Hexagonal city layout

What are the political implications of cities being built in a hexagonal layout? Is it based or globohomo? I think it looks cool and there are benefits for this layout. For one, 120 degree corners are safer and less annoying for cars than 90 degree corners. Also, due to hexagon properties, cities would be better optimized for travel time. Around 10% more than grid layouts.

Attached: hexagonaltown.jpg (1569x971, 684.44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

digiarchi.blogspot.com/2010/03/application-of-voronoi-diagram-into.html?m=1
worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/189812/what-circumstances-could-lead-to-city-layout-based-on-hexagons
wired.com/2010/01/slime-mold-grows-network-just-like-tokyo-rail-system/
youtu.be/thOifuHs6eY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: 587D9EE6-EF36-4DD7-B553-AFF9473A8751.jpg (960x500, 89.68K)

I...
You are making me download cities skylines again.

Looks cool, but diagonal and parallel grid systems are simpler and probably more efficient. The centers of those hexagons look pretty nice though, they have blank space for future parks and fields.

Is this shit for real? It's like they're telling people they're just worker bees living in a hive in the most obvious way possible.

Take a look... designed and built from zero in 1882.

Attached: 3892988800000578-3733100-The_planned_city_of_La_Plata_the_capital_city_of_the_Province_of-a-90_1474300952282.jpg (962x962, 682.97K)

>I'm autistic
We know

Globohomo, reject gridshit, embrace nature.

they are simpler in the sense that we build buildings in rectangular shapes, so grid systems just fit them better on a microscale. But on a large scale you could totally fit these rectangles in large hexagons and it would still improve efficiency.

where is this located?

So, Slovenian-kun, this is in western Bolivia. It's pretty interesting.
I don't disagree in terms of space management, or use of resources. But it must be pain in the neck to find streets, driving, or naming streets. Do they name each turn in the hexagon. Is it a pain in the ass to be a mail man on the first month on the job. It's just so unpractical when it comes to how to find an address, or series of addresses, without GPS. But it looks good on communal land management. There looks like there are spaces for parks in each place, so you can of communal barbecues. I wonder what the thinking was that went into this, and how it got approved, and what were the benefits and disadvantages.

Attached: Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 3.13.45 AM.png (2030x1544, 2.1M)

Is rational.

La Plata city.
Argentina - Buenos Aires province.

This is a nightmare for navigating. Grids for the win. Go play some more city planning computer games retard.

Is this like what they have on Saturn?

Attached: 1655673685564.jpg (1024x1024, 71.53K)

There are algorithms that can decide this automatically.

digiarchi.blogspot.com/2010/03/application-of-voronoi-diagram-into.html?m=1

Attached: 542554D1-E1C6-4569-8F30-EA153724F0E1.jpg (740x263, 117.76K)

Attached: DB4914FE-A26B-4BB5-9394-8C6F4FB2C568.jpg (400x346, 53.32K)

this is a thread i found that discusses potential benefits and prerequisites for such a layout. worldbuilding.stackexchange.com/questions/189812/what-circumstances-could-lead-to-city-layout-based-on-hexagons

On the q for navigations i guess it probably would be confusing at first but maybe this is becaue we're just used to the grid layout. Naming turns is what i was thinking too. After 3 turns youre back on the main road, same with grid layout. So maybe it wouldnt be that confusing.

Play some tropico this time man.

Very interesting.
I read japan used fungi to try and optimize tokyo subways. wired.com/2010/01/slime-mold-grows-network-just-like-tokyo-rail-system/

youtu.be/thOifuHs6eY
Gay reddit video but hexagons are efficient
There's a reason bees use them

Thanks, I'll save that link and read it later when I want to be intellectual.

I wonder how it would be to be a local, walking down the street, and knowing where everything is, and suddenly a car pulls up beside you, with someone asking for directions. And you have to be like "Go down this street travel half of a hexagon, and then you make a left, and travel two fourths of a rhombus, and then make a right. It must be confusing to explain directions. Usually I can be like "oh, civic center, keep on going straight, and then the easiest way is to make a right, and then it will be at the end on the left." You would have to learn complex shapes to just make giving directions easier to strangers.

The basic version of those algorithms optimized for different goals than what a person wants from urban planning.

Attached: 33E24BA7-9F00-4C26-889C-F126BEA23805.jpg (720x562, 129.67K)

Grid layouts are actually very inefficient. More natural looking layouts work better.

Attached: Slime-mould-maps-the-US-r-011.jpg (460x276, 30.81K)

>slime mold engineering
should be done waaaay more often for civic planning

Looks pretty nice except for those big empty areas in the middle and the intersections are probably not that good.

By freemasons using sacred geometry.

Attached: Brussels.jpg (253x280, 44.98K)

A grid considers every place equally important from the point of view of car traffic.

Attached: CC8BCC68-E2EC-4587-BFDB-95A6D1CF5E28.png (850x420, 225.59K)

Yeah, good way to intuitively understand why it doesn't work well. It's easy to navigate/understand though.

Depends on how much land spaces, resources, and population you have. I doubt middle of nowhere cities in flat plain states have inefficient cities because of grid layouts. But I would see set backs in grid system if you are living in an over populated mountainous or hilly country, like Japan. Even then, the centers of the cites in the alluvial plain on the shore should start out as grids, and then shift to more resource focused layouts as you get closer to hills, mountains, streams, and forests.

yea the middle parts would make more sense if they housed majority of people who would then spread out from the centers. Each district could have homes in the middle and then further out you go less important services/buildings. Would have to be on a very large scale to make sense tho.