Was this man the most alpha investor of all time?

Timothy Dexter.

>At the end of the American Revolutionary War, he purchased large amounts of depreciated Continental currency that was worthless at the time. At the war's end, the U.S. government made good on its notes at one percent of face value, while Massachusetts paid its own notes at par. His arbitrage enabled him to amass a considerable profit. He built two ships and began an export business to the West Indies and Europe.
>Because he was largely uneducated, his business sense was considered peculiar. He was advised to send bed warmers—used to heat beds in the cold New England winters—for resale in the West Indies, a tropical area. This advice was a deliberate ploy by rivals to bankrupt him. His ship's captain sold them as ladles to the local molasses industry and made a handsome profit. Next, Dexter sent wool mittens to the same place, where Asian merchants bought them for export to Siberia.
>People jokingly told him to "ship coal to Newcastle". Fortuitously, he did so during a Newcastle miners' strike, and his cargo was sold at a premium. On another occasion, practical jokers told him he could make money by shipping gloves to the South Sea Islands. His ships arrived there in time to sell the gloves to Portuguese boats on their way to China.
>He exported Bibles to the East Indies and stray cats to Caribbean islands and again made a profit; Eastern missionaries were in need of the Bibles and the Caribbean welcomed a solution to rat infestation.He also hoarded whalebones by mistake, but ended up selling them profitably as corset stays.
>While subject to ridicule, Dexter's boasting makes it clear that he understood the value of cornering the market on goods that others did not see as valuable and the utility of "acting the fool".
>At age 50, Dexter authored the book A Pickle for the Knowing Ones, in which he complained about politicians, the clergy, and his wife. The book contains 8,847 words and 33,864 letters, but without any punctuation and poor spelling

Attached: 220px-Timothy_Dexter.jpg (220x305, 21.15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ChSUvdU_Sbk
en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Pickle_for_the_Knowing_Ones
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sounds pretty fucking based, a testament that the world has always been clownish.

1700's biz peepeepooo shitcoin investor

youtu.be/ChSUvdU_Sbk

>Dexter authored the book A Pickle for the Knowing Ones, in which he complained about politicians, the clergy, and his wife. The book contains 8,847 words and 33,864 letters, but without any punctuation and poor spelling
absolutely based

Based.

Its pretty much true for every notable rags to riches investor in history. They got lucky doing something considered retarded or immoral for the time and just kept making random good moves til they made it.

>one million words long
>no punctuation
bros give me a link or it didn’t happen
this is too hard to believe

en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Pickle_for_the_Knowing_Ones

>The first edition was self-published in Salem, Massachusetts, in 1802. Dexter initially distributed his book for free, but it became popular and was reprinted eight times. The second edition was printed in Newburyport in 1805. In the second edition, Dexter responded to complaints about the book's lack of punctuation by adding an extra page of 11 lines of punctuation marks with the instruction that printers and readers could insert them wherever needed—or, in his words, "thay may peper and solt it as they plese".

>Frinds hear me 2 granadears goss up in 20 days fourder frinds I will tell the A tipe of man kind what is that 35 or 36 years gone A town caled Noubry all won the Younited states Noubry peopel kept to gether quiet till the Larned groed strong the farmers was 12 out of 20 thay wanted to have the offesers in the Contry the Eaned in the see port wanted to have them there geering A Rose groued warme fite thay wood in Law thay went the Jnrel Cort to be sot of finely thay go there Eands Answered the see port caled Newbury Port 600 Eakers of Land out of thirty thousand Eakers of good Land so much for mad peopel of Larning makes them mad if thay had kept to gether they wood have bin the sekent town in this stat
fucking kek I know he was supposedly “uneducated” but he had to be trolling with this shite

I think he just had some sort of writing disability or something. You can tell he has a good vocabulary he just cant spell or write sentences worth a fuck. Its just a massive schizo post.

I love this story

mega based

>trips
yes, he must have been such a fucking autist, what would it be to be a business partner and friend of his, sounds like he had a great sense of humour too

This nigga, while based, is the equivalent of retarded zoomer from guatemala getting rich from investing $100 on Doge and forgetting about it

>tobacker

Attached: 1642387457629.jpg (453x500, 22.53K)

>"thay may peper and solt it as they plese"
Incomprehensibly based.

>doge coin
>forgetting about it
no
> the equivalent of retarded zoomer from guatemala getting rich from investing $100
yes, kek

Attached: 73FFE364-BF85-443D-BD3E-84A4021F2D1A.jpg (828x730, 162.57K)

How can one man be so based? The OG Any Forumsiness man.

I was this man in a past life.

This man is the proof that real retards are midwits. Only retards and genius retards will make it.

The jew fears the punctuation pepperer;