What was Y2K?

What was Y2K?
I was born in 2000, oldfags what was it like?
Were people seriously freaking out about that?

Attached: Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 22-49-14 y2k - Google Search.png (371x520, 216K)

also why the fuck are those the pictures when you google it
half dressed kids and fags wtf

over here it was called the millennium bug
it was a nothingburger

i slid my dick into my ex wife at the stroke of midnight

The media and idiots were freaking out. Everyone else was over it long before it happened.

Yes it was a big deal and it got companies to spend a shitload of money. Same thing as the 2020 "pandemic". You will see another big thing in 2040'ish and the cycle continues.

How big of a deal?
What was the media saying about it?

The media tried to hype it up as the end of the world, because of course they did. No normies cared about it much, other than joking about it.

A lot of work went on to make sure it was no big deal in the computer world.

What kind of "work"?

The real problem will be when Unix time hits the 32-bit intiger limit in 2038

Updating old programs and shit.

Set system clock to dec 31 99 11:59
wait 1 min

it was mostly a meme
before memes were a thing
there were hardcore fundamentalist types who thought the rapture was coming
there were prepper types who built underground bunkers because they had some notion that globa pandemonium was going to break out because
>everything has a date based computer in it these''a'days and after 99 the whole world is going to come unwound when everything resets to zero
or some shit
most of us just made jokes about it and played that Prince song on New Years Eve for 2 years in a row

I was worried until I set my computer clock to 2001 and everything worked fine still.

I remember going to a food canning place with my parents.
They stocked up on a lot of shit that lasted years.
I remember Y2K and nothing happening.
I was born in 1990.

what the fuck are you serious lmao

Same. My dad purchased a bunch of used tapes to sell for cash too.

Some retards were like if the computer goes from 99 to 00 on dates then it will explode and take all your money with it.

We stayed up to wait for the clocks to break.

Yes

I was worried about DOS I suppose, especially since POS still ran on it back then.

nah, just your mother would die in her sleep

Oh so it was like a bank thing? People were afraid of losing their money?

retards thought airplanes would rain from the skies, hospitals would stop working, nukes plants would fail, etc

that, and clocks that run security systems and cameras and automated phone routing and logging systems and etc etc

No
Computers weren’t as pervasive and smartphones didn’t exist back then so Y2K was like a nerd meme that got mentioned on your local news a lot
1984fag here

No one really cared. The (((news))) tried making it into something big and interviewed a few crazies. It was comparable to Black Friday. No one gave a shot but a few hundred crazies were intense about it, and you never saw these people in real life.

Yeah the news was all like airplanes won't know where to go and they'll drop out of the sky and the electric grid will go down because if a computer goes from 99 to 00 it will stop working. But idk look at the world after y2k and maybe they were right shits pretty fucked up now.

Nobody was freaking out over it.

What happened on that night? Any riots or some shit?

no because everyone knew it was bullshit

it wasnt a big deal honestly. duno how user could possibly compare it to the 2020 scamdemic.

It's definitely not whatever the fuck is being passed as y2k in that picture
This

Bullshit. Our economy is still fucked from the bank run that happened.

I got really wasted and banged a fat chick because new years.

It makes me wonder if we will look back on covid in 20 years like you guys are saying Y2K was.
I sperged the fuck out over the vaccines so....

Born in 89, I told myself that I need to remember that night and to this day I can recall the feeling at new years! I remember the advertisements and the fake patch CDs and listening to them talk about it on the radio.

why the fuck would there be riots lol
it was just some people worried about electronics fucking up with the date.
it was never a huge deal, just some fear spread by the media but never to the point where anyone got emotional about it

i sat by a campfire under dark skies, set off some fireworks, and watched shooting stars.
it was like any other nye

So it wasnt just an american thing? Were multiple countries freaking out leafbro?

COVID was a worldwide 24/7 psyop that shut down economies, put people into lockdown and forced them to take experimental vaccines
the millenium bug was just some people in the media hyping up the possibility that some tech could fuck up because of the dating issue. literally not comarable.

Women and niggers.
The Jews are probably responsible for the algorithm of those pictures.

Fake patch CDs?

People thought the world was going to end because computers were having problems converting dates to the new 2000 date format. The two digit system was previously designed for 1900-1999. The idea was that anything running off of a computer system would stop working and cause the infrastructure to fall apart but they were able to develop workarounds in time

people who didn’t know shit about anything saying and doing retarded things like thibking ctrl+alt+del was gonna permanently “break the computer”

Did they put sewage in my food/drink?

There was some cult that had their members take out a bunch of loans thinking the world was going to end lol

I just meant like chimpouts lmao

It was a thing they liked to talk about on the news to keep the dumb dumbs brains occupied, there's always something to distract us.

Clocks on old computers would reset back to 1972 or something because they only had 16 bits and couldn't count passed the year 2000.

They patched it on most major systems that were still operational, and replaced anything that wasn't.
Nothing happened as a result, but it was a real problem.

I was fucking my girlfriend as the clock struck midnight into y2k. Just in case, you know

It was the epitome of the following millennium - a nothingburger.