250k is the new 6 figures

I only make 150k a year I might as well long rope. Basically lower class.

Attached: 1637614725391.png (780x796, 763.69K)

Brother I am clocking around 300 in san francisco and feel poor AF, it never ends

2 mil is the new 6 figures

how do I get one of these jobs that makes 6 figures? I have an econ degree and only make like 75k doing excel bullshit

They don't make that, they larping and make no money, probably NEET.

Anyone crazy enough to make a thread like this joke or not is not a properly functioning member of society.

There may be some chance he makes it, if he does he is making money beyond his competency, is glad he makes it, and his super retard brain is telling him to make this thread as a kind of larp that he thinks $150k is beneath him.

learn programming. it's always the answer.

i was in your position more than 10 years ago, post financial crisis. i made a bet on tech and programming and it paid off massively. i'm in way better shape.

And I know it's like - how could anyone be so pathetic to simply make stuff up on an anonymous board, like why the hell would they.

Yeah, but you're thinking about things from a rational viewpoint while they are not. The amount of wild larps I've seen online that have been confirmed as larps, there are loads and loads of batshit people that will simply larp anything.

I work at subway

how? I took a coursera thing for python and java and learned a bit but none of it really taught me how to actually do anything. I don't understand how you actually make the jump from online coding courses to actually doing something with it. I've spend dozens of hours learning python and I still don't know what you actually do with it

>san francisco
That place is an über expensive open air asylum wtf are you doing there lmao

Attached: 271591687_635015971153202_8704698240758513722_n.jpg (781x425, 56.02K)

Stop making these retarded threads. Holy crap this board fell off hard.

On 6 figures and poor. I love like literal shit for a first world country. High 6 figs is where I would say it starts to get comfy and anything low 6 figs and below is varying degrees of hell.

Some people have jobs user. Some neighborhoods are nice (the ones with 10m+ homes). Not that any of this is an excuse, mind you. I’d have to be making at least 400k to consider living in San Francisco

Moved here for job. now we are all remote there is little reason to stay. I like walking to restaurants and SF does have beautiful surrounding nature (inb4 someone mentions the tenderloin yea no shit noone actually goes to downtown SF for fun) but after a few years it gets old. I want to buy a house some day, my partner and I are pulling ~500 combined and we literally cannot afford a 2 bedroom single family home in a medium scale part of town (sf proper or east bay), or the competition is so high that you put a 1.3m offer on a little shitbox and get blown out by all cash offers. If I move out of the "premium cost" location I will take a salary hit but lowered cost of living will probably make up for it.

honestly its hard to just "Break into it" without having some form of credential. studying CS at uni is your surest bet, whether it be a 4 year bachelors or 2 year second bachelors (i know someone who did this successfully). to be prepared for an interview, you NEED to leetcode. By that I mean go to leetcode.com and try to solve 200+ data structure & algorithm questions. python is the easiest interview language. algos in c++ are hard as fugg to implement fast and correct. recruiters at big boy companies typically will not give you a chance at an entry level position unless you are a student or have prior relevant work experience.

ALTERNATIVELY you could try a coding bootcamp which is a few months and they take a portion of your salary if you land a job. the people i know who got jobs like this typically did not need to do leetcode.com style questions, but they were intervieweing for lower tier startup-type companies that pay way less than the big tech companies. but they are fine stepping stones to more legit positions.

no offense but if you can make 300k in SF you are qualified enough to get a remote job that pays enough to justify the move. i mean even at 150-200k i get it's a significant pay cut but i think i'd take that cut to not have to live in SF. there are many many other worthwhile cities you can live off 200k just fine on. i have nothing against CA by the way it's just certain cities are not worth living in unless you are OK with living in a room and saving all your income and living like a broke college student while you do it. i did that when i first got out of college but 5-6 years later i'm not looking to live that broke again

I've currently been looking at possible grad-level options that are willing to take people with 0 CS experience. Right now I've found that UPenn offers an online MS in Computer Information Technology for like $30k that gives you the same degree as the on-campus version. NYU Tandon also does a program for $2k where they teach you a few unaccredited CS courses with the idea that they look on it very favorably if you apply for MS in Computer Science or Engineering. There are a few other online compsci type masters like Georgia Tech that will admit people without a CS undergrad but even those want you to have some kind of experience to be competitive. The whole thing seems fucked, how am I supposed to change my career? I feel like I've been gypped, I hate that I got a useless undergrad and I'm going to have to pay tens of thousands of dollars to fix it.

150,000 USD?

That's over 190,000 Canadian pesos, more than what 95% of people here make.

not according to your housing prices, someone is able to afford it

Still can barely afford my apartment

Attached: 1627933429150.png (808x805, 704.12K)

Yeah i’m just telling you what i know about family who works there. As i said i’d need 400k to consider if. I’d definitely take that pay along the lines of what you mentioned for something remote.

My very close friend did lots of research on this and switched from a very demanding profession that he hated to the Oregon State online CS program with 0 prior CS experience. He recently landed an internship at a big tech company (this will help him tremendously landing a full time role after school) and will only spend around 1-1.5 years in the program total. This showed me that those online CS programs are for real, but just know that this guy hustled his ass off (hundreds of leetcode questions) so u still gotta put the work in.

Of course you got got gypped, you did economics, the field where it has been scientifically proven that people are consistently wrong about everything and where flipping a coin will give you greater chances of calling things correct

The fix, take a cut in pay and a much larger cut to cost of living and move to not gay states. You would live looking well on a fraction of that income in the poor south, land too if you wanted it. Don't be such faggots.
>T.seethingpoorfag

FUCKING well*

if you want to have more options, focusing on web development is probably the best path. all companies need web services and applications these days. frontend, backend, whatever. the advantage of this too is once you're experienced enough, you'll have the skills to build your own ideas down the road if that appeals to you.

an alternative path is data science, machine learning, etc. however, realistically speaking it'll be a lot more time and effort since you have to have strong math skills.

the single best thing you can do to set yourself up for success is to try to get some kind of internship. work for free part-time if you have to. having an actually programming role on your resume will give companies some level of confidence and take a chance on you. if all you have to show is coursera, a certification, or a bootcamp, you won't standout from the 1000s of other people you're competing against.

>If I move out of the "premium cost" location I will take a salary hit but lowered cost of living will probably make up for it.

No probably. It will. I work remotely in a lower cost of living area and sometimes recruiters will reach out offering me 30k more. Cost of living would eat up at least another 90k. We make 500k and here we can pay off our house this year, no more bills, and looking to buy an acre near Park City and build something amazing. It is beyond easy to save money and invest. The mild weather of SF is not worth the expense. Keep your current job and MOVE and your eyes will be opened.

I make about 30k a year
I own nothing and I'm happy

Thanks for this. Food for thought.