilt for choice as a kid for things to play and watch.
It also killed the appeal for some that you couldn't bring your pokefriends from G/S/C over to R/S/E.

As for pokemania's second wave, just time again I guess. X/Y and GO were massive but that's about it.

Attached: 1642590106482.png (1200x900, 836.9K)

The awful anime

Nine eleven