Semiconductor market analysis

I'm researching the semiconductor market, and Taiwan makes the majority of semiconductors used in the world. With how at risk they are with Chinese invasion, I think it's important to begin manufacturing semiconductors in secure nations with strong IP laws, and open markets. I've seen there is an immense barrier to entry in terms of sheer monetary cost of the equipment with large factories ranging in the billions to build. Does a 20 year old schmuck like me have a chance to open a basic semiconductor factory? What is the future of this market for small entrepreneurs and the world in general?

Attached: semiconductor-manufacturing-equipment.jpg (750x500, 59.61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NHSR6AHNiDs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>What is the future of this market for small entrepreneurs and the world in general?
There is none.

What do you mean? Explain.

>strong IP laws
>open markets
pick one

>Does a 20 year old schmuck like me have a chance to open a basic semiconductor factory?
samsungs factory in texas is coming in at 17B
intels is building one in us that is now 30B
so no, a 20yr old like you has no chance.

>With how at risk they are with Chinese invasion, I think it's important to begin manufacturing semiconductors in secure nations with strong IP laws, and open markets.
They're building some in America because of the risk.
>I've seen there is an immense barrier to entry in terms of sheer monetary cost of the equipment with large factories ranging in the billions to build.
Yes and the problem is that the cutting edge changes rapidly. Not even mainland chinksects can keep up
>Does a 20 year old schmuck like me have a chance to open a basic semiconductor factory?
Definitely not.
>What is the future of this market for small entrepreneurs
Look into Arm Ltd.

You do know how complext and expensive clean rooms are to maintain, this doesn't even touch on the actual equipment. You don’t have mom n pop spinning on IP dip in their garages to make gates the size of a few nanometers. You could jury rig something with third hand equipment but that would still cost millions and produce sub par products at scales that have long since been made obsolete with the nanoscale manufacturing going on now

I meant markets that are open to the product in terms of demand. I just couldn't think of a word that would say all that.
Theres apparently even sub markets of semiconductors. Military, computing, audio/video. The military one would be maybe the easiest to get into as contracts can cover alot of the upfront costs of production.

The problem is the time it takes to set things up is immense. Designs in production today are years out of date compared to what is planned. This is the age old problem with designing complex systems. You need all the different groups to contribute, which introduces a lot of delay and communication risks. I hate to just say “it’s very complicated” and leave it at that, but it kind of is. It’s not really a market you can break into without billions and thousands of employees

Yes, I know, they have tolerances in the nanometers. This obviously wouldnt be a pump and dump stock/crypto scheme like 99 percent of the shit on this board. I'm just seeing these future markets opening up and expanding in the future and I want to see what business role is plausible for me to fit into.

get hired as a technician, designer, manager. pretty straightforward moving forward

A basic semiconductor factory (fab) would still be hundreds of millions of dollars. 1 photolithography stepper is $15,000,000. Most fabs have at least 20 steppers alone. Thin films, etch, implant, metrology, etc. People, etc.

No. Sorry pal but you don’t even have any idea where to start. I work in manufacturing and did tons of work for Applied Materials and the requirements for a manufacturing facility to make semi conductors is a huge investment which is why they farm out all their product line to be made by others. You’ve got ISO standards you have to meet, machine tools even if you go the cheapest could be 50k, 30k for tooling, you have to hire quality machinists which will run $30+/hr base salary, you will fork over thousands in permits to the city, you have EPA standards since you’ll be housing and using chemicals and oils to manufacture the parts, develop relationships with Applied Materials alone would be a year long effort before you get into profit. It’s not easy and you will be spending your entire day everyday managing that facility.

What the actual fuck kinda thread is this. Seems like DARPA doing some weird AI research.

>schmuck
Well Mr. Goy it appears there's a problem on the "Early Life" section of your application. Better luck next time.

kek

bleeding edge semi conductors are probably the least accessible industry on earth. you need enormous facilities, better part of a decade in R&D, and multi million dollar machines ran by expensive professionals in state of the art clean rooms, and you need to do it all at the billion dollar scale to be profitable.

what you could theoretically do is DESIGN RISKV chips if you have a background in computer science and a shit load of drive and maybe partner with intel to get it produced. would still need a huge investment from croud funding or something.

I work as a technician in a cleanroom and this is not gonna happen for reasons you've already been told.
You could try manufacturing micrometer scale chips or integrated circuits as a hobby but for a business the demand for decades old technology doesn't exist. Some of my coworkers are into that shit.

>Does a 20 year old schmuck like me have a chance to open a basic semiconductor factory? What is the future of this market for small entrepreneurs and the world in general?
kek have you done any ACTUAL reserach faggot? if you did youd understand what a retarded question this is

youtu.be/NHSR6AHNiDs
Yeah just make one of these (without infringing on ASML patents). You are woefully detached from reality if the thought of just opening up a semiconductor fab even crossed your mind. There's so much involved in this, when the big guys build a new fab, they literally copy the last one they built exactly. The entire building, the breakroom and the shitters too, because the processes are so finicky. They've built on knowledge that they started gaining in the 60s, and this knowledge is all carefully protected trade secrets. They don't patent it because then the chinks could read their patent filings, it's more secure this way.

I'm sure this is why the chinks want Taiwan so badly. And there will be a big opportunity to make (or lose) a fortune when they try. But I'm not sure how. As others have mentioned, big players are building backup operations in the west and particularly in the US. But when China takes Taiwan, will the fabs be sabotaged and key personnel evacuated, and supply of chips will be decimated?
Or will china gain production and trade secrets and western firms will lose their competitive advantages?

Additionally, Moores law is reaching the end of its use as a predictive tool. Lithography can not be made smaller than 2 nm. This will have a huge impact on the industry and likely society and the economy at large. Moores law was the underpinning of the exponential growth in the economy for the last 60 years.
The industry is booming right now, both production and r&d. And everything is delayed massively due to "supply chains" (along with massively increased demand for all standard components used in production).

Can't believe I typed all that for a mouth breathing retard. OP is a fag, buy chainlink.

TSMC is building a super facility in Arizona. Once that place is up and running, the foundry on the island itself will no longer hold the keys to the kingdom

that shit is fascinating

Buy Algorand, got it .

I hope OP isnt in America or other NATO country as his legs will surely be broken.