Does anyone remember being told to donate pop can tabs so they could be made into a wheelchair...

Does anyone remember being told to donate pop can tabs so they could be made into a wheelchair? What the fuck was that all about? was that just a fucking lie? are all charities bullshit?

Attached: aluminum-pull-tabs-inside-plastic-bottle-to-recicle-155762070.jpg (800x533, 92.28K)

Yes

My elementary school was in one of those flimsy double wide trailers, they told us to hide under the desk during tornados.

>company gets enough in scrap aluminum for free
>people even go out of their way because it's a good cause
>only cost is collection
>take it to scrap
>make tens to hundreds of thousands $
>commission one wheelchair
>donate it, keep the receipt to deduct it on taxes
>?????
>profit

Do you even jew?

I have about 30 lbs of tabs. Kid told me one time they are pure aluminum and you can bargain a higher scrap price. Im such a jew ive been collecting them in a 5 gallon container from there on out

I save all my fuck tabs. Have been since 1989.

I'm not sure about those types of programs. However, I do know that all those WWII-era donate scrap campaigns you see were mostly B.S. They were mostly designed for civilians to feel like they were contributing. Metal was pretty easy to make and replace, what was actually hard was finding people to be pilots and things like that. These type of campaigns really didn't contribute that much on a large scale.

Attached: Save-Scrap.jpg (348x442, 47.95K)

I was a teacher, and schools ran campaigns to collect bags and bags of these around 2000 to 2005. No idea where they all went, or what the result was.

We donate them to shriners hospitals, churches, and schools.

Pull tabs are worth their weight in gold because of how many u can get compacted together. I ah e seen bums that collect cans just take the pull tabs and throw the can back down on the ground.

Yes, it was a lie. There was no soda tab charoty. It would have been better to get people to donate pennies.

You've never sold them?

>trailer park schools

do americans really

my mom collects them, i thought they used them to make needles or something. guess they were really planning the whole vaccine thing way ahead

he's stacking them

>you can bargain a higher scrap price
Wow big fucking deal. Bauxite aluminum is literally the most common element on earth after fucking silicium. 8.6% of the weight of this planet is aluminum kek.
The entire cost comes from the refining process because it require a shitload of heat, thus energy, to melt down.

Attached: 1507929880443.png (710x577, 29.53K)

>aluminum needles

Attached: 1649133051598s.jpg (192x185, 4.68K)

My grandfather always had a bucket of them that he would give to the VFW. I don't remember anything about them being made into wheelchairs though.

The idea is that you do not want to run out of war material. Nobody knows how fucking long the war is going to take. Can you tell me right now how many more years of war is Ukraine looking at right now? You can't.

Rarely, yea

>Current spot price of aluminium: $2.74 per kg
>Current spot price of gold: $58,292.76 per kg
I'll trade aluminium for as much gold as you have.

No, your tomato can lids have saved many lives goyim
You are a true hero

if you valued your time at $2/hour you'd still come out behind when you sell that for scrap

Uhh I don’t think you know how aluminum is made. Aluminum used to be worth more than gold.

No one ever asked me to do this

>are all charities bullshit?
Pretty much.
I think a lot of those pull tab collection drives and shit like that started when some dumb boomer teacher or administrator at the school got a FWD: FWD:FWD email or before that fax or chain letter telling them about some charity to collect whatever. That shit used to be super common and boomers believed it and fwd it on to everyone they knew.
There are also a lot of charities that are pretty shady about what they do. Like the ones that collect hair to make wigs for cancer patients? Yeah no they use that hair to make wigs that they sell to black women. Technically they probably make a donation to some charity cause, but it's mostly just a way for them to get free hair.

Alumunium Scrap Prices.
ACSR $0.50/kg
Aluminium Cans $1.00/kg
Aluminium Cast $1.30/kg
Aluminium Clip $1.40/kg

Congrats you have $21 NZD worth of aluminium. Diamond hands brother

Attached: Dr_Teeth_pink.jpg (1000x1000, 1.5M)

>Bauxite aluminum is literally the most common element on earth after fucking silicium
Carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, helium, and nitrogen would like a word with you.

He's right. Bauxite is extremely common, the reason aluminium used to be expensive is because electrolysis needs electricity, which used to be much harder to generate.
The reason aluminium is comparatively expensive as scrap is because it recycles very easily. You don't need electrolysis at that point, you just melt it down and reform it.

based and hillbillypilled (or "hill-pilled" as i have recently taken to calling it)

Bums really are retarded jesus. Must be all the booze and meth they ingest who fried their brain, because they are surrounded with real gold : enamel plates.
Just a screwdriver and it takes 30 seconds to steal one. They are worth $150-200 a pop on ebay for street names and shit. Hell, even house numbers goes for $30-40 a pop.

Attached: il_fullxfull.984562007_rppk.jpg (1500x1000, 259.82K)

Quick and easy accommodation for growth - learned how to play tuba in a grade 5 trailer lol.
Was a rare time for hs in 2004, every school had one before they could build more schools. The city I grew up in was a boomin' then and I tell ya.

C'mon chud, hobos can't stack gasses. Ofc i'd mention only solid elements.

Lol.
I thought it was for nickle!
My teacher had a jar and a sign for those things, never donated any because never really drank pop, sad thing is it would fill up really quickly now that I look back.

My school did penny drives too

For the space needed to store there's a good weight of aluminum in those. My friend gives them to the Ronald McDonald house or something. He collects them from everyone's cans at gatherings.

The saying in college was if you filled a milk jug you could sell and have enough money to buy a keg. I never knew anyone to actually do it.

We have them here as well they’re called portables

yes, in florida we had "portables", a shack made of pine. they were pretty good termite food. no a/c, windows painted shut. good times.

No it's a real thing the following is off their site:

Tabs Collected 76 Million ; Equipment For 19 Children ; Wheelchairs 13 ; Aluminum Recycled 62,252 Pounds

We have purchased adaptive equipment for 19 children including 13 wheelchairs, a lift for a van, a movable seat for an accessible van, equipment for an accessible bathroom, a hospital bed, an adapted tricycle and surgery for a cleft palate.

>he doesn't know about the chemistry hobos

>Couldn’t find pilots
I dunno, when I was 17-18 there were these two old ww2 pilots that always came into my work, both of them were talkers always looking for a conversation. From what they told me there was very little training and if you were stationed in Africa there were basically no rules, as long as you were sober enough to climb into the cockpit you were good to go

Most of my schooling was in trailers.

yeah, i never did that. seemed stupid.

Oy vey that's the administration fees goy

Still trying to find the key to where the quarts from laundry mats go...

Those went to the Pacific ocean to begin the plastic island scam

I remember

Accommodates for overflow. Had them in my middle school when another local school burned down. Gotta put the kids somewhere.

Then good thing you kept those nickels, after the LME's metldown and nickel short squeeze on the futures market, the price keep going up and stocks are literally depleted. We are entering the era of metals scarcity. Now all copper and nickel coins over the world are worth more in melt value than their face value. That's why the governments don't produce any. Cash is devaluating way faster than we can extract commodities.

Hobopill me fren

Best way to donate is to donate time in person for a cause. Do it this way so you can sniff out the liars and save money. If you realize your time is being wasted just bail out and ghost. Just don't get sent off to Africa or some 3rd world island or "camp".