Biden silently raised ethanol requirements in gasoline

Biden just mandated that gasoline sold in the US gets bumped from 10% ethanol to 15% ethanol.

First issue. – Raising the amount of ethanol required in gasoline will result in the need for more biofuel (corn). With farming costs and outputs already under pressure this could be problematic.

Second issue – The EPA enforces the biofuel standard by requiring refineries to submit purchase credits (known as Renewable Identification Numbers, or RINs) to EPA proving the purchases. This enforcement requirement sets up a system where the RIN credits are bought and sold by small refineries who do not have the infrastructure to do the blending process. They purchase second-hand RIN credits from parties that blended or imported biofuels directly. This sets up a secondary income stream, a trading market for the larger oil companies, refineries and importers.

The RIN credit trading platform is similar to what we might expect to see if the ‘Carbon Trading’ scheme was ever put into place. However, now that summer biofuel requirements for blended gasoline have gone from 10% to 15%, the price of the RIN credits will likely jump. This will cost refineries billions in additional expenses,…. which will mean the cost of the gasoline from the refineries will increase,….. which will mean the cost of the gasoline at the pump will go higher.

Third Issue – “Ethanol is a valuable source of octane in finished gasoline, but it is chemically different than petroleum gasoline and cannot be used in concentrations above 10 percent in small engines — like outboard boat motors, motorcycles, lawnmowers, generators or chain saws — or in any cars made before 2001. Complicating matters further, most cars on the road today still aren’t warrantied to run on gasoline with more than 10 percent ethanol. Retail stations also must have compatible infrastructure in order to sell gasoline with higher ethanol blends.” This issue is known within the industry as “The Blend Wall.”.

Attached: B0A34E38-853F-4D9F-B213-3D0DED6D20CF.jpg (1170x1602, 743.2K)

Engines made before 2001 are going to get destroyed because of this.

Silent? There was an announcement to about it and they are doing it to help ease fuel prices.

Wheeeee

Attached: 1654568625838.jpg (1024x748, 90.02K)

Putin did this!

This has been on no one’s radar. How will it save money when you decrease miles per gallon?

If I use 87 octane fuel, and now use a conditioner to remove the ethanol, will I be risking engine knock by lowering the octane rating?

It's going to do fuckall. Ethanol has a lower specific energy so sure the pump price will seem lower, but you'll have to go to the pump more often.

Wasting ethanol is irresponsible.

Possibly, what CR does your engine have?

They have tortilla riots in Mexico due to corn prices while we burn it for fuel.

Ethanol lowers your mpg, I expect prices to barely change meanwhile everyone has to fuel up more often.

Attached: Screenshot_20220124-112335_(1).png (1053x1298, 836.42K)

I mean that is ultimately one of the governments and car manufacturers endgoals.
Either you'll be rich enough to convert said classic vehicles or you get stuck on the new cell phone plan for vehicles, upgrading to a new one every few years

Buy electric, goy.

10.3*

unreal.

This cringe again?
Ethanol is unironically better than petroleum based gasoline
>cheaper to produce
>cheaper gas for end user
>better for modern engines
>better for the environment
>good for US farmers
>bad for Middle East

This government is totally illegitimate. Fucking sickening

>"I'm a brave little 1997 lawnmower, so glad to help my master again on this fine da-ACK"

who the hell is doing the rioting? the entire population of mexico is in america

It's not cheaper when you need to refill 30% more often

what does this mean for my 90s hondas?

>Third Issue – “Ethanol is a valuable source of octane in finished gasoline, but it is chemically different than petroleum gasoline and cannot be used in concentrations above 10 percent in small engines — like outboard boat motors, motorcycles, lawnmowers, generators or chain saws — or in any cars made before 2001. Complicating matters further, most cars on the road today still aren’t warrantied to run on gasoline with more than 10 percent ethanol. Retail stations also must have compatible infrastructure in order to sell gasoline with higher ethanol blends.” This issue is known within the industry as “The Blend Wall.”.
Immediate lawsuit incoming. There is over $1T in consequential costs. A Federal agency promulgating regulations must consider the costs of said regulations.

at the end of the day if my engine gets "destroyed" ill just swap in some junkyard civic motor from post 2001, no big deal

Not true. Ethanol provides additional power to engines otherwise NASCAR wouldn’t use it.