The impact of Chegg/Quizlet/Coursehero etc

If anyone has been in college recently, you know these websites.

Basically every homework, test, quiz answers for virtually ANY CLASS at 99% of colleges will have the answers uploaded by students.

My college did an anonymous survey and found that 90%+ students used these resources to cheat in their classes

I certainly used them, especially during the pandemic. Have a quiz? Just copy and paste the question into google and boom the answer pops up.

Coursehero is even worse, where you have the specific documents uploaded for specific classes (My school blocked coursehero, you couldn't access it on wifi)

Which leads me to wonder, what the fuck will be the impact of this shit? Its not like students have never cheated before, but this shit makes it so accessable.

How will society be impacted by zoomers cheating in all of their college classes?

Attached: Frame-82.png (1920x1080, 98.45K)

I used all of these to get through my electrical engineering degree. I still turned out fine. All college is meant to do is teach you how to manage yourself and your time. Knowing random tidbits of information and being required to regurgitate them on a homework assignment or test is nonsense. Obviously this mostly applies to non-Ivy League

is cheating in college really that prevalent? i mean it makes sense. most people are absolute morons, there's no fucking way that many people are actually succeeding in college without cheating.

It is.
Unfortunately the classes make usage of brutal autograders, which will often mark your problem wrong without a retry, or you will get it wrong over and over and get zero partial credit for your work.
So you have every incentive to use them, or risk getting a whole letter grade or more lower.

college is a scam. what a joke

>Which leads me to wonder, what the fuck will be the impact of this shit? Its not like students have never cheated before, but this shit makes it so accessable.
The classes are balanced in a way that these resources are necessary. Many classes are focused on tedious busy work or many trick-question like questions that you are just harming yourself by not doing it.

Frankly the fact that these resources are not only prevalent, but necessary is the biggest damnation for the entire academic industry. Nothing else signifies the sheer amount of bloat that universities have tacted onto their degrees.

As long as it is a STEM degree, and you are able to game the system as much as possible for yourself then it is worth it.

If your major is an art, or a studies and if you have to pay more than $20,000 in tuition a year it aint worth it. Pick a state university or a community college to get your credits.

>The classes are balanced in a way that these resources are necessary.
If you think these classes are necessary, then you're going to be in a world of hurt in master's degree or even in upperclassmen classes.
These are there to filter out idiots from going forward. And if you need this to survive, I think that states a lot about your condition...

Most of them aren't gonna pass internship or interview questions so it won't matter.. unless they're sheboons

Cool story.
You talk like one of my bitchy elementary teachers from the early 2000s who said "If you don't go to college, you will be flipping burgers at McDonalds at age 50".

How about this, you take the ACS exam, read what those fuckers write for questions, answer as best as you can honestly, and hope you can pass with at least a 60%. Because it aint happening, they use so many trick questions on that, where it deliberately sounds like it is asking you one thing, but really is another. And they expect you to spend enough time to understand that part of the question, when you got around 100 of them to answer.
Is it really fair to put my ability to quickly understand this trick question, or is it more important that I should be able to identify and understand the properties of a hydrocarbon or organic molecule that said question is asking me?
Granted, I didn't cheat for said exam. But I got really punished for not doing so. I know that there where people in my class who did use a service like Chegg, and ended up passing and impacting the overall curve of the class.

Frankly, getting a masters or a doctorates is overrated. You pay a higher rate of tuition so you can do some research for your university. Really, how much is a graduate degree going to improve my employability as opposed to a double major or getting a minor in something like mathematics or business.

Its best used to quickly finish busywork homework.

Attached: trannyhou.png (1080x1158, 1.82M)

user most of the exams in a chemistry standardized exams are brute force memorization. That is the reason why the professors give the excessive homework, so you can memorize it from shear repetition.
And honestly, for the best achiever's they tend to find the process of working enjoyable rather than tedious and I honestly think maybe you're not cut out for chemical engineering.
>double majors are more desirable than master's or doctorates
lmao

Well I am not a chemical engineer, thank God. I'd think I'd go postal if I ever came face to face with the guy who wrote that test.
Regardless if that exam is that much about memorization, then simply put the professors should just teach better, or the class should be worth more credit hours.

