Kurt Vonnegut is interesting

So get this, I'm learning about this guy Kurt Vonnegut, an author.
He wrote a book "Breakfast of Champions" that was made into a movie of the same title, starring Bruce Willis.
Check it out.
This movie killed Bruce Willis' desire to work hard at his acting job, once the movie came out & the critical reception was poor, Bruce lost his will to work hard.
The reason is very interesting.
I won't dive into it here but here's a very intriguing scene from that movie, and from the book of course:
youtube.com/watch?v=tovWznF3c6Q

Now the real reason I brought you here.
Kurt has a very intriguing theory that is politically incorrect.

Vonnegut stated in a 1987 interview that, "my own feeling is that civilization ended in World War I, and we're still trying to recover from that", and that he wanted to write war-focused works without glamorizing war itself.[90] Vonnegut had not intended to publish again, but his anger against the George W. Bush administration led him to write A Man Without a Country.[91]

Do you think it's true that civilization died in WW1 and we're just trying to get back what we lost there?
And what could he mean by that?

Attached: Kurt_Vonnegut.jpg (800x1186, 189.59K)

>Do you think it's true that civilization died in WW1 and we're just trying to get back what we lost there?
More or less yeah

>american
>interesting

go read pic related
also, on the topic of civilization having ended earlier, go read VALIS by PKD

Attached: Cat's_Cradle_(1st_ed._cover)_-_Vonnegut.jpg (773x1185, 531.06K)

Should really consider reading some of his works.

>Do you think it's true that civilization died in WW1 and we're just trying to get back what we lost there?

It did at least kick off the last stage of this particular cycle. A bit odd that it is so drawn out this time ... seems we did bend the rules a bit this time.

Attached: rogue_Wurstfabrik.jpg (764x404, 412.8K)

Eh. Read his Cat's Craddle and Slaughterhouse Five as a teen and although the latter one is about when he survived the bombing of Dresden, I still found it to be the usual boring late 60s antiwar normie-tier shit.

Galapagos was more fun, I think hocus pocus is my favorite though.

>Do you think it's true that civilization ended in WW1 and we're just trying to get back what we lost there
Yes, look what WW1 did to the world at large. In the aftermath of the conflict, the Ottoman Empire fell, the UK became one of the biggest debtors in the world, and Austria-Hungary was dissolved. Within twenty years of the end of WW1, dozens of new electoral democracies had sprung up, signaling the death of nationalism and religion.

>And what could he mean by that
Probably that the peace conferences, treaties, et cetera, of the time led to the birth of globalism.

Btw didn't we have that conversation before? Or is my mind going off the rails?

Attached: strange_vibes.jpg (900x1081, 161.74K)

No. I've written something similar years ago and as we know by now, time is a loop and everything that has been thought and mulled over will be thought of and mulled over infinitely, so threads might seem repetitive.

LOL check this out
This is from Cat's Cradle
Kurt Vonnegut: When I was a younger man--two wives ago, 250,000 cigarettes
ago, 3,000 quarts of booze ago.
When I was a much younger man, I began to collect material
for a book to be called The Day the World Ended.
The book was to be factual.
The book was to be an account of what important Americans had
done on the day when the first atomic bomb was dropped on
Hiroshima, Japan.
It was to be a Christian book. I was a Christian then.
I am a Bokononist now.

Bokononist: In Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat's Cradle, a religion secretly practiced by the people of San Lorenzo, the supreme religious act of which consists of any two worshippers rubbing the bare soles of their feet together to inspire spiritual connection.

If you enjoyed breakfast of championships, I highly recommend 'Slaughterhouse 5'
I love Vonneguts ability to highlight how undescripably horrific something is by humorously dismissing it.

in actuality it ended after ww2. functionally speaking, ww2 was the end of the ascent of european civilization and the enlightenment values that underpinned it. hitler's defeat marked the final nail in the coffin of the european spirit, and it has been downhill ever since.

He also said the worst thing to happen in WWII was the bombing of Dresden.

Everyone enjoying 8th grade?

kek right

i keked

Attached: 1631404845055.gif (403x360, 112.12K)

>time is a loop and everything that has been thought and mulled over will be thought of and mulled over infinitely

Eating its own tail, yeah. I remember again now. Howdy. :)

Attached: uhm....gif (360x449, 966.46K)

That's because he was there.

Slaughterhouse was mandatory 8th grade reading. Definitely went over my head at the time. Liked his writing style though and continued to read his books in high-school for fun.

Certainly was a big part in shaping my character. I think Vonnegut would be a big proponent of Clownworld posting. HONKHONK

San Lorenzo was a shithole

Around these parts, Kurt Vonnegut is better known for writing Slaughterhouse 5, a rare book from an Anglo perspective condemning the bombing of Dresden.

He also wrote books like Harrison Bergeron that satirize equality. And of course Catch-22 which has become a saying in English. On the whole, Kurt Vonnegut was alright for an Anglo, and his opinions would make him a dissident today.

I dislike that he grew unable to write stories and eventually transitioned to writing essays.

Vonnegut is good German stock Hans

One of the most prophet writers ever produced, up there with Aldous Huxley. Slaughterhouse 5 and Cat's Cradle are terrific reads, but if you'd like a shorter introduction to his stuff, read 'Harrison Bergeron' his short story that predicted the culture victim worship we've all been living with for the past several years.a

Attached: billy.png (896x900, 1.35M)

*prophetic
>fugg

>Accelerate
That's more or less the impression I got from Against the Day by Thomas Pynchon.

Attached: 81Vxa7Ta++L.jpg (1650x2538, 356.57K)

another fuckin jew
EVERY TIME

>Catch-22
That wasn't him. That was Joseph Heller

>And of course Catch-22
I'm sure Joseph Heller would be glad to hear that, except for the who wrote it part.