How is life as a corporate executive...

How is life as a corporate executive? Somebody who makes a lot of money working at a medium to big company (let's say at least several hundred employees) and works somewhere at the level of "Senior Vice President" and up.
Seems like a lot of workaholics and people who have spent their entire working life changing jobs and locations to climb the ladder after attending an ivy league college and probably a McKinsey gig. Are those people happy? Is it cool to be a corporate bigshot or is it just the most extreme rat racers exhausting themselves to death, the equivalent of bleary eyed, sickly pro gamers but with money and business instead of video games?

Attached: istockphoto-1069160140-612x612.jpg (612x344, 26.88K)

Their whole job is about sucking up to their superiors while doing nothing useful.

lmao, this is every job.

it's a shitload of work and responsibility. the money is great, but I enjoyed life more when I made $200k than at $800k.

From what I've seen from my lowly position, it's a lot of politics and fuckup management. You have to defend your turf from other ambitious senior managers/executives that will try to steal your best employees/projects and try to blame you for their own failures. When something goes wrong you have to find a way to make it disappear and when something works well you have to brag about it as much as you can and leverage that to get more responsibility.

ya imagine sucking your bosses dick for $10/hr instead of $500,000/yr. some people will rationalize their way out of anything. if i'm wage slaving i'm going to be doing it for as much money as possible. being a righteous low-paid employee means literally nothing

This. It's also a very up or out attitude. You are basically are promoted until you're no longer good or happy with what you do and stay miserable in that position

They pay you that much because in return they want you to sacrifice your life to the firm. Working +80 hours each week

Attached: peeeepeeee.jpg (241x209, 7.33K)

>the equivalent of bleary eyed, sickly pro gamers but with money and business instead of video games?

It's a really good comparison. I've sort of done both, but only as the unofficial eyes on the ground lackey for a senior VP.

In eSports you're always trying to stand out and advance to better teams. Usually at least 3/5 of the players are trying to rest advance their brand and will pull shit to improve how they look even at the detriment to the team. Your quintessential ball hogs. Usually one guy that gets bullied most and blamed for shit goes bad for the hot shot. Don't be that guy and don't stand up for that guy, just be glad you aren't him. Always try to advance to better teams. If you ever want to see this dynamic in its pure form watch some Chinese counter strike. Nobody will do anything risky to try and clutch because they care about the box score so much at their level. High level EUCS players always try to go for the clutch because your highlight reel is your brand.

Corporate seemed to be like that but in slow motion and way more cloak and dagger shit. I would be expected find shit two or three levels down to point out, which the senior VP could use to deflect criticism or attack other elites. They would do the same to us.

This is true, but it doesn't stay isolated to the top. Their underlings are spies for them, and they select an underling to spy a level down and so on and so forth down the chain. If you aren't the mole then someone else is, and it's probably the guy who is suspiciously bad at his job.

I hate people and don’t have many friends so being a workaholic is fine with me. If you are a social butterfly or value your life it’s an awful existence

That's the problem. The social game is 90% of it.

this is the most autistic comparison ever. what does any of this even mean. esports have nothing to do with working as an executive in a huge company. it's just a bunch of dumb kids getting scammed by people that know business

It’s constantly running around putting out fires all day.
If you have shareholders to report to, you have to sit there and take responsibility for every fuck up in the company at least a couple times a year.
It pays well if your company’s stock goes up, but the stress isn’t worth it.

You don't know anything about business. You just watched madmen and assumed real life was like teevee. It's literally absolutely 100% nothing like what you just described. I'm feeling embarrassed for you.

I have seen both worlds from the inside. I was trying to carve out my niche in CS:S way back in the day. If you did enough digging you could probably figure out who I am.

They're both highly competitive organizations filled with humans and share the same characteristics. The same jockeying for power, the same blame passing, the same backdoor deals where everyone is trying to advance even to the detriment of the organization. It's basically the cracked out, far less subtle version of the same organization structure.

>dumb kids getting scammed by people that know business

Again, it's a lot closer than you think. You're just the dumb kid getting exploited, wagie.

>How is life as a corporate executive?
Soul crushing.
>Are those people happy?
They generally hate everything. The estranged husband fucking the secretary meme is very real. There's few good people, there's even fewer stable and good people in those roles. The true unicorn is the exec that gives a shit, and isn't an adderall popping wreck.

There are only two types of people in these roles.

You described the first type, they're in it for life. They will forever continue to climb the corporate ladder. They will hate their life once they get stuck. (The only thing you aren't accurate on is the ivy league degree. I know people who clawed their way into a big consulting firm VP level from being a McDonalds' line employee.)

The second type are in it to make as much money as they can before they burn out. They know that they will burn out and make contingency plans when they hit the income level they want. Lots of them start up secondary businesses and eventually just retire.

tl;dr, yes it's a massive rat race. The money is very good, but the burnout is inevitable. Eventually you either hit a comfy position where you do basically nothing, or you're forever stuck in upper-middle management.

t. Am tangentially in the second category, have an exit strategy, about 7 more years left till I retire out of the industry because fuck the rat race when my kids are growing up.

What industry, and how big is the company? Mine was a Fortune 100, I have to assume smaller and more agile firms can squash that culture sooner.

Consider yourself blessed if you were able to advance without sucking dick, stepping on necks and throwing people under buses.

>Mad men
Outdated, watch House of Lies.
It's exaggerated for sure, but it's very VERY close to reality.

t. Spent most of AWS re-invent smoking grass and tossing green at strippers with my VP

>Consider yourself blessed if you were able to advance without sucking dick, stepping on necks and throwing people under buses.
This just confirmed it for me. The way you talk about corporate culture is so dramatic it's like you got it from a movie.
>cloak and dagger shit
Boomers have a hard time figuring out outlook and touch typing, do you really think they're capable of "cloak and dagger shit"? Upper management is just squabbling over project resources and making sure your guys are keeping up with deadlines. Interviews and constant meetings to talk about future state shit. The only political stuff is kissing C-level ass.

Please stop, this is too cringe for me to handle.

>believing that it's boomers in those levels and not burnt out gen-Xers.
Zoomer, pls.

Mad men isn't real life, I'm so sorry

>Has never fucked a stripper with his boss
Your loss zoomie.

Now you're just baiting me! What the heck!