How over was Bret in the 90s? I hear a lot about him being one of the the most respected figures in the business...

How over was Bret in the 90s? I hear a lot about him being one of the the most respected figures in the business, but did he truly have that star power?

Attached: bret_hart_03.jpg (350x602, 50.32K)

He was worldwide popular and literally like Canadian jesus in his home country.
He had a lot of female fans in particular.
Peak overness was from '91 to '96. But he's always had a cult following and people love him to this day.

He made Austin. He got the invite for The Simpsons. Beyond that I can't comment because I only started watching wrestling last year.

He was a star for sure. Not Hogan level but he was famous around the world. He was even on the Simpsons.

Attached: dave-meltzer-08.jpg (370x536, 63.1K)

he looked cool as hell and his wrestling was better than every body else. that was more than enough back then

Bret was known enough that if you mentioned him to a random person on the street they'd know who you're talking about.

He's like randy orton level. Has mainstream relevancy but only for wrestling and not crossover shit but not like a celebrity or anythingl.

He was on The Simpsons

Massively over. Shit, go watch SS92. Even in Bulldog's home country Bret still gets an almost equally huge pop.

Despite what the smarks on this board say, Bret was over, especially with children. In his Survivor Series in '96 with Steve Austin, Bret got massive pop.

THE BEST

He was probably in the A- category of over if you consider Hogan A+. When he went to WCW he became completely irrelevant. He was a true wrestler and the boys respected him, I think he took himself way too seriously. He also had limited crossover appeal. He tried his hand in acting in Hollywood but didn't really work out

why did he let Goldberg hit him for real and give him permanent health damage?

Who would he be comparable to today in terms of hype at Hart's prime?

As big as John Cena?
More like on Omega's level (still huge but not outside the fandom)?

Nobody, stars back then were 10x bigger than "stars" now. How many current wrestlers are household names?

So...bigger than John Cena today?
On par with The Rock at the time?

It seems crazy to me as a scrub who hasn't been following wrestling for more than a few years but like...what was Bret's appeal that made him just a gigastar?

The Rock had charisma up the ass.
Cena is crazy appealing to kids.
The Hulkster had an extremely iconic look and persona.

From my (lacking) perspective Bret Hart's "thing" was...just being an extremely technically gifted wrestler? Credit where credit is due but that just makes him sound like the Bryan Danielson of the 90s...and while Danielson is big, he's nowhere near as big as you're all making him sound like he was.

I'm not calling bullshit, I just don't understand what *set him apart.*

What made Bret stand out?

Rock in his prime*
SUCH a gigastar**

He was great because WWE told me has was great and I was bored of Hulk Hogan even as an 8 year old.

First, he was from a family considered wrestling royalty. Everyone "expected" him to be great, and he was really good. People debate his look but it was unique for the time with the pink and black and sunglasses. I guess people really bought into him being a technical master in ring because in all reality, he kinda was.

his character got good when he started doing the Team Canada Anti America shit.
In terms of star power, Austin started to shine when he started feuding with Bret in late 1996. That speaks for itself.

You didn't have to stand out. He was the good guy and beat the bad guys. He looked like a wrestling god compared to most of WWEs other wrestlers at the time. It was literally that simple.