Acquiring cheap, "worthless" land

This isn't a general or anything. I live in a state with lots of cheap arid land. Is there any benefit to acquiring it for $1,000 an acre in most places? It's just desert and scrubland.

Attached: CD_2012_0322_1503_xgaplus.jpg (1152x767, 270.39K)

Bump

How deep is the water?

You could try to make an earthship, depending on the zoning. Also, your neighbors would probably be land speculators who buy it and hold forever. So you could probably put a fence that extends onto their land, and claim it in 10 years if they don't do anything.

Go out there and find some with the best view on an accessable road.

Depends if its close to some highway or anything relevant.
Like some scrubland on a riverbank 30Km from Sydney was cheap like that back in the 1980s.
Now the city spread so much its the most expensive plots of land for housing.
Its like a longest of the long shot investment.

You could also try growing lots of desert-hardy flowering plants, and then beekeeping.

>Duuuuuuuuuude...
I saw an ad in the WSJ a few years ago and tons of land in NV was super cheap like that or less. Very tempting...

Attached: 143EE364-F600-4180-B207-8BBA49172384.png (736x960, 299.06K)

It's a gamble breh. I'd rather buy a swampland than a desert though

You also might be able to raise goats on it.

These are grand ideas. Chzeck out Michael Reynold's work on Earthships and enter the rabbit hole.

Attached: different.png (1293x1293, 1.61M)

do you have a large amount of cattle that can make the land absorb a proper amount of moisture

are you setting up a solar power plant

if not then probably no

I’m tempted to buy some land with limestone, bring out a crane and an excavator and other equipment, and build a massive cathedral

Yeah because a lot of time people think there isnt any resources and it turns out there is. That happened in the ND Bakken shale boom. It was actually the second oil boom in ND but a lot of farmers sold their rights after the first boom thinking that was all it was. They missed out on a ton of money. You dont always know whats there until decades of research of passion suddenly shows something. Plus its worth rewilding land or preserving it. Desert is still a biome that is beautiful.

I thought about doing this in AUSTRALIA but I looked at some $10k land that was fucking massive but turns out you had to pay an annual tax of like $150,000 to the government to maintain ownership of it

So they cuck out anyone from just buying it and holding it … it’s basically you paying them 6 figure a year to gamble on a large lot of land in the middle of nowhere that will 99% chance Not ever be worth anything

Hunting. Get a decent parcel and you can lease it to hunters couple times a year. Or just hunt it yourself for cheap organic protein.

no

It's the desert. You're lucky if there's 3 rabbits per acre.

I am jelly of you Americans. I’d buy tons of desert land. Starting a homestead in then desert with nobody around to bother you and exploring the desert for fun would be so cool.

Before anybody says living in the desert is unfeasible, you can do it, if you have knowledge of permacultures you could literally terraform a small oasis and live in paradise

>Buy swamp
>Try to do something with it
>Bunch of hippies show up crying about mah crocodillos and undiscovered specieses.
Think I would rather have the desert.

You can do that?!
Whats a good state to shop for this?