Is it right to do terrible things for the right reasons?

In March 2006 I began working at a national laboratory in the western United States. I have been doing that for almost 20 years, and over that time I have performed some horrible acts. You know, we would say that things were a bit out of the ordinary.

I have come to question if my actions are right or if it was right for me to commit those acts and for me to believe that it was right.

I am curious what other people's views are. If the work that I did was ethical. If my colleagues acted in a decent manner. Do I have to feel guilty for doing those things? I know the answer but I want to know what other people believe.

Attached: 6497D3FC-FD81-4482-BCE4-5E2CE4A6694C.jpg (1000x708, 143.27K)

What are the right reasons for you? A paycheck?

People do not think about what they want from their work, and more about what they want from their life. Work is for the paycheck and a means of self-satisfaction.

there is no right reason to commit terribpe acts.
you know this.

We were told that we were working to enhance our national security. But after many years of doing our job, I no longer believe that. I think we do the wrong things because we are afraid. That’s the reason we fight wars. When we start to have to ask ourselves, “Am I afraid?” and we find out, “Yes, I am,” then the question is: Do we need to be scared to do the right things?

What the hell were you doing, creating weaponized viruses?

Maybe I have misconstrued my question. What they were suggesting is that it was morally right to do horrible things in the name of the national security. And so we're talking about the moral justification of the act, which for us was justified on the grounds of national security. It was a very important, well-respected act.

>Implying it's for the right reasons

LOL

Convincing people that doing horrible things is in the name of "national security" is a tried-and-true tactic of governments that want to quell moral uneasy. Other variations: "just following orders", "it's for the greater good", etc.
That said, morality is itself just an older psyop from the iron age, which governments employed to pacify their populations.

But if morality itself is just a trick of the mind and it is impossible to know what is right and what is wrong, wouldn't it be more practical to do what is right as it has been dictated to us? A soldier obeys orders because they have been given to him, not because he knows that he is doing the right thing. But we all know that we are doing the right thing.

>I did terrible things but am I okay?

What did you do user? You want us to judge you but won't give us the information we need to judge?

>morality itself is just a trick
It's not. Morality is inhernet, sollipsists are evil sociopaths.

>it is impossible to know what is right and what is wrong
you need Jesus.

>2006
>20 years
your problems are more than moral

A soldier can also disobey. Obedience to authority is simply another moral value, which one might substitute for care for harm to others. Both have substantially the same function, namely to get you to behave when authorities aren't looking; to function as a "policeman in your head".
If you want to reveal whatever you want, you can do it right now. Or not.

Ends do not justify the means. Live with your regret. The fact you have it means you know you did wrong. Atone for it somehow.

It's not and the people remember the shit you goons do in the name of "national security." You wont find sympathy here nor do you deserve any for helping the machine along.

>Atone for it somehow.
Like making your victims aware what happened and helping them get justice.

>right reasons
>US
Keep lying to yourself.

Attached: 1647631308543.jpg (860x769, 113.87K)

What relevance do the particulars or what I did hold with regard to the morality of objectively terrible and wrong acts in the name of God and country? To start with, I am not interested in doing a full philosophical defense of my actions in general. That's not my point.

How does one atone for something of this nature? Or am I doomed to carry this weight throughout my life? To my family, and friends, and colleagues, I have performed exceptionally and have received several accolades and acknowledgments for my work. But the fact remains that I am a sinner.

With little to no fine details what do you hope to get from me? You know better than anyone else user and if you truly care about atoning then how about you meditate on it. Are you religiously inclined? Trying praying to God and asking what you should do to make up for it. It's a meditation of its own kind.

You have provided insufficient details for an outside observer to have any idea of what sort of action might atone for your sins. But, it should be directed as best possible towards the victims of your wrongdoing in such a way that they are made whole and to prevent such further harm to them or others. Only you can know what that could be. If you feel like you did wrong, you did wrong. Trust your conscience, it is there for a reason. Some things are not as complicated as we try to convince ourselves that they are.

It is not possible for me to make our victims whole, or even try to prevent such things from occurring in the future. But I do live with this guilt, and I know there is only so much I can do to alleviate it.

>But I do live with this guilt, and I know there is only so much I can do to alleviate it.
Can do or willing to do? Think that over as you contemplate your secrets user. Words of the mind don't always soothe currents of the heart.