I'm currently watching HBOs "Chernobyl"...

I'm currently watching HBOs "Chernobyl". I'm in the episode in which the Russians are clearing the roof of one of the reactor buildings. It is littered with radioactive debris.

They cannot use a robot to clear the roof because the radiation destroys the microchips used to control the robots. So they decide to use humans instead, even though they know that the humans will be exposed to high levels of radiation.

Question: Why didn't they construct a crane tower next to the reactor building, attach a crane and then use the swinging arm and a broom (or something similar) to clear the debris? All you have to do is sweep or knock it all over the side.

/sci/ has no answer.

Attached: chernobyl_cleanup.png (1440x1080, 19.82K)

> even though they know
Russians have been used by their government as expendable tools for ages. Google world war 2.

It would take too long to construct and they needed it done ASAP perhaps? idk

If Chernobyl explodes then that could backfire on Russia. The fallout and radiation clouds could cover Belarus and Russia, not just Europe. Oops. Radiation poisoning / sickness could be experienced all over the former Soviet motherland.

Attached: fallout oh no.jpg (399x301, 27.59K)

You couldn't operate anything remotely electronic near the roof, maybe if it was a hydraulic crane but still operator needs to see what's going on since cameras wouldn't be of any use potentially endangering him. So no

They could have used a periscope or had someone from a distance use binoculars.

10/10 paint job, would save and look again later

Slavs are cheaper than cranes

>Slavs are cheaper than cranes
The real answer

smoke, ash, and god knows what obscuring the area. real life isn't crystal clear 1080p views of what you're working on at all times

look...
human life is not actually valuable,
contrary to what some might tell you--no lives matter.
it would have taken time and money to create such a single-use boom-broom, whereas the man power was already there and ready to go.
stop placing so much value on something as cheap as life.
literally anyone can have children; there are no qualifications necessary.

Its massively exaggerated for drama retard. Almost none of the stuff in the TV show was real. No one was vomiting from radiation sickness after a few seconds on the roof. The whole event only killed a dozen people. Look up some deboonkings of it on youtube.

Attached: 1647069192757-pol.jpg (474x470, 24.39K)

Don't watch, it's zogged. The woman scientist secondart character who drives half the show doesn't even exist. The evil Jewish writers actually had her nonexistent character lecture and high horse the russian male scientist main character, who actually lost his life doing the right thing and resisting the communist party. Fucking disgusting. Imagine making a ww2 war movie about Desmond Doss, but they injected some WAHMIN imaginary character who chastises Desmond and steals all of the major glory. So fucking pozzed

>IMAGINARY STRONK, NOBLE WAHMIN

10 for effort.

They should add a vacuum socker to the end of your crane and suck the granite out of there. Russians are stupid.

Attached: 1646831968631.jpg (692x477, 90.53K)

I am rolling for this to happen in 2022

Attached: 5D chess.gif (410x308, 2.97M)

Most likely speed. The longer that stuff is left unshielded the more it spews radiation into the surroundings. Building large structures like cranes takes a long time.

Also a lot of debris was heavy and had irregular shapes which makes moving it with something mechanical actually quite hard and also very slow. Clearing an entire roof with 1 crane or even a few cranes would take a long time.

I recently watched MITs full lecture series on radiation, there's like 35 full lectures on youtube, interesting shit. The particles from radiation smash into materials and displace the atoms they hit which creates weak points that erode even strong materials over time.

If a woman actually does something she is completely ignored by other women. See Joan of Arc. Women prefer fictional heroes.

/thread

OMG I WAS LIED TO
oh wait, no I wasnt.

Attached: file.png (864x507, 480.11K)

Same idea that I had.
Must be because it was an army operation lead by idiots.

Don't get too bent out of shape about this. TV shows and most media (movies, books etc) lie for dramatic effect, and this isn't a documentary of the events. Most people who are experts in a specific field know this to be true. For example I work in IT and computers and that sort of stuff is always completely misrepresented in TV/Film. But it generalizes to everything, if the show has men digging a tunnel you'll have structural engineers telling you how that specific arrangement of beams would be unsafe. And you'd have pilots telling you that this specific helicopter can't be used for that specific job in that specific way. Or you'll have historians telling you minor details about military uniforms are wrong or contradictory or whatever. Who fucking cares, to spaz out about any one specific detail is autistic.

If it was a documentary where these specific details matter then I'd agree, that'd be pretty lame, but it's not.

Leaf blowers from upwind

The wolfs of Chernobyl, how are they living with radiation, i thought it took like 50 years to be radiation free.

I get the decision - the show is already an ensemble piece without adding another two dozen scientist characters. A lot of historical period movies and shows do this - combining two or more figures into an amalgamation.

Ofc crown subjects tolerate revisionism