Three Mile Island

The Three Mile Island nuclear incident had almost zero long term effects based on the radiation, but in the negative publicity it generated it was quite literally the end of nuclear in the US.

The series of events leading up to the incident are so mind bogglingly remote as to almost require intent, and Jimmy Carter himself knew that there was no danger from the plant, as he had been informed by the EPA, but never said that in public because it might piss off the hippies in the left wing.

Was this shit an inside job to kill nuclear so oil companies didn’t lose out to nuclear for power generation since they were getting their asses kicked during the gas crisis?

Attached: D2CA89FC-7F0D-4D8A-A5FF-EEA53E8741B0.jpg (678x532, 457.68K)

You are three miles off on your assumtpion

The proliferation of nuclear power, especially in the US, is part of a carefully planned attempt to destroy the planet and render it uninhabitable forever.
An array of nuclear power plants, waste sites, and weapons are intentionally placed in locations where a "natural disaster" such as a tsunami or earthquake can cause a chain reaction and irradiate the global seas

>t. retarded solarnigger
Sorry leftoid faggot, wind and solar will never be capable of baseload generation

>Was this shit an inside job t
Nah they're not that smart, just didn't let it go to waste

>The proliferation of nuclear power, especially in the US, is part of a carefully planned attempt to destroy the planet and render it uninhabitable forever.
Oh cool, the most retarded post ever

>waste sites
Most people think nuclear waste is some unusable Simpsons-type green goop.

Most people don't even know that the only difference between a nuclear fuel rod and "waste" is that the "waste" merely no longer puts out enough energy for it to be profitable because nuclear sites operate on thin as fuck margins. Fuck you and your voluntarily ignorance.

bait.kys. sage

Jimmy Carter got conscripted to clean up a meltdown in Canada that nearly killed the st Lawrence
It soured him to ever embracing nukes
Funny part is there have been plenty of nuclear events before either, people just don't get told about them
Same as how coal mining disasters are hushed

it wasn't an inside job, retarded boomers were quick to jump on an opportunity to denounce nuclear energy for no reason other than to feel like good environmentalists

you literally have no idea what you're talking about. go back.

A stuck open primary relief valve , an insane number of alarms and communications in the control panel , and the inability to learn from other plants experience is what caused TMI. The core literally melt down , however that being said , the overall response was way over blown. The movie "The China Syndrome" made this event spread like a wild fire desu.

>Was this shit an inside job to kill nuclear so oil companies didn’t lose out to nuclear for power generation since they were getting their asses kicked during the gas crisis?
No it was the classic problem of "Are my instruments lying to me?" and the problem of single point of failure.
The control computer was acting correctly, even if the system was broken. The importance of confirmatory readings and implying systems states was shown clearly at 3MI.

The problem with the nuclear industry is that they are small and tend not to share lots of operational experience with other industrial operators. If a similar problem had happened with a chemical plant of the same era it would have be unlikely to have damaged the plant due to the common practice of dependent readings.

Neck yourself

>An array of nuclear power plants, waste sites, and weapons are intentionally placed in locations where a "natural disaster" such as a tsunami or earthquake can cause a chain reaction and irradiate the global seas
not my problem, enjoy your solar panels fagget

Attached: reactorlet.png (758x936, 666.43K)

>and irradiate the global seas
Retard

There is naturally more uranium in the seas than in all of the worlds' nuclear plants combined. There are plans to produce uranium by extracting it from the fucking seawater.

Then by all means go swim in a reactor

I would honestly be fine so long as I don't dive deeply in the pools to get closer to the fuel rods. Water is really fucking good at shielding the radiation and there is more than enough to do its job in those pools.

you can actually swim in a water filled reactor and be perfectly fine, water is used as a moderator for a reason retard.

Ok I am extremely pro Nuclear - however water only shields neutrons , during critical operations the Gamma flux and radiation from activated components would smack the shit out of you almost immediately. Even outside of reactor compartments still have stay times of as low as 3 hours while critical.

Probably, the Jew Age hippies and (((Carter))) hated nuclear, the same way the german jews who sabotaged Chernobyl did.

Water still blocks high energy rays it's just not very good at it. But if you have a huge pool of water like a cooling pond it's going to effectively block everything.

That's storage, I said reactor
Reactors get live nuclides in the water, it's different from the xkcd fuel store comic
You can of course list why with Carter and not just repeat words?
Again, reactor
Not storage
You are like the people who when trump is in a suburban start discussing the limo
Shirking

What does that have to do with anything? Is this just an exercise in goal post moving.

>The reactors will irradiate all the seas on the planet
>well then swim in the reactor
>well then swim in it during a major malfunction
begone

>Again, reactor
>Not storage
Well a reactor has no room to swim in, so it's a nonsensical statement. Also filled with water in a pressure vessel so completely devoid of oxygen let alone air.

Uh how is it operating a major malfunction?
You don't know what critical means do you?
The ocean is full of water and devoid of air soon as you slip under
Pressurized too, lest it be vapor at these over 0 temperatures

Wat , I'm not advocating for swimming in the reactor coolant , nor am i the user that refereed to it. I'm just saying that normal power reactors it would kill you to even be in the vicinity of the reactor while critical let alone in the coolant.

I'm just saying it is inherently dangerous while the reactor is critical ? not a major malfunction ?

>The ocean is full of water and devoid of air soon as you slip under
>Pressurized too, lest it be vapor at these over 0 temperatures
Their is no open area you can fit a human body into a reactor core. It's all channels and pipes.