And what is with this condescending attitude you got mate? Are you someone who actually majored at Harvard and has his doctorate in something?

You are retarded. Chemistry cannot be memorized. It had to be understood. Good luck memorizing biochem retard. Memorizers are filtered by biochem very hard. Chem require 3d thinking and spatial visual intuition, not memorization.

I literally used chegg during exams in college. But you know what? Why the FUCK can't professors just come up with new questions? College is a goy cattle fucking scam. I learned everything I know from an electrician on YouTube and got my good goy stickers in college after cheating with chegg. A degree is worse than meaningless to me. But at least I make fat stacks.

Since the lockdowns most exams were online and open book (anything else was unenforceable). Some professors went full retard and made the exams a lecture trivia exam to "stop the cheaters" which were dogs hit at evaluating anything in the material. Some profs actually adapted properly and made their questions more in depth on the material which led to very fair feeling evaluation.

Since the internet exists, memorizercels are seething and coping that their high memory low intuition/creativity won't be mistaken for actual intelligence anymore and trying desperately to stop the revolution. Being organized with the information you have access to (indexing, knowing how to search and filter relevant information) is far more valuable in the modern age than trying to be a walking talking Wikipedia about one subject.

The same kind of help was available to fraternities… what do you think they do there? Party? Help brothers cheat, dummy.

Speaking of which, my main strategy for these open book, open note exams was to just make a well organized "cheat sheet" of my own. Which really was just a more condensed and revised version of a self made study guide.
I think these are some of the best things teachers can do for exams, since making the card is usually more valuable then something you may forget and read off of it. So long as you do it right and don't just blindly copy information that isn't particularly useful.

Having taken all the ACS standardized exams, I can vouch that the organic one is particularly egregious, while the others are mostly fine.
The inorganic one is also a bit funky, but that's because the material inorganic classes cover can vary wildly.

>Good luck memorizing biochem
It's literally just memorizing mechanisms. Chemical intuition makes that 1000 times easier, but at it's core biochem is memorization.

Learn chemistry is impossible in a classroom setting. Only by doing labwork and reading current literature can you actually learn chemistry.

I tried to be honest most of the time, but I let the Indian students slip me the completed test for one of my biology classes (if they hadn't offered I probably wouldn't) and I used Chegg for my programming final.

Its expected to cheat in India.

I used something like that and got previous year exams from people but it’s not cheating unless the professors are so lazy they keep the same exact questions for everything. They use software to mix up the variables and then you use the example from the study site to see how the problem is done. Same thing with exams. You use the old exam as a practice then take the new one with different problems. They would even give you the previous year ones in some classes. Maybe for a history class or something with multiple choice you could cheat on the homework but if you are in a decent stem program you gotta use every resource at your disposal, and you’re not getting away with not learning the material

Open book and sources with actual in depth questions that are created by the professor in their own words have been some of the best exams I have taken since going back to school in 2020. Still have a time limit. Still have to upload your work (if required). Felt fair. They made sure that you actually understood it not just regurgitate facts. And if you spent time looking up every question there was no way you would finish the entire thing in the time allowed.

I suspect 90% of the users are Asians. Uploaders are probably altruistic whites.

All these websites cost money to use effectively. Anyone who cheated in college should have their degree revoked. Consider the following. Success is statistically relevant to higher education. Cheating your way through college just so you can support yourself and ride the "I'm educated" high is pure scam and scum. Anyone who cheated in college is a pure fag and should have their degree revoked.

>But mommy, without this degree I won't be rich!

College cheaters make honest college students look and perform worse because of the GPA difference. Not to mention the big russian roulette of getting into a prestigious university, where these people will cheat anyways for the recognition. It's really nothing new.