Company asked me to build a website

>logistics analyst
>COO and Director of IT know I code
>asked me to build “project management” site for them/build their main site

Im excited. I have been learning python and using it for reporting and data analysis. I recently finished django course on codecademy too. They finally asked me to code something up for them. Sort of like a monday.com for them but in house. A couple of questions for you guys:

- what is the best stack to do this in? I am familiar w django so Id like to stick to that and maybe just bootstrap the frontend
-what do I do about compensation? Currently making 65k
-how can I show this in my portfolio if its an internal site?

Give me any advice you can fellas. Also, your prayers because im pretty green in terms of webdev.

Attached: 1F778FCE-CFBE-4BF4-8C04-346EADED578E.jpg (225x225, 6.61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/odoo/odoo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

you probably have a better response at /g as all the programming nerds are there...

I'll give it to you straight.
This is doomed to fail unless you hire an experienced dev to guide you along.

Here's what you should really and truly do.
Have a meeting with them and say that you need guidance on how to do this and recommend them hire a full stack dev with django/react experience for a goal budget of 120k (although in this economy you're probably going to have to up it to 160k minimum).

Although it really is going to be slim pickings. If I was offered this job because fuck the "director of IT".
Spoiler alert: He's the bad guy in the story.

Attached: 1473044019281.jpg (1200x1200, 255.99K)

not to pour cold water on you but why will your company asl you to build something like that when you seem like you are relatively new at this?
wont it be cheaper and faster to just get a professional to build it? Its more than just a website.

This
A project management site can be anything from a list of tasks to full blown monday, you need to define that but i guess the scope will explode anyway, definitly NOT a beginners project

Why not just use monday?

posted in the other python thread;
Ruby on rails is dated, but very easy to prototype a web app (which sounds like what you're trying to do since you mention django).
if you wanted to proof of concept for a website, get an amazon lightsail vm for $3.50/mo, go download some random website template online, login to the vm, install apache http server, and then copy over the website template. should take you no more then a couple hours and now you have a website you can hit outside the intranet.

You're fucked and whoever assigned this to you is retarded.

If you can really build monday.com on your own you should get paid 500k a year.

>why will your company asl you to build something like that when you seem like you are relatively new at this?
That's why I said the Director of IT is the bad guy.
A real Director of IT would understand the need for a Senior, Mid, and Entry Level dev team.
He thinks he found someone to do code work for him and will basically be his bitch at work.

This isn't the fault of OP. This is a fault of the Director of IT who likely has no idea what the fuck the T even means.

Attached: 1652666709670.gif (659x758, 1.18M)

I think its because they dont wanna pay a guy 6 figs and they like going in house for everything they can

dude. He makes $65k lol.
He could work on the website for a year, never deliver, still won't get fired, he's simply too cheap to fire.
He'll also probably pickup some pretty useful skills and can job hop a year later.
so who cares.
if the project doesn't produce anything of value, it's the director of IT's ass on the line.

you're getting shafted bro.
you should ask for a raise.

but as for practical advice, the best thing you can do is stick with what you know. You won't be pushing any kind of large scale most likely so python/django is fine.
and even more practical advice is just get them to buy some off the shelf software. there are dozens of project mangement tools out there.

lmaooooooo
buy two scoops of django
it will seriously help you out

also best stack doesn't matter but django will do just fine. if you are working with data just make sure you end up using pandas.

you can also pay me and ill build it for you but it wont be cheap

>He could work on the website for a year, never deliver, still won't get fired, he's simply too cheap to fire.
This isn't the 1980s anymore. They are looking for a fall guy and imo it seems like it's OP.

monday.com not really expensive
else nextcloud with the right plugins is free.

one more piece of advice.
get hard requirements on paper. force them to commit to a very clearly defined goal. refuse to do it if they won't agree to this.
if you don't do this, they will whine and nitpick on everything imaginable until you get fed up and quit.

i believe you are right user.
OP is getting the blame and losing his job 6 months from now.

github.com/odoo/odoo

>two scoops of django
can't recommend it enough, it's easily findable for free, I purchased it after reading it.

>>logistics analyst

analyze the logistics of the project and realize it makes no sense for you to do it lmao

Im actually pretty good at pandas so thats cool. Appreciate all the advice so far boys

if they were looking for a fall guy, they would've outsourced/hired a consultancy to work it instead.
The Director of IT is just a boomer and has no understanding of tech development and is in for a rude awakening.
but if he's that out of touch, he's not gonna care what comes out, again, OP only makes $65k, which is dog shit.
OP wouldn't get fired even if his morning ritual is taking a shit on the director's desk.

I've never seen a dynamic python website that wasn't a giant pile of shit and needed to be rewritten in Go or C# so it can actually be maintained

arent spotify and youtube made with django?