3d printing business

On thursday I'll have my last day at a job I did for 8 years and was hell for me for 2 years.
I have two fdm 3d printers and one resin printer at home.
if I decided to start a business with designing (I have a little experience designing stuff for around the house, but def need to learn more) and printing shit for people/business, do you think I could make a living from that?

if I could at least rake in the money I spent on the printers, that'd be good. and then see where it leads me

Attached: filamentworld_prusa_i3_mk3s_fertiger_drucker.jpg (750x500, 96.28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PceI1AtgFvo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It’s definitely do- able but your gonna gonna have to put all your profits into more printers. The good thing is they’re cheap. Keep Advertising your business and at some point a company will ask you to churn out multiples of the same object. Good luck

Better if you have a product you can churn out and sell.

Harder if you take customer orders and have to spend more time and energy recalibrating constantly and babysitting the machines

Buy good machines off the start or you'll be in for a world of maintenance hurt.

Or you could write an actual business plan instead of looking for emotional support from strangers on the internet. You already quit your job? Might as well start trying to make money, but write a plan.

>do you think I could make a living from that?
From what? You didn't present a business plan.

I have a prusa, I'm set (post sponsored by /diy/)
but jokes aside, they have been very reliable. I don't have failed prints unless I fuck up in the slicer

I thought business plans are only really necessary when I want money from a bank, but sure, you're right - better have one as a guide book for myself than just go with the flow

>I thought business plans are only really necessary when I want money from a bank
No, business plans are necessary when you're planning a business. Jesus Christ.

Attached: file.png (787x443, 380.44K)

no, I understand. I'm just efficient when it comes to paperwork. what confuses me about business plans are any financial prognoses. that depends on so many things, how the fuck should I know.

it would make more sense for me in that regard that I start off doing some commissions, then I'll have a feel for how much money comes in and goes out - then write the plan

Don't focus on the money. Focus on the process. The money comes with the process, but never without. A business plan isn't just how to monetize yourself. It's how you literally plan to operate.
What are you DOING?

>printing shit for people/business
This doesn't mean anything.

yeah, I get you. my brain is coming up with the ideas as I write, I'll put a plan together asap.

Jesus man you just need to make bullet points for yourself and us about who you are selling to, how you will find them, how you will charge them and how you'll cheaply send them the product.

I've been to some start up fares and each time the business plan was brought up, it was this highly detailed plan about every aspect of the business. I mean, SUPERDETAILED. always seemed like gatekeeping to me

>thinks doing the bare minimum is gatekeeping
lmao I'm out, good luck OP

Attached: Eustace Curious Machine.jpg (1124x1102, 228.38K)

my gf showed me this chick that made Fnaf ball jointer dolls. all these people were mad as fuck because she refused to share the files to print them. I realized all she did was segmented the models in blender and printed them. legit thinking about printing off game models for dnd figures but I'm worried qabout copyright

>the 31 year old printoor
>doesn't work, just prints

Do custom action figures. Like find an old toy line with a big fan base and do figures that fit in with that aesthetic, but something you designed.

> make
> trademark
> sell

Ez

I watched some British guy's YouTube video about 3d printing on demand as a business. He said it's doable but the market is highly saturated. Don't try to compete on price, but instead try to do really good work to get repeat customers. If you can design your own product to mass produce and sell, that's probably your best bet, but otherwise a contract for bulk parts might be nice. From my experience, most of the human time consumed is in prep and error correcting. Those are minimized with bulk production. If you can just leave your printers going for a day straight, you can spend your own time doing something else, either productively or in leisure.

The video
youtube.com/watch?v=PceI1AtgFvo

why aren't you printing money on it?

3d printing isn't for bulk production, it's for prototyping. If you want that then look into injection molding.

Right, but there's reasons to use it as a middle ground or for specialized parts. I don't mean cranking out millions of something. I mean in the range of like 10-1000 depending on the size of the part. Molding isn't cheap so there's still plenty of justification for printing in that range.

Make ar-15 mags