Accounting career

Hey Any Forums, so I’m fully aware of the coming recession and the hard times that we are facing. I’ve bounced around a lot and have managed over the years to accrue about 90 some hours of college credits yet have no degree. In trying to front run these hard times, I’m thinking about selling my car and getting a job within walking/biking distance while taking some online classes. It looks like I can get my accounting clerk certification after just two accounting classes because of all the classes I already have. So if I took 2 accelerated online classes I can get it by next month. Maybe find a work from home accounting job. Is it a good decision? I’m thinking of maybe working up to getting a CPA. Is accounting a recession proof job? Is it based? Does it suck? Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached: F326A59F-76E2-463A-AE0F-FB9D3AAA417A.jpg (283x350, 29.98K)

I'm trying to do this exact same route but in the UK and im not sure if its possible anymore. My country sucks ass there are no fucking jobs except shitty retail and customer service office jobs

There’s no culvers here so it’s a dealbreaker sad to say

I’ve checked in my area and there’s plenty of accounting jobs available. There’s even lots of remote accounting work. I’m decent with math, got a B in calc 2. But I’ve never really done “accounting math”

Yes good career. Get ca/CPA. Try to do time at big 4. You still be able to use those skills and experience for the rest of your life.
t. ex big 4 CPA fag

It’s not recession proof but there are lots of opportunities because every company needs accountants. Although be aware that most states require you to have 150 credit hours and a bachelors degree in order to even sit for the CPA exam.

>t. CPA w/10 years exp

Accounting math is just basic algebra, everything relates to the basic accounting equation. Beyond that it’s fucking arithmetic.

I have roughly 70 hours at UT Austin, fell into hard times back in 2010 and wasn’t able to finish. Since then I’ve been working and have still took some classes to get me up into 90 hours or so
Is the CPA exam really harder than the bar? I think if I can get my accounting clerk certification and get a job then I can knock out the rest of the classes a couple at a time while building experience
Ok good to know, thanks

I think I misread your post what is big 4?

>what is big 4
>Any Forums - Business & Finance

Pwc, EY, KPMG, Deloitte
Learn how to use google at least

I’m already here asking for advice asshole

And you are getting it faggot.
Look for an internship at those, 3-4 months. At least where I live (Germany) its a solid start for anyone that wants to proceed a career in accounting and finance. They are taking basically anyone here during busy season (winter) for Audit. Its complete slavery tho, but a solid start for your career

>UT Austin
I’m assuming you didn’t get accepted into McCombs business school there or else they would’ve made you take accounting classes. If nothing else go to ACC to take whatever classes you need

No I was actually in the geology program but it was my second choice and I never really wanted to do it. Times got tough financially and I had to drop out and start working. Been doing community college classes here and there in the meantime
Ok well I appreciate you explaining more thanks

Alright buddy, yeah you can make decent money doing accounting work even without a bachelors, just keep working towards that degree and see if you can find an upper division college that will do minisemesters so you can finish quicker and have more flexibility

Ok thanks a lot

You'll get more interviews with a Quickbooks certification (it's an open textbook exam). Nobody is going to want to train you, especially for wfh when they never meet you in person.

Go to r/accounting or r/taxpros, it’s a soul sucking boring profession. Their defense? It’s a recession proof career, blah blah blah.

I’m a CPA, I am constantly thinking while at work “I don’t want to do this anymore”. I hate all my clients, every single one of them, I hate what I do, I don’t create shit.

I’ve been working in trades for the last several years doing custom fabrication. I don’t know what jobs aren’t soul sucking. I just want a comfy work from home job so I can use my brain to make money instead of my body

Do it bro I make $95k wfh in corporate finance. Get like 6 weeks paid vacation as well. Could make more if I wanted to work a lot harder in public accounting.

Do you have a degree in accounting?

Yeah and cpa

Fair enough. Accounting/tax (and the cpa exam) is not rocket science, the tough part is getting the audit experience hours to get cpa certified.

Learn QuickBooks and data analytics software (tableau, power bi) and get bookkeeping clients. Get your EA with the IRS so you can also prepare taxes. Your potential clients will appreciate all those services from one shop (bookkeeping, data analysis/forecasting, taxes). Get your friends to give some stellar reviews on YELP.

Good luck.

The only jobs that aren’t soul sucking are ones that you own or freelance art that you like to do. You can work your career but do your hobbies on the side, that’s how life works. Those 4 hours of TV that most Americans watch a day can be put into productive hobbies like wood working, drawing, reading, working out (necessity as a man), learning to turn your own career into a business (you should try this at least once by 40)

I appreciate the advice anons. I’m waiting for some transcripts to go through, trying to get registered today or tomorrow. It’s a small start but if I can at least get my accounting clerk certification by next month I think it’ll be worth it, and I can continue from there

Can I ask what region of the country, size of town, and years experience?

I tried starting my own business after I left my welding job. Already have all my own tools. But I live in an apartment and am very limited on what I can do. I’ve done a few small mobile repairs and stuff but it’s not steady enough to pay the bills, and I don’t have the space to be able to properly build things. Maybe I’ll get back into it later on if I can ever get into a house, but I’ll never be able to afford a house welding full time, not where I live anyway. And not before I’ve blown out my back lol