Does solar make any sense?

Summary.
Solar energy is a rapidly growing market, which should be good news for the environment. Unfortunately there’s a catch. The replacement rate of solar panels is faster than expected and given the current very high recycling costs, there’s a real danger that all used panels will go straight to landfill (along with equally hard-to-recycle wind turbines).

Attached: Screenshot 2022-05-19 at 07.55.36.png (1736x1210, 3.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-02-05/wind-turbine-blades-can-t-be-recycled-so-they-re-piling-up-in-landfills
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's a scam

The issue is storing Solar in grid capacity batteries so it can be used at night.
MIT invented the new Molten Antimony battery LMB.
Solar and wind are no good if you cant store the power.

Attached: antimony is important.png (1127x591, 67.36K)

I'm astonished that any of this is news. They last 20 years and they get shipped off to dusty shit holes when they hit their half life.
They then wind up in some dusty landfill because there's no money to be made on recycling panels.
Politicians prey on widespread ignorance.

Attached: 1642578236308.jpg (720x824, 55.02K)

They get sent to africa's secondhand market so n'dongo can charge his razr.

Sliding this thread hard with bits and shills working hard to fuck it up:

Bismuth absorbs light. but dont tell anybody.

Power storage doesn't fix that solar panels are consumables with shit yields with no incentive to recycle.

Attached: Screenshot_20211228-194450_ibisPaint_X.jpg (966x755, 237.51K)

>muh recycling is too expensive
i just don't fucking buy this story.
you cannot tell me that cutting up and melting down wind turbine blades is somehow harder than CARVING NEW ORE OUT OF THE EARTH and dragging all that tonnage through the refining processes and allll of it's losses... yet there it is, miles upon miles of exactly the metal you need sitting in landfills........

It all reeks of producers with some hidden regulatory monopoly preventing recirculated material from getting into the market somehow.

did you even try researching it? even globohomo has some decent info

bloomberg.com/news/features/2020-02-05/wind-turbine-blades-can-t-be-recycled-so-they-re-piling-up-in-landfills

What will happen if we "extract" too much of the Sun's energy?
Is there a possibility the climate will collapse if we start directing too much of the sun's energy into the panels instead of ground, air, etc.?

Solar is based. My dad has a system and he pays nothing. Energy corpos should be lined up and shot.

Just 20 years? So the whole point was to use green energy to “save the planet”, but we will continue to pollute the planet and produce “greenhouse gases” to make solar panels because you have some distorted view of how “green” they are?

>the replacement rate of solar panels is faster than expected

Because there's a massive supply of used solar panels in the US and China.

this board is fucking infested with bots. gfy nigger

Those blades are made of fiberglass and resin. You can't recycle that shit.

Looks like we win again, nuclearchads

with 7 billion less people, yeah

Attached: green_energy.jpg (962x721, 241.3K)

>The replacement rate of solar panels is faster than expected

Posts zero proof.

Honestly that’s a pretty good question. My take would be that on homes it would be fine, but if you were to place these on the ground in a pasture type area, it may cause of some problems. Since plants require sunlight to do photosynthesis. Id imagine you would be reducing the available energy to planes in the area. Perhaps even mess with the local ground temperature as well? No idea if it would be an issue since the earth is massive.
The best thing to do would be to place them in deserts only.

They brake even after 10 years on my island. I have a 20 year old panel still outputting something.

Yeah, in a calculator.
Also, if you can get a hold of cheap panels and know decent weather-proofing techniques, and you life in Florida or the SW US, installing them on your roof is a huge boon.

personally i love rare earth heavy metals from chinas huge mining facilities all over the world making big bucks then polluting every land based water source in the world and driving human illness
magnets will stick to everyone soon enough, and not just from some of the jabs
thank you solar libcuck buttfuckers

Do solar cells rot away?

Cars barely last that long.

Solar panels are a complete waste of energy and resources. They are also an environmental hazard given how much space they use.

Remember that if an energy source doesn't generate enough energy to replace itself in a short amount of time it is unsustainable and worthless.

I've been off grid solar last 3 years sure you mat have to make some lifestyle changes but it's definitely viable and pays for itself in no time with current electricity prices

Nuclear makes the most sense. Everything else is a horrible waste of resources.

Solar sucks. Nuclear is great for the base load of a grid
t. Electrical Engineer

Attached: 1647059454583.jpg (1000x555, 338.27K)

Here we have 2 fucking morons - the heat from collection goes right back into the environment YOU DUMB FUCKS
wires heating from electric flow
electric motors heating
ANY "work" done with the electricity
GOD DAMNED SCIENCE FLUNKIES IN POL AGAIN
back to plebbit for your buttfucking sessions

>does something having the sun beat on it for years eventually deteriorate
Think, user.

Production of solar panels creates cadmium pollution. Most panels made in China, China just dumps the shit into rivers. Cadmium poisoning/exposure is a genetic poison. Will fuck up your kids kids.

Photovoltaics is still in it's infancy, we need more research into shit like perovskite and borophene.
Thermal solar energy otoh is safe and effective. You just need mirrors and good old water turbines.
But as always, retards would rather chase the hype train instead of informing themselves.

solar panels in the desert could be built in such a way that you could actually grow more plants under them since the certain amount of shade would reduce the water requirements for plants to grow there

Attached: 5a7.png (957x535, 472.27K)

Grass. Sage.

no time is ackshually 20 years

>there’s a real danger that all used panels will go straight to landfill
This is literally what Africa and Detroit are for

Attached: e573f9302d84f96fa08358ebd4a71a8b.png (500x462, 84.85K)