Do video games normally cost $40 million to create?

Do video games normally cost $40 million to create?

Attached: file.png (645x370, 210.19K)

Im not sure but I imagine they are super expensive compared to 10-20 yearss ago.

Remember on PS1 and PS2 there was a game for fucking everything. Literally every TV Show even childrends TV shows had video games. Now it feels like everything is an indie game or a huge AAA title.

Anyone explain this phenomenon?

Jews

for your CoD's and GTA's it's more than 200 million, 40 million is probably in the low end of aaa games

HD res increase the cost exponentially. The higher that goes the more expensive it gets.

I know MGS5 was the most expensive at it's time at 150 million development cost

All that shovelware licensed shit is on mobile devices now

Good graphics like in the pic you posted OP are expensive

and they still couldn't finish the game lol

The more complex and graphically complex a game is the more it costs. Before games were able to be made quicker than now and companies were willing to license their IPs to have a game made and (hopefully) make some money. When it comes to license games, over the years they simply didn’t sell well and carroed a reputation of being cheap, low quality shovelware that no longer appealed to children. With the rise of gaming content online and user reviews it became easier to avoid bad games and eventually the market for licensed games died.
The issue with the price of video games is that now everything needs a ton of features, a bunch of content, best graphics, online multiplayer, and the companies always have some deadline to meet so they have to work basically night and day just to have something playable a couple days before they start printing copies. Then they gotta offset whatever costs they still have with dlc, micro transactions, etc, along with having to have that planned just to keep the game itself relevant for longer. The last good licensed game I remember a lot of people looked forward to was dragon ball fighterz which I can’t find an exact number for but I kept seeing people say it cost half a million dollars to make one character so it costs at least $21.5 mil along with more expenses along with it such as advertising, licensing the original music and characters from dbz, hiring the original casts for both english and japanese dubs, and more

As technology improves, the more expensive shit becomes. Same goes for creating the AAA games.
For your question, I'm gonna assume it's because game studios spend years or are so rushed on one game that they just have no time to do anything.
Take Rockstar, they were focused on GTA 5 for so long, but confirmed recently that they are working and always have been working on GTA 6. But they spend fucking years making a GTA game now. they hire so many people to work on it, then fire them when it's done.
But take COD, those game studios only have 1 year to work on a game, and literally 2 weeks ago, it was confirmed they are finally getting 2 years to work on the next COD game. AAA studios either waste all their time on one game or are fucking rushed to pump out games.

Both of these replies also answer as to why the game industry is stagnant. The investors want a guaranteed profit, so they pressure the big companies to make the last big game in a new skin/update/sequel. It's boring and the golden era of games is over just like in wrestling, music, and movies.

haha no, they cost way more

40m is a drop in the bucket for video game development at the AAA level

Nah much more than that

It does that's why gaming is dead

Genshin Impact took 100 million dollars to make

this isn't a AAA

It's AA at the absolute worst, which again, 40m isn't out of the ordinary. Even moreso when you consider an engine built from the bottom up

That's on the low end for none indie games.

When you include shipping and advertising it gets very expensive yes.

The industry is worth hundreds of billions and growing. Gaming has never been more alive.

chinese retards wasting all their worthless money on fortnite doesnt make gaming good

They could've just brushed over No Mercy with new graphics the same way they remastered Tony Hawk and Diablo 2. Stupid they aren't doing that.

People who didn't grow up playing No Mercy don't want No Mercy. It was great for it's time, but without the nostalgia it's nothing special.