Gen Z: Ban buffets for mental health

>Content warning: This column contains references to disordered eating.

>The specific type of disordered eating I experience has not been diagnosed, but it can be described as a compulsion to eat less than needed when I’m either in social settings or when I have trouble estimating the amount of food I’m consuming.

>In theory, Stanford’s dining halls present students with the opportunity to eat as much as they need given its buffet format. Yet students like me may struggle to take enough of any of the available food when they are charged with portioning it themselves.

>Disordered eating does not affect everyone in the same way. What helps me could make matters worse for others and vice versa. Still, there are basic actions the University could take to be more supportive of students who may not get enough food otherwise.

>Provide pre-portioned options in dining halls, alongside their buffet-style counterparts, for students who experience stress associated with buffet-style dining. Stanford has been pre-portioning food throughout the pandemic, and it can continue that practice even when the buffet style returns. Like ordering food at a restaurant, receiving a predefined serving of something is much less stressful for me than portioning it myself, especially when surrounded by peers.

Author now works for the Washington Post

Attached: E84EBD99-F497-4429-9BBB-68AE0731882A.jpg (1170x1825, 1.01M)

>force feed everyone because i cant handle eating food on my own

>Content warning: This column contains references to disordered eating.

Attached: 1647890829724.png (1920x1541, 795.07K)

I hate this fucking world. Accelerate the silent holocaust.

Attached: 16mWm2WTF.png (690x1053, 907.66K)

Gen Z can’t handle scooping food into their plates without sustaining psychological trauma? I’m very optimistic about the future.

Attached: 4B19AAA0-94D1-4BE0-8CDE-7AD85B8C539D.jpg (236x250, 7.53K)

>the specific type of disordered eating I experience has not been diagnosed
You will never have an eating disorder.

Attached: 1650321869872.jpg (492x388, 97.55K)

I blame the institutionalization of our childhoods starting with public school and their power grabs over kids lives.

>Sharp stomach pains distracted me as I sit in a CS section during my first quarter at Stanford in the fall of 2017. I hadn’t eaten enough that morning, as my mind convinced me to take a very small portion of the “healthiest” vegetarian food I could find in the dining hall. I was too stressed to even attempt a dining hall lunch, and was now stuck waiting until dinner.

>After thinking about my hunger for most of the section, I made my way to the dining hall after class, but I could bring myself to eat only a plate of grilled cauliflower. And before I even finished that, it was time to go to my nighttime economics section.

>Giving all students on a meal plan unlimited access to open dining halls, providing non-buffet options in the dining halls and reminding students of the resources available to them in a transparent and sensitive manner are not big asks. Yet they could have made a huge difference for my Stanford experience.

>If nothing else, this is an issue Stanford should start addressing more proactively with students through outreach, surveys, open conversations and more. Disordered eating can happen to anyone at any time — lack of proactivity by the University can be damaging to all of us.

>disordered eating

Attached: 11111111111.gif (300x268, 695.83K)

Outreach and awareness is needed to ensure forced feedings and rationing become the norm.

>I have a disorder nobody can diagnose and I alone know what needs to be done but I think its someone else responsibility to do it.

Why doesn't this asshole just deal with his fucking problems? I'm so sick of these entitled assholes thinking that the entire world has to change because they have a mental disorder.

>Zoomer
>trigger warnings
>undiagnosed illnesses
>activism
>appeal to authority
>comp sci major
>journalist

Yeah, checks out.

I kind of have something like this. When I'm working I rarely eat during lunch break. I think my trauma is from being bullied during school lunch. So other people trigger it for me. If I'm alone or with friends i can eat whatever.

>Content warning: This column contains references to disordered eating
Content warning: The writer of this article is a mentally ill hamplanet.

Attached: simpsons-hell.gif (498x372, 403.5K)

>so mentally fucked it can't feed itself
>is at Stanford
Oh hohohoho.

Imagine being so fucking stupid you cant even figure out how to eat.
And also that you where accepted into college.

why didn't he just eat at home?

The guy can’t be that stupid. Looks like he did graduate from Stanford with a CS major. That doesn’t happen with dummies

Don’t care. Have you ever worked with or met a comp sci major? Unhinged, mentally ill weirdos. Every. Last. One.

>Have you ever worked with or met a comp sci major? Unhinged, mentally ill weirdos.
I work with a few, they constantly try to justify going the CS route instead of getting a real degree like EEng while copy & pasting shit from github.

Zoomer here who is part of the .1% not on drugs or ((therapy)). I worked hard in ((college)) despite being a FUCKING WHITE MALE and am making 70k a year but can’t afford housing. retards like this are psyops and glowie patsies making people my age look bad so ((media)) can ignore any criticism about (bankers)) we might have

Attached: 1654729232832.jpg (530x787, 82.82K)