Debt Collections

Okay anons I kinda got fucked here.
>Go to college on GI Bill after shooting Muslims for Israel
>Drop out because lefty college professors are tedious as fuck and I got the job in the industry I was going to school for anyway
>School doesn’t inform VA on time
>VA overpays me for housing about 2k
>VA slaps school with the bill because they fucked up
>School slaps me with a bill because they fucked up
>Move away so no written notice
>Calls regarding debt collection are immediately chalked up to obvious scams and negress on the phone is told to walk into traffic because I have no student loans
>Credit report now reads a 2k debt in collections
I want to buy a house and for that I need to have all this shit cleared up but it’s already 3 years behind me. I think the statute of limitations in Florida is like 5. Should I pay it off and take the L, hire a Jewish lawyer and take an L on principle, or are there any other options here?

Other urls found in this thread:

money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/debt/articles/how-to-negotiate-with-debt-collectors
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tiddies!

I'm not going to read all that. Thanks for the tits

im tits up right now in debt

2k in debt? Just pay it off

I could I just don’t fucking want to. It’s fucking bullshit.

Ummmmmm.....I always thought that the GI bill pays you AFTER the fact and not before, so I'm going to need a little more information on that one. As far as statute of limitations, I'm not really sure what you mean by that. If you're wondering whether or not they can garnish your paycheck, I do believe that's 7 years, and as for negative content on your credit score, that's also a 7 year span.

Debt collectors (I used to work as one) will still call you after 7 years though, because technically you still owe them money....and here comes the important part: never EVER pay a debt that has crossed the 7 year mark because when you do you're "renewing the debt" for another 7 years. That's why a common tactic collectors are taught is to just ask for SOME of the money, because once you make that one payment the clock resets back to 0 and you'll have to wait another 7 years.

I would suggest getting a simple credit card or a gas card and just making nice slow payments on it for the next two years, and then you can move up a notch and maybe buy a car or something like that, this way you can start getting the ball rolling on improving your credit score. How old are you?

Yeah, don't pay it off if you don't have to.

GI Bill gives you a monthly housing stipend while you are in school. I had already ETS’d by the time I went to school. Went for business admin. Got hired at a bank and dropped out. I do okay. I can pay the whole thing off right now lump sum I just didn’t know what the benefits or negatives were. I know I have to pay off all collections before I qualify for a mortgage, I’m sure the cost of a lawyer would exceed the debt itself, but I really don’t want to give these fucks a penny. This was early 2019 so I can pay it off or wait four more years before it falls off my credit I guess. Would this even help my credit score?

30 btw

Testin

Can you negotiate with a collector to pay off the collection under the stipulation they have it removed from your credit report entirely?

Why the fuck did they delete my image?

Attached: 144E0986-31D0-4E90-BE76-C3253C6EB4D3.jpg (474x551, 32.33K)

From my understanding you have to pay collections to qualify for a mortgage but it doesn’t come off your actual score for 7 years regardless. Sometimes the score itself will go down if you do. Trying to research the subject basically amounts to a bunch of ads for lawyers and debt consolidation companies looking for poor retards to scam.

Negotiate. Be calm and polite. Offer a lump sump around 30%. They will negotiate you up and probably settle for 50-60%.

>Would this even help my credit score?

It would help your credit score by simply no longer being on your credit report after 7 years, however you could bring down your credit utilization rate by just paying it off now.

I would go ahead and just pay it off now and focus the next four years on building better credit. One way to look at it would be to consider it a payment towards a lesson learned and not envision yourself "folding" or letting "them" get the better of you. I know it can be a punch to the gut, but four years wasted IS four years wasted after all. Just remember that you're not teaching them a lesson by suing them, and I'm pretty sure a lawyer will even tell you that you're better off just paying....but then again there are indeed some bargain lawyers out there that might charge you half your debt or some shit like that. All of that sounds incredibly exhausting to me though, and it sounds like you've been through a lot as it is. In the end, do what you feel is right, of course, but based on what you've posted if I were in your shoes I would simply pay it off and focus solely on the future

How old are you? Do you work? How much money do you have saved up? Oh and where do you live (state only pls)

And remember to tell them you want the debt *paid in full* to credit bureaus.

>It would help your credit score by simply no longer being on your credit report after 7 years,
Assuming they actually drop it. Make sure to get everything SIGNED and in writing. Collection agencies are complete scum and will often bait people by saying they will settle for 50% and then once they collect the money, still try and collect the other 50% or "forget" to report it to the credit agencies.

Nice article
money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/debt/articles/how-to-negotiate-with-debt-collectors

>Can you negotiate with a collector to pay off the collection under the stipulation they have it removed from your credit report entirely?

YES! But they're likely going to charge you for it. I would consult a debt consolidator in a situation like that because they can organize the whole thing into "easy" monthly payments along with their fee.

>Collection agencies are complete scum

Yeah, and after the recession they made it really difficult for them to practice their awfulness, but there are still a bunch of little ways they can screw you. Definitely read ALL of the fine print, and don't let them rush you. If they get stupid just tell them you have to go and that you'll call them tomorrow—then hang up, and don't answer when they call back. When I worked for a collection agency there would be times when I'd run into someone that knew what they were doing or were being advised very well, and I'm telling you that there's no punishment worse for a collector than being handed an account that's about to close, only for the debtor to either change their mind or drag the whole thing out (all of their calls are being recorded and even listened in on so we couldn't lie about anything).

Just remember that there's actual human beings on the other line that have to meet quotas and are just simply doing their job as they were trained to do it. You wouldn't believe just how many agents are on a list of psychiatric medications that could stretch from one side of a room to another, but with that said, you have to look out for yourself first, so if they get dumb go ahead and get dumb right back. This could lead to higher fees should you decide to negotiate a deal though.