Im a CS major should i be learning Linux?

Im a CS major should i be learning Linux?

Attached: 12437347347.jpg (1024x768, 146.87K)

No, if you know how to use google you're good to go

posting in thread before it gets deleted

Nah, learn windows and Visual C++

sure, if it interests you.

I just want to be more employable anons. Im graduating into a shitty economy.

If you have to ask, the answer is no. Stay in your windows playpen

Focus on building a portfolio, expanding your network, and landing internships.

t. dev

get some easymode remote system admin job and play videogames for 8 hours a day like I do, it could be much worse

This. Sysadmin position is very attainable.

Ty anons, i made enough in crypto this year to be able to finish my degree without working a retail job. What can i do to network/ build a portfolio? I get good grades and stuff but im an older student (26) do i join clubs or something?

I can't help you with that. I got my first IT job offer in a liquor store. No shit.

Get an entry level AWS or Windows cert. The tests are stupid easy and they aren't expensive.

to build your network, try joining student clubs and/or going to dev meetups around your city. For portfolio, literally just come up with projects that sound fun to work on and do them. If you cant think of anything, just google projects that are good for portfolios. Teach yourself the rest. Self teaching is a great thing to be able to talk about during interviews. Employers eat that shit up.

Thanks anons, I'll join clubs when im back on campus next year. There isn't much for dev meetups in my city, so i'll probably have to stick with clubs and maybe try to get on some research teams with my university and build my portfolio in my spare time maybe i'll add my university projects to it as well. Appreciate all your time

Attached: 125347347437.jpg (1291x1352, 123.53K)

I've mainly been spending my time working through textbooks so it's good to have some added advice.

No but any self respecting CS major will at least be curious about Linux?

How can you not know it already, wtf did you spend your time on?

We had brief intro to Linux but everything else was just using IDE on Windows or Mac. Every student i've met has a Mac laptop and i go to a pretty decent school. I guess it helps for uniformity when assigning projects.

Idk 99% of Super computers run Linux. The whole internet runs on Linux, basically every embedded household device runs Linux. Ios and Android are basically linux. Should you learn Linux? Nah keep sucking bill gates microshaft you will be employable no problem.

learning how to operate os is just a trivial matter, sooner or later you'll going to use it depends on your purpose for example bash scripting or automating stuff.

Once you get deep enough into CS, you'll realize what a fucking disaster Linux is and go full reddit-denial/cope or switch to *BSD.

Attached: LIBERATORS.jpg (906x1330, 409.41K)

> in CS
> Doesn't know Linux

Go get your money back user, you were scammed.

Am only halfway through second year im a double degree so i haven't gone that deep yet