>Bachelors of Science, Mechanical Engineering

Attached: 509C9AA5-CC9B-4D28-9BEE-07420D6BD075.png (717x694, 597.71K)

Take the data pill.

t. tripled my salary

>Bachelor's of Science, Computer Science

Attached: download.jpg (239x211, 6.14K)

We have this thread at least twice a week. Go get a masters if you don’t want to do monkey tier work, that’s just how it is for ME

bachelor of science, mining engineering

Attached: Screenshot 2022-02-01 185843.png (721x412, 501.16K)

>Please provide proof of vaccination or you will be terminated

bro please help me, I'm a second year (1 year left) in mechanical engineering, what are the best things I can do to transition quickly!

>why yes, I am an Electrical Engineer, how could you tell?
>Anyways bro I though a bit about that mechanical drawing you sent me and it seems a bit silly, allow me to offer some advice based on common-sense mechanical intuition
>needless to say this will not be based on formal training, why do you have to go to school to do your job again?

Attached: 1639818014079.png (662x662, 208.58K)

mathmaxx, matlabmaxx, numericalmaxx, and controlsmaxx. All of the modern data science software stack is based on a clone of matlab in python called "numpy". Also deep learning is all based on vector calculus, which CS retards really struggle with. Learn about ML and statistics and build impressive personal projects.

Delet

Attached: 1634005417015.gif (200x241, 507.76K)

If you have to introduce numpy to an user in his junior, he’s ngmi.

Awesome sounds good, will be brushing up on this. Just curious once you switched careers will it be difficult for you to go back to engineering? (Wouldnt be worth it but just curious). Were you ever questioned in interviews or whatever why you transitioned?

It's literally just matlab though. Same for matplotlib, as well as all of the numpy-derivatives like tensorflow and pytorch.

Data science seems fake and gay and not recession proof. Is it actually real?

Then tell user to learn python lol. That’s the basis for pytorch, tensorflow, scikit, etc. like telling user to do resnet or transfer learning before k-means. You forgot the part where user learns a little programming first

I make nearly $200k with only a few years of experience. There is no way you can match that as an ME given the absolutely fucked state of American industry, so it doesn't really make financial sense to go back, even if you're nostalgic for it. If you play your cards right you can do ML/data science in an ME-adjacent area, and use some of your domain knowledge. I work for a semiconductor manufacturer now.

It's only fake and gay if you suck. High IQ ME chads dominate everyone else.

Python has very simple syntax, and like matlab, if you're relying on language constructs like loops and if-statements instead of pure array operations, then you're doing something wrong.

This.

You're signing up to be a grunt for your first 5 years out of college. The only real way to start making better money is to find hands on field-service work or find a different field entirely. Bonus for field work is that it separates you from the other slugs who never leave the office or have cause to think about anything in the real world - troubleshooting, repairs, etc. Cons are you will probably have to travel to do it and won't have as much opportunity to develop higher level design skills, if that's what you're interested in.

Regarding the latter - no ME outside of professional motorsports or aerospace is doing anything interesting. It's basically all reinterpretations of older designs under new budget constraints, with more automation. Unless you're really lucky and find an employer with deep pockets, companies generally refuse to pony up the capital for R+D of groundbreaking shit because they can't realize a profit from it by the end of the month. It sucks.

> MSME, 10 years experience in the field

Bachelor, Male, Single and Ready to Mingle

>The only real way to start making better money is to find hands on field-service work
>dude just repair air conditioners at night lmao
Never again. Fuck. That. Shit.

He gets it. Thank allah i an in aerospace R&D. The goverment is slow and the pay lags industry, but it’s completely recession proof, comfy, and interesting work. 36 hour weeks, cheap healthcare and a good 401k match too.

Bachelor's of science biology

Attached: med - Copy.png (1334x750, 1.31M)

It does suck but at least you're getting paid for 80 hr weeks when you're expected to work them.

The toll it takes on your health isn't worth it, and the pay was still shit anyway. Fucking breathing in glass insulation, people getting their fingers chopped off, and electrical explosions. I only did it for a while because I needed a job. You know this country is fucked if it's sending its best and brightest to become motherfucking repairmen.

MSME here of 10 years.
I got into testing some really cutting edge stuff and am now a test engineer. Very hands on, quite a bit of travel to test sites, not a boring desk job, good variety.

Made a move recently and got a big pay bump after being at one company 8 years.

I’ve had to write a lot of data post processing scripts in python, and also some modeling in python for developing design points and test conditions.

I think analysts get paid pretty well but it’s very boring. Design engineers are pretty common and not paid as well as analysts. Try to get into CFD or structures and master it and you can always find a job. But that can be really boring and repetitive but it’s a nice deal job. If you become a go to expert for a well funded company you will command a high salary.

Test engineering doesn’t usual pay that great but it really depends on what field and what company. Aerospace is pretty cool if you get to work with airplane or rocket engines which is always evolving new technology.

It’s very field specific. Energy and oil pay well, but manufacturing usually pays lower.

A masters degree is the way forward for the field, all of the cool jobs specify masters preferred in the job description.

I’ve done a little bit of everything the field has to offer and test engineering is the most fun in my opinion. But you have to be pretty smart as you will be doing a lot of trouble shooting things in the field and things rarely go perfect the first time.

I’ve considered switching to data science for a higher salary since I’ve gotten pretty skilled at python. But my salary is getting higher now and I’m doing such cool stuff I’m sticking with Mech E for now. For someone with less experience and lower salary, I think the switch makes a lot of sense.