How to accurately keep track of time with a blockchain? Isn't it centralized?

How to accurately keep track of time with a blockchain? Isn't it centralized?

Not Sol related, image is just an example.

Attached: time.png (1125x1376, 572.65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/ripple/rippled/blob/develop/docs/consensus.md#effective-close-time----------effective_close_time
iohk.io/en/research/library/papers/ouroboros-chronospermissionless-clock-synchronization-via-proof-of-stake/
youtube.com/watch?v=qQ8ZUhSIZDc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

chainlink solves this

how? Where does chinklink get the time from? How to accurately keep track of time so you can use it for your blockchain based applications?

>github.com/ripple/rippled/blob/develop/docs/consensus.md#effective-close-time----------effective_close_time
the network conducts consensus on Time itself

You mean Cardano
iohk.io/en/research/library/papers/ouroboros-chronospermissionless-clock-synchronization-via-proof-of-stake/

Attached: honk.jpg (720x720, 457K)

When importing a block check the timestamp, if it's in the future by more than X seconds (according to your local clock), reject that block. Assuming an honest majority the timestamps will be legit. Honest majority is already assumed for consensus to work. That's it, no need for fancy tech.

This clock has no relationship to the real world time.

Decentralised atomic clocks. Actually a good usecase for chainlink to handle as space travel and A.I. in space will demand it.

tell us more, im curious about how time operates on distributed systems, retard here

Exactly the point. It keeps it's own time, no need for external trust.
youtube.com/watch?v=qQ8ZUhSIZDc

Attached: levi.jpg (1920x1080, 319.97K)

>When importing a block check the timestamp
where does it get the timestamp from?

>according to your local clock
where does my local clock gets the time from? how easy it is to manipulate (considering that many people use for example "windows" and get their local time from a central server.... etc?

>Assuming an honest majority the timestamps will be legit
so is a 51% "timestamp" attack possible?

Not long ago there was a simple cheat in video games.

Let's say you can farm 1 "gold" every 24h. so you farm the 1 "gold", close the app, go offline, change your timezone, go back online and get another "gold" and repeat. The cheat doesn't work anymore because the game server fixed it by using their own "timestamp" but where do they get their time from and how easy it is to manipulate the time input?

PoW doesn't need validators to have synchronized clocks. If all you care about is having valid timestamps on the block then the approach I described in works. That's what Bitcoin and Ethereum do.

Consensus that doesn't rely on mining usually works by diving time into slots and at each slot there is some mechanism to decide who gets to author a block. A pre-requisite for this to work is to have relatively synchronized clocks otherwise different validators will have different notions of what is the current slot.

You get time from your local clock which you can synchronize with NTP.

Time as we know it is a literal made up thing based on the sun, so how can it correct what does not exist in nature? Can it move the sun?

>You get time from your local clock which you can synchronize with NTP.
But the NTP (Network Time Protocol) is centralized, right?
Is there a decentralized (blockchain based) Network Time Protocol?

good lord this chain is dogshit

>price hasn't tanked
excuse me but wtf?

>this chain
agree, sorry i read this chan is dogshit...

meanwhile Avalanche is running fine without any downtimes or problems.

Attached: d.jpg (929x1175, 167.83K)

You can run your own NTP server, or you can run your own atomic clock. Where you get your time from doesn't matter, the point is that it will be validated by other validators which have to agree with it. If you think you can coordinate a global attack on NTP go ahead and do it on bitcoin, show me a block with a timestamp for year 3000.

You would use epochs and estimated block times to get as close as you can.

>inbred pedokike chain fails AGAIN
>still slurping little moshe's cock

Attached: 1585350925230.png (326x409, 177.85K)