Barrier to entry, learning curve, and the dumbing down of everything

If you are old enough, supposing an age of about 30 years old or more, you would likely have noticed a drastic change in computer interfaces within the last 20 years or so, which is even more prominent if you extend that window to 30 years. More specifically, computers were less personable, less friendly, and their interfaces required more thinking and understanding in order to get anything done. To start with, see my pic related, an example of an error screen (often called blue screen of death) from Windows 98. Does it scare you? Perhaps, and that is its purpose. This screen is used to indicate that something has gone significantly wrong, and it includes some indicator or error code which you are obliged to investigate, or seek a person to do so on your behalf. Not friendly, but very functional. The message used stern terminology, in the manner that a computer should; it is reporting something to you in its role as an appliance, without any personality or feeling, but with a degree of fact and technicality.

Attached: Win98_BSOD_example.jpg (1280x720, 78.76K)

Other urls found in this thread:

polnewscentral.com/?page=qui&id=2315
archive.is/qpf1y
polnewscentral.com/?page=pol&id=2962
archive.is/mD3nF
polnewscentral.com/?page=joggers&id=2291
archive.is/7kCKI
polnewscentral.com/?page=other&id=2331
archive.is/asBMN
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Compare this to the equivalent message on Windows 10, as per pic related. Do you see the frowning face? Do you note the words used to describe the event?
>Your computer ran into a problem
You don’t say?
>We need to do XYZ
We? WE? There is no we. There is you, the user, and there is it, the computer. There is no personality to speak of. Why is a machine assuming a bond with its master? Does it make the weak-willed feel better about using it? This principle, of course, applies to other areas of computer interfaces, where the irritating use of we, us, and other personable terms is applied to the appliance inappropriately.
In fact, the standard interfaces from this era were built in a similar fashion, even down to the words used to describe things. Drivers were a required step in the installation of any new peripherals you acquired, such as a printer. In order to use these things, you would have once had to install drivers for your operating system using a provided disk, and ensure that they were configured correctly. The burden was on you to ensure that you selected things properly. Today, these things are done automatically for you by the machine in almost all cases, you need merely wait until it tell you that things are in order. Surely, ease of use and simple terminology has made the computer a better machine than it was in the past? Perhaps. Let us examine another example first.

Attached: Win10_BSOD_example.jpg (1024x574, 50.92K)

The personal automobile is very much analogous to the personal computer in terms of the sorts of changes it has experienced over its ubiquity, thought hat timeframe is many decades longer. What sorts of changes are these? The operation of the car is most obvious. Do you know what a choke is? Did you know that people would have pumped the throttle a bit before starting their cars in the past? These were standard procedures to merely start a car in the past. Your grandmother would have done this. Today, you press the start button and wait until the engine awakens by some mysterious force. And what of actually operating the car? A driver 70 years ago would be required to understand the clutch and manual gearbox, as well as some basic correctional manoeuvres if you live in a place with snow. You, today, can place the automatic gear selector in D and let the traction control system keep you on the road. In fact, some vehicles now will do a degree of driving for you, with various lane departure assists and radar equipped cruise control systems. As for maintenance of automobiles, those of the distant past required a rather extensive schedule in order to stay properly functional, much of which was expected of the owner; things like carburetor tuning or engine timing alterations. Today, an average vehicle can be totally neglected, sans brakes and oil changes, for over a decade before things start going awry, as many of these things are automated with computer systems. Have these changes made the personal automobile better? As per the personal computer, the answer is not a simple one, not without caveats.

facts
there's a good argument that the internet went to shit when it got easy enough for niggers to use

The tragedy of improvement of technologies, is that the improvements come at a substantial cost. Have computers and cars become better than their infant instances? For most intents and purposes, yes they have. One would generally find that personal computers reached their peak in the mid-2000s, during the era of Windows XP. At this time, such computers were a well-balanced system, which was friendly enough for non-enthusiasts to accomplish their work with it in a reliable manner, but still formal and accessible enough that enthusiasts and expert users could do what they wanted in a highly technical manner as per their previous knowledge, without the frustration of simplified interfaces restricting their options. And automobiles? The generally agreed upon peak of the automobile in its functional role is the 1990s, at which time the advancements of simple computer-controlled systems had solved most of the unreliability problems of the past, while not yet becoming an interference in the use or repair of the vehicle. Pic related, the late 1990s Toyota Camry, often used as an example of an unkillable car.

Attached: toyota-camry-iv-xv20-[25940].jpg (970x709, 107.38K)

But the cost of these improvements is that there was, thereafter, little left to truly improve. What is a car’s purpose, other than to reliably accomplish transportation of some variety? If the car has reached a point of near perfection at this task, how can you make it better? Are there diminishing returns on further improvements to fuel economy or safety? Once the car had been essentially perfected, the profit machine still needed to justify making new models, and thus forms the tragedy of improvement. Since the turn of the century, the car has been filled with additional gimmicks and bullshit in order to justify the existence of new models, and profits for automakers. The car is no longer improved as a transportation tool, but rather as a platform to add more decadence and nonsense. The computer, though always increasing in technical capacity, is no more useful to accomplishing real tasks than it was a decade prior. Once the barrier to entry had been lowered to a point where everyone could get in, the only way forwards was sideways, into the territory of features which are either unrelated to, or to the detriment of, the prime function of the machine.

What, then, is left in this world for enthusiasts? What retains its integrity? How could the integrity of the unspoiled specimens be preserved?

Attached: Prince-of-wales-hotel-waterton-lake-waterton-lakes-national-park-alberta-canada.jpg (1920x1200, 454.11K)

you digits are almost based
I agree that the smartphone was the biggest knife in the back of the internet as it once was, though computers and websites swiftly followed suit in order to accommodate dimwits.

nice effort posting
have news bump

>From grief to redemption: Queen Elizabeth’s reign encompassed British Jewry’s ascent
polnewscentral.com/?page=qui&id=2315
archive.is/qpf1y

>Queen died with Charles and Anne at her bedside as family members including Andrew, Edward, William and Harry made dash to Balmoral in vain after doctors gave her just hours to live: King to address nation today after death of his beloved mother aged 96
polnewscentral.com/?page=pol&id=2962
archive.is/mD3nF

>Carnegie Mellon Professor Uju Anya Wishes “Excruciating Pain” On Queen Elizabeth In the Hours Before Her Death
polnewscentral.com/?page=joggers&id=2291
archive.is/7kCKI

>North Korea makes nuclear policy ‘irreversible’ with new law
polnewscentral.com/?page=other&id=2331
archive.is/asBMN

Attached: 1591431953338.png (539x617, 216.98K)

I don't think niggers use it much when you really get down to it.
They'll use chat programs, and tik tok and google play store.
They may not even have a web browser that isn't provided by google or apple directly by default and they probably don't use it much.
The problem is kikes, chinks and women.

Attached: 1623502969557.jpg (636x466, 18.4K)

you are correct, but there is now an expectation that companies cater to retards, thus making it a shitty experience for anyone with more than 3 braincells.
thanks user
care to elaborate?

This is a quality thread that the janitors will certainly destroy.

checked, I'd imagine that their friends in Tel aviv are getting their nightly WMAF+PTG+ukraine slide threads greased

wrong post

I like your thread OP. The new age, cringe as hell, simplified UI designs of modern websites and applications also makes me question motives.

I want to spend an afternoon trouble shooting this $1200 machine that I use to jack off and call people nigger, shut the fuck up you dweeb. Go be a fucking nerd on Facebook.

i wish you could have made your point in less than 5000 words. i'm assuming you're saying true things but i'm not reading all that

lol why would you blame the phones then? the problem is obviously niggers and women allowed on the internet. even better, its allowing anyone stupid somewhere youd rather not see stupid shit. you have to have the gall to prohibit, not complain about random tech. until then, youll be complaining about everything, always having the wrong target in your sights.

Attached: 1534307140767.png (720x644, 66.56K)

I think the term you are describing is 'peak'

we reached peak car with the camera
we reached peak computer with windows 10
we reached peak phone with iphone

there is no place to go but SIDEWAYS now.
you can recognize this in the markets with growth/high earnings/demand. during periods of innovation/growth, companies in these / other spaces will flourish. during times of SIDEWAYS, they will sustain or contract.

THE GREAT CONTRACTION

All good, polanon.
I loathe most strongly the language used, as I mentioned above. We, us, personality, friendliness and softness.
Fuck that, I want a machine that speaks like a machine, a machine that does not pretend to be my friend. I want websites which accomplish their task, and not a kilobyte more.
This very website is a great example, as simple as it needs to be. Or rockauto.
even smartphones have become more retarded than their initial iterations.

For many years, people knew him as the computer guy. The buddy that would fix up your equipment, pronto! He really was a genius but now that the tech has been simplified, he doesn’t feel like he is needed anymore. Hence the seethe posts, long winded and likely to put you to sleep.

do it ducimo do it slowly

I am not blaming the phones, user. The phones and cars and computers are tools. In fact, I don't know that I'm blaming anyone, though jews must be a the root of it. I am just talking about something I have noticed, with no obvious answer.
TL;DR technology becomes better as it improves so it can be marketed to retards, but after it reaches a certain threshold of accessibility it becomes shit because of said retards.
I suppose that this argument extends to society itself

The kids coming into the workforce cannot troubleshoot worth a damn because of growing up with iphone type interfaces